Insurance Co. says car must be in a locked garage

-
I researched alll the companies. Hagerty had the best deal but were too restrictive on use. Weekend driving, shows, meets etc were all Good. Absolutely no daily driving.
The agent said "once a month I could drive it to work"
They asked if I had and enclosed building at my house to store the car.

Hmm.
I never had any such conversation w Haggerty.
They insured me in NJ, since 2017.
Again, with same car, insured me when I moved to NC. I even asked for the max increase coverage for my model, which insures up to $45,000. My payment even dropped from 600 annually to around 500.

Last edited:
I have State Farm with an agreed value on all of them. I have never once been asked or told how to store them.
That might be, just wait until some poor son of a ***** needs a claim at the hands of one of their clients

I have Hagerty as of about 5 years ago for the '70 Duster in my avatar and never had a rate increase or odometer check although we did agree on a 3500-mile per year thing which seems like a formality at this point. Same goes for the DMV they told me some mileage limit but I've never ever had an odometer check when renewing my collector plates. I got the sense from Hagerty that you can do whatever you want with the car and they will still insure you it just changes your rates and level of coverage. Also I moved at the beginning of the year and when I called to change my address I asked about needing to provide proof of keeping it in a locked garage... agent said "nope you're fine we don't need that." I too think they're easing up on that policy as they did ask for photo evidence of the car parked in a garage when I first signed up.

When I first got coverage I was on the phone with the agent for quite a while, she asked me all kinds of questions about intended usage, how long I've had the car, what I like to do with it, mods I've done. I was shocked that it ended up from telling her all of those things it actually made them more at-ease about how much I care about my car and how much it means to me and they wanted to agree on a value much higher than I expected for a rate quite a bit lower than expected.

Agreed value of $20k,
Full coverage including 60 miles free towing, spare parts, roadside assistance, even TRACK DAY INSURANCE!
And I pay $50/month for all that.

Only stipulation they're adamant about is they will not cover anything that happens at a drag strip. I asked them why and it has to do with the fact that drag strips are much more lenient on tech inspections and there's no required driver training or orientation to run your car down the strip. I mean you guys know how many morons take their car to the drags with zero experience and end up swapping lanes and crashing into the other car. Too risky. But even if I break my car from racing at a road course or autocross they'll cover everything!

But, will they cover you if you reside in California ?
Any CA guys have Haggerty?

I did, but recently switched to American Collectors. I have a lower premium and the policy is less restrictive than my previous policy with Hagerty.

You’d be wise to check again. I had American Collectors for about a year. Decided before I went to Carlisle I would call them and ask if I was covered while parked in the Hotel parking lot for the show and was abruptly told no. I would only be covered driving to and from the show and while parked on the Fairgrounds property. They even had agents at the show that I asked the same question and I was told no, you are not covered while parked in a hotel parking lot. So I abruptly switched back to Hagerty who doesn’t have these restrictions on driving to shows.

Hagerty also has optional flatbed towing available which Grundy does not offer in my state which also makes them a no go for me.

Last edited:
You’d be wise to check again. I had American Collectors for about a year. Decided before I went to Carlisle I would call them and ask if I was covered while parked in the Hotel parking lot for the show and was abruptly told no. I would only be covered driving to and from the show and while parked on the Fairgrounds property. They even had agents at the show that I asked the same question and I was told no, you are not covered while parked in a hotel parking lot. So I abruptly switched back to Hagerty who doesn’t have these restrictions on driving to shows.

Hagerty also has optional flatbed towing available which Grundy does not offer in my state which also makes them a no go for me.

Could be, but I'll never park my car in a hotel parking lot over night. I just know the language in the policy on "pleasure use" is quite a bit different between the two, and I felt most comfortable with American Collectors.

I have grundy. Garaged. They demanded it. Had to prove other vehicle ownership. Can drive anywhere i like. Very reasonable

I have used Hagerty 20 years maybe, never had a claim.
I tell them have no garage, my rural property has fence and gates. Never a problem, but I have cheap cars!!
Yes they don't want anything to do with drag strips.

I have Hagerty. The issue I have is you cannot back off coverage in the winter when your car is parked. I'm used to taking liability and comprehensive off since the car doesn't move. But nope, they don't allow that so you keep paying for coverage you cannot use. (No, not a Liberty Mutual fan either!!)

I have Hagerty. The issue I have is you cannot back off coverage in the winter when your car is parked. I'm used to taking liability and comprehensive off since the car doesn't move. But nope, they don't allow that so you keep paying for coverage you cannot use. (No, not a Liberty Mutual fan either!!)
Coverage on my 66 is only 389 a year. 30 grand agreed value, upped it before taking it to Carlisle this year.. just in case....

i suggest many of the people who replied in this thread call their insurance company and double check what your insurance covers and doesn't cover and how it should be stored..

most if not all collector car insurance require the car to be stored in a locked garage, most if not all collector car insurance has some kind of usage limits, most if not all will not cover something on a drag strip (its probably extra cost to get it with some companies).

Erie has something new with agreed upon value. Didn't ask about a garage like Hagerty has in the past and I can drive it as much as I want. The cost was $130/yr for my valiant.

i suggest many of the people who replied in this thread call their insurance company and double check what your insurance covers and doesn't cover and how it should be stored..

most if not all collector car insurance require the car to be stored in a locked garage, most if not all collector car insurance has some kind of usage limits, most if not all will not cover something on a drag strip (its probably extra cost to get it with some companies).

^^^This.

1) I do not know of a specialty company in CA that does not require your rod to be kept in a locked garage of some sort. If you are out and about and the car gets stolen you are still covered... we're talking about primary storage here.

2) Every specialty and regular policy I have ever read (and I've read a LOT) has a very specific exclusion for tracks, strips & street racing.... once you hit the track, strip or engage in street racing all coverage is null and void. Track & strip coverage is usually available through the sponsor of the event.

If your agent is claiming you are covered for any of the above, have them back that up in writing(email) or show you in the policy itself where these coverages are afforded. If it's not in the policy declarations.. you don't have coverage.

My2c

-
Back