Intakes, victor or airgap on strokers

-
Without knowing much about your engine other than flat top 360 w mild port Edelbrocks, I would guess that you would probably do better with deep ported Air gap unless unless you spend a lot of time above 6800 rpm. The ported airgap should raise the ceiling 500-800 rpm without loosing much if anything on the bottom. With the victor or super victor, you actually might loose ET. The super would be a better choice if you do get one.

Questions to ask yourself....
How often do I rev over 7000 rpm?..not much
Am I willing to have a less streetable car?..sure
Do I want to look cool or go fast?..go fast
Whats my Airgap flow?..not sure its just port matched with the divider milled down
what do my heads flow?..forget they were pretty decent numbers though
I'm planning on sending the heads to Hughes for their fully ported cnc job..
If you do that then ask Dave for the Indy intake

That's great....but imm has never suggested anything to me......lol
Not wanting hijack the topic just wanted to tell your you that your car is freaking
Awesome I actually have a picture of it in my phone ,using it as a guideline for my dart sport
Build. I seen it on Facebook and just noticed it on here
If you have any more pictures of it I would love to see more of it
You are even using the wheels I had in mind. Love it man.
O I'm using a Indy single plane from imm

Hmm,interesting was thinking of trying a super victor on the 360 i'm currently using a Air Gap wonder if i'd pick up any e.t.???...would i lose any bottomend off the line??..
I can almost recall the members screen name, UOP or something, he had a 360 in a RX7 (or something) and swapped out a rpm for a M1 on his stroker and lost ET.

Interesting, IMM told me I would probably be better off port-matching my LD4B for my 408 than using my M1. Granted, I'm not drag racing. I'll be doing a lot of autocrossing, some road racing, canyons, and street driving with it so the more torque I can get down low, the better.

Considering your NoT drag racing, I agree. Dual plane ported is IMO also the best bet.

I run a dual plane on mine 236/243, ported eddys and 11.5. I know IMM has lots of time in the dyno room, so I'd listen to his suggestions.

Wise man.

from the Hughes dyno test, " Again the Victor 340 is only greater than the modified M-1 from 6700RPM, but by then the race is over. "

It will, given the right combo of heads and cam make more power at 5000+ than AG but only with correct combo, otherwise you will loose mid range power for upper end. I would think if your heads dont flow 280+ then you are wasting $$$ that would be better spent DEEP porting AG or other choice. Your intake needs to flow 5-10% better than heads depending on whos theory you follow...

All I can tell you ...I swapped out a M1 and replaced it with a Eddy victor..and the ET clocks says it is faster....I believe the clocks...

Flow benches and dynos will tell you what to expect from an engine and are great for comparing parts like cam, or intake. The real proof is easily determined 1320 further down the road.

70aar, I agree completely, never been an M1 guy. Put a few on and took just as many off. It wouldnt surprise me to find an ported AG quicker than M1. NOT a Victor though.

If you and your car are consistent then I believe the strip is a "true" dyno that will give you real world results.

We took an M1 off a circle car, swapped it for Vic 340 and picked up between .5-.75 sec per lap, would have been 2 sec but tire rule kept it from hooking up out of corners...had to retard cam to mellow it out. Pulling away from GM like they were chained to post, 2-3 car lengths at least. Worked really well.

Not wanting hijack the topic just wanted to tell your you that your car is freaking
Awesome I actually have a picture of it in my phone ,using it as a guideline for my dart sport
Build. I seen it on Facebook and just noticed it on here
If you have any more pictures of it I would love to see more of it
You are even using the wheels I had in mind. Love it man.
O I'm using a Indy single plane from imm

Thanks bro. I'll send ya some pics

Your inbox is full!

I know it's been beat to death and dual plain is ussualy better then single plain , but everyone's combo is different so I thought I get your guys opinions.
Will a victor or a m1 be a better match for my set up.

This is a street/strip car. Not a daily driver, sees weekends and the odd car meet.

71 duster
360 stroked to a scat 408. 12.2:1 compression
Eddy OOTB heads (soon to be ported)
Eddy airgap
Holley 750dp soon be 850/950 or efi(undecided)
Tti headers
Lunati 242/252 @50. 533/552 lift. 110lsa
3800 convertor 727
4:30 gear

Spraying 150 shot nitrous (plate)

I'm curious because every time I see and read badass small block stroker builds there rocking single plain intakes. Even at car shows when I'm checking out other street/strippers , I ussualy see a Victor intake.

What are your guys thoughts?

Some one just gave me a Torker 340...do you have room on your wall for another intake.

Might even want to check out old boy selling that super Victor on here with your setup... Super Victor will have a lot greater plenum volume, may help. Intake swaps have to be validated by time slips, butt dyno results suck.:burnout:

Wish I would have measured the "outta the box" port size on the Super Victor. I can tell you way narrower than an Airgap. So small I don't think you could just run it on anything.

And yeah, you're right. I changed heads, cam, compression.....a lot. And I did say ya lose bottom end. But with good flowing heads and lift in the high 5's or more. I think the SV will ET better.

I think most people would think the AirGap is more fun to drive........torque monsters.

We took an M1 off a circle car, swapped it for Vic 340 and picked up between .5-.75 sec per lap, would have been 2 sec but tire rule kept it from hooking up out of corners...had to retard cam to mellow it out. Pulling away from GM like they were chained to post, 2-3 car lengths at least. Worked really well.
That is quite a lot! Any other particulars on this app like RPM' corner exit to entry, etc.?

Wish I would have measured the "outta the box" port size on the Super Victor. I can tell you way narrower than an Airgap. So small I don't think you could just run it on anything.

And yeah, you're right. I changed heads, cam, compression.....a lot. And I did say ya lose bottom end. But with good flowing heads and lift in the high 5's or more. I think the SV will ET better.

I think most people would think the AirGap is more fun to drive........torque monsters.

Victor specs from Edelbrock

SMALL-BLOCK CHRYSLER APPLICATIONS
#2815 Super Victor 3500-8000 1.21" 0.94" 0.98" 2.15" 6.30" -
#2915 Victor 340 3500-8000 1.12" 0.92" 1.02" 2.04" 4.92" 4°
#2920 Victor W-2 3500-8000 1.10" 0.90" 1.32" 2.00" 4.92" 4°

RPM AG specs from Edelbrock

INSTALLATION NOTE: Recommended intake gasket: Edelbrock #7276, Fel-Pro #1213, Chrysler #4397642 (or equivalent) for 340 and 360. Manifold height: A-4.9", B-5.8"; Carb pad height: 5.35". Port exit dimensions: .98" x 2.16"

same except the SV is listed as port being .010" wider than AG.....the AG Magnum is a bit wider but not enough to be worth mentioning.

That is quite a lot! Any other particulars on this app like RPM' corner exit to entry, etc.?

I designed and built the engine but was not the driver. If I remember correctly, exit was around 3800 and enter was like 7ish. It might have been higher. From watching the car trackside, I can tell you that it would break the rear tires loose when it was stabbed and was still having traction probs at mid straight. We retarded the cam a few deg and might have even ended up at 4. We tried both but I forget, it was 5-6 years ago. That cured the instant power snap that would break it loose and mellowed it enough to reduce spin. Guy won track champ for two years and then got tired of people claiming his ****. moved up to IMCA on pavement. That was probably the last "race" work I did, blew out 3 disks shortly there after and stopped picking up heads and blocks for the next 6 years....

Interesting, IMM told me I would probably be better off port-matching my LD4B for my 408 than using my M1. Granted, I'm not drag racing. I'll be doing a lot of autocrossing, some road racing, canyons, and street driving with it so the more torque I can get down low, the better.

340Duster247 has a lot more gear, converter, cam, rear tire, and compression.

Not nearly as street friendly as you have. And different objective. His seems like a drag car that can run on the street.

340Duster247 has a lot more gear, converter, cam, rear tire, and compression.

Not nearly as street friendly as you have. And different objective. His seems like a drag car that can run on the street.

Yup. Pretty much what I've always wanted. Like I said not a daily or anything. Now I just need to get a cage or at least a bar in there, it looks ridiculous without one when I'm at a show or meet.

So I'm gonna get off topic here and ask probably. Pretty stupid question but whatever.......
After reading combos with unported eddy heads, they seem pretty weak/slow. Maybe I'm wrong.
Anyways if mostly everyone has to get there ootb eddy heads ported (or at least cleaned up) why doesn't edelbrock do this from factory.
Or when you order them, you tell them your intake/head combo ect. And they match it all up for you.

It just sucks you spend big bucks for heads and then gotta lay down even more cash to get them right.

I know that imm/Indy/Hughes sells them the way you want but why not edelbrock.

Edelbrock mass produces & sell's heads where as IMM can handle the customer personally and on a head by head basis. A personal touch when you talk to a person that has a personality, intrest in your build and search for your goal. The talks should yield excellent results and possibly stop you from making a mistake. This is what you get (or Danm well should!) from machinist. I honestly do not think Edelbrock would want to get into that game much less actually find a qualified MoPar machinist. And how many would they need?
Or is it you asking Edelbrock to "Cookie cut" head porting jobs?
Screw that! I'll take my OOTB Edelbrock heads to my personal machinist that you very much.

Yah I get that. Makes sense. Mass production is always gonna be just that. Sucks for some of us Canadians, by the time I send my heads to the States to get re worked, and sent back. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

We have machine shops here of course, and that's probably what I'm going to do, but ya never know there doing as good of a job.

Edelbrock is a manufacturer, not a custom porter. They make money by casting and finishing things, and offer a different product, the higher flow Victor heads, if you want more; that makes sense (to me) for a manufacturer to do. Outfits like Hughes, IMM, etc., make labor $$ in the porting; that is where they can make money since they are not foundries.

Our RPM Performers were 'right' for us with about $110 worth of guide and valve concentricity checks and a quick pass on the Serdi machine to open up the ports below the valves. But we are happy with 375-400 HP for our use. (Street cruise, and spirited mountain driving.)

I understand. Makes sense.

So what flow #s should one require before bolting on a super victor?

-
Back