Is it LEGAL????

-
It is neither ethical nor legal.

The link below will take you to a thread on another site & you can follow along on the play by play.

The short version is that a guy bought a tag & title via Ebay & used them on his car. When the car came up for sale, it was confiscated & the title voided & the 'donor' VIN removed.

Ebay does have rules against selling them as well, but every once in a while the sales go through.

Link - Here is one to avoid - JS23N0B141390 update! | Best of Moparts / Tech Archive | Moparts Forums
wow and WOW... after reading that, kinda wish I had not made this post, but actually very glad I did.... you folks teaching me LOTS more than I even expected. Give me very good different perspectives to view this subject from..... thank you ALL

I know one of the of the officers mentioned in that article personally (he is now retired). By contacting another pal of his also mentioned in the article via email on a Friday night, the VIN tag & title to the 69 Daytona mentioned at the link below were confiscated the next day! :)

Interesting mopar auction in New York - Daytona parts

First do a title search, you might have to go to the main DMV.
You have to have a title if you don't and you rebuild it someone with that title can just take it from you and they don't even have to say thanks for the rebuild

That is the best piece of advice in this entire thread!

I assume you have a bill of sale from the salvage yard or can get one. Then go to your DMV and see what they say. When I titled my Dart in Colorado they did a title search to prove that the title (my mom and dad's names were on it) was valid and not reported stolen etc. After a week or so they sent me a new Colorado title and it is all good. You might have to trailer it to the local authority that verifies VINs on cars.

Depending on state etc title (proof of ownership) is independent of registration (right to drive it on the street)

If the car has no bottom (sitting in the mud for decades) it could be repaired with parts from a donor car. So don't remove the vin etc from the carcass, see about getting it titled, and repair or sell for whatever.

Good luck

I'll go over this part too;

I saved it from a salvage yard but no title.

Salvage yards were typically supposed to get titles from whoever brought them in so the titles could be voided & surrendered to the state.

So trying to title one with a previously voided & surrendered title can lead to different legal issues.

Alaskan_TA is a great source of info on this subject.

Missing Dash VIN Tag

This was my problem with a 73 Sport.

If you can get the title for it, do it and then sale the whole car.
WOW thank you so very much for showing up, you have opened my virgin eyes.
ALSO now after reading other members replies and the other reading material you supplied and noticing your friendly with retired lawman and you seem to have lots of good info on this topic stored at your finger tips and you seem to be very respectful person - PLEASE keep a very close eye on me - I am either a great liar and thief or a very green ignorant mopar lover from long ago that gave up his toys when he started having kids.... I do NOW know I have raised some red flags....

So here is the deal:
I got this car from a junk yard back in 99-01(im old so dont remember for sure when).
Parked it, or better described, dropped it in the back 20. Never touched it until a few weeks ago. But 2 of my sons did, shot holes in it and beat it up some(lots). No glass when all was good cep windshield cracked. But when I got it, a very good friend that has done business with them for 30 yrs was with me and another guy. Because it did not require to have a title to take it to the crusher then, they didnt have one. I didn't care really as I just needed some parts for my other 73 sport - profile pic. The only car i saved from my early years, and it sat until kids grown also, priorities. Soooo since my eyes have been opened - here is where I made an assumption, (it wasnt stolen) - if they had it - they had to run vin right? BUT maybe not i can now guess. but either way my buddy that done business there like forever even today can verify where I got it, so can trace back thru me to junk yard,, so nothing intentional by me in any way if it stolen - which i still believe is not, but ... YOU have informed me without saying it - it could b(dont *** U ME) ****! Now back to recently. Started taking a few things off it that were salvageable (not much after the boy's fun) but lot more than I thought. After doing research cause I was thinking of trying to sell some stuff here I started noticing lots of thing I would have overlooked - this may sound ignorantly stupid - but - like the good trim all around it, wiring harness(the reason I went over there initially), wiper motor, beizels, one quarter, bolts( had no clue i could sell bolts), just lotsa stuff i didnt realize had any value,,, after removing some stuff like the dash to get to the wiring i noticed the vin and fender tag... thought dammm sad to just trash em,,, so i save em for souvenirs... after I showed my buddy he said why dont ya sell em... My first thought was "that's just pucked up and wrong" then i thought "that's also illegal"... he talked bout it for long time... finally I thought hmmm maybe it's not and I dont really know now..... but it still didnt sound right...... SOOOOOOOO
I'M HERE!!! asking about something that makes folks quite touchy(i didnt know that till today)
Thank you very much for showing up, I very much appreciate you.... Like I said Keep a very close eye on me... I'm sure you or some of the folks that run this place can track everything i ever said and put it ina timeline and check and cross check and also check fbbo also - I will say this - im old or getting old(no i am old) and memory not the best - BUT - you will NEVER catch me lying to anyone.... thanks again and thanks all you folks that visited this thread today....rrrrrrrrrrrrr....ummmmmmmmmmmm.... even the one that I feel "attacked me"... I have a little different perspective now than before and MAYBE i "mighta" been kinda just alittle bit ummmmm wrong... still hafta do more thinkin bout that one
I do know if I ever decide to do anything with the vin and rest - It will be tested by "my friend" at the kansas highway patrol... i might be a lot ignorant on some things and a little gullible and too trusting at times but I am not stupid. Thank you mostly TA...
o yeah - I can get an antique title for it, all i need is bill of sale from kansas resident BUT also for me anyways(dude in wichita)(when he bought my 69rr) said he can do it without drivetrain even, but I need antique drive train installed along with same 4 wheels and of course vin comes back good.... This car has been sitting directly on DIRT for 15 years or so without rear end on one end and front suspension kinda buried now.... and pretty darn sure complete underneath resembles the floorboard - GONE - but not positive, never jacked it up since I dropped it ... but to me.... cause of condition of car - and so much work for an old man - not worth getting a title... still gonna have numbers checked THANKS TO YOU... neva ASSume

Glad to be of help.

Some are here to learn, some to help & some of both.

Others appear to be here to crack jokes, accuse or call names.

In any case, their behavior identifies them.

Alaskan_TA is a great source of info on this subject.

Missing Dash VIN Tag

This was my problem with a 73 Sport.

If you can get the title for it, do it and then sale the whole car.
If i "did it" i would have a lot more invested in it than i could get out of it, so doesn't make since to me - why would anyone lose money just to save a car - not me..... but good idea just not very practical to me

That is the best piece of advice in this entire thread!

I assume you have a bill of sale from the salvage yard or can get one. Then go to your DMV and see what they say. When I titled my Dart in Colorado they did a title search to prove that the title (my mom and dad's names were on it) was valid and not reported stolen etc. After a week or so they sent me a new Colorado title and it is all good. You might have to trailer it to the local authority that verifies VINs on cars.

Depending on state etc title (proof of ownership) is independent of registration (right to drive it on the street)

If the car has no bottom (sitting in the mud for decades) it could be repaired with parts from a donor car. So don't remove the vin etc from the carcass, see about getting it titled, and repair or sell for whatever.

Good luck
the car pictured in my profile is one i had for around 25 yrs... bought on payments many many moons ago last payment was spoda get title also - she lost it she said... got antique title on it with Bill of sale... so I know the process but this car not worth doing that.... also the vin is still attached to the dash which i removed but i did already remove the fender tag and the door numbers are also still there

Years ago at a monster mopar meet at gateway int in St. Louis in the swap meet area, different vendors had blank vin tags , blank code tags, build sheets , window stickers even pop rivets for sale. Who's buying them and why? So they can sell you a #matching all original muscle car? NAH. thats unethical. Not a big believer in #s matching anything.

I'll go over this part too;

Salvage yards were typically supposed to get titles from whoever brought them in so the titles could be voided & surrendered to the state.

So trying to title one with a previously voided & surrendered title can lead to different legal issues.
wow never even had a clue bout that... dam u good....like i said never thought about title as was only trying to save a few parts if there was any, discovered lots more than expected... then thought about the whole vin thing.... kinda wish i didnt but very very glad i did... u da man and very thankful to have communicated with ya

Glad to be of help.

Some are here to learn, some to help & some of both.

Others appear to be here to crack jokes, accuse or call names.

In any case, their behavior identifies them.
I think in the short time I have spent here I have associated with every(type) that you listed.... yeah much more here of the good quality to overshadow the bad ones.... but dang how they can get me going... when reading a post u showed me i saw something that caught my eye i had to reread 3 times and also copied it and saved it cause it sooooo wanna me weaknesses - argue with idiots tooo often.... here is what his saying is:

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience

OMG! If I learned nothing from that thread... this was priceless... gonna make a BIG COPY of this for me Garage wall...same wall (I HOPE TO) get pictures of every car I sold a part that it went on. I might be kinda korny but thought it be cool to have a wall full of cool old mopars that - all had a part that i once owned on it. Just me but thought that be cool

So, you've learned your lesson.
Never, ever put a Challenger R/T VIN tag on a plain 73 Dart Sport.
It will show up as bogus in the Dart Sport registry.
(And mine will be worth less. Beaks rule.)
I've got years of experience as a professional idiot.
Jester - Wikipedia

Jesters could also give bad news to the King that no one else would dare deliver. In 1340, when the French fleet was destroyed at the Battle of Sluys by the English. Phillippe VI's jester told him the English sailors "don't even have the guts to jump into the water like our brave French".[7]

WOW thank you so very much for showing up, you have opened my virgin eyes.
ALSO now after reading other members replies and the other reading material you supplied and noticing your friendly with retired lawman and you seem to have lots of good info on this topic stored at your finger tips and you seem to be very respectful person - PLEASE keep a very close eye on me - I am either a great liar and thief or a very green ignorant mopar lover from long ago that gave up his toys when he started having kids.... I do NOW know I have raised some red flags....

So here is the deal:
I got this car from a junk yard back in 99-01(im old so dont remember for sure when).
Parked it, or better described, dropped it in the back 20. Never touched it until a few weeks ago. But 2 of my sons did, shot holes in it and beat it up some(lots). No glass when all was good cep windshield cracked. But when I got it, a very good friend that has done business with them for 30 yrs was with me and another guy. Because it did not require to have a title to take it to the crusher then, they didnt have one. I didn't care really as I just needed some parts for my other 73 sport - profile pic. The only car i saved from my early years, and it sat until kids grown also, priorities. Soooo since my eyes have been opened - here is where I made an assumption, (it wasnt stolen) - if they had it - they had to run vin right? BUT maybe not i can now guess. but either way my buddy that done business there like forever even today can verify where I got it, so can trace back thru me to junk yard,, so nothing intentional by me in any way if it stolen - which i still believe is not, but ... YOU have informed me without saying it - it could b(dont *** U ME) ****! Now back to recently. Started taking a few things off it that were salvageable (not much after the boy's fun) but lot more than I thought. After doing research cause I was thinking of trying to sell some stuff here I started noticing lots of thing I would have overlooked - this may sound ignorantly stupid - but - like the good trim all around it, wiring harness(the reason I went over there initially), wiper motor, beizels, one quarter, bolts( had no clue i could sell bolts), just lotsa stuff i didnt realize had any value,,, after removing some stuff like the dash to get to the wiring i noticed the vin and fender tag... thought dammm sad to just trash em,,, so i save em for souvenirs... after I showed my buddy he said why dont ya sell em... My first thought was "that's just pucked up and wrong" then i thought "that's also illegal"... he talked bout it for long time... finally I thought hmmm maybe it's not and I dont really know now..... but it still didnt sound right...... SOOOOOOOO
I'M HERE!!! asking about something that makes folks quite touchy(i didnt know that till today)
Thank you very much for showing up, I very much appreciate you.... Like I said Keep a very close eye on me... I'm sure you or some of the folks that run this place can track everything i ever said and put it ina timeline and check and cross check and also check fbbo also - I will say this - im old or getting old(no i am old) and memory not the best - BUT - you will NEVER catch me lying to anyone.... thanks again and thanks all you folks that visited this thread today....rrrrrrrrrrrrr....ummmmmmmmmmmm.... even the one that I feel "attacked me"... I have a little different perspective now than before and MAYBE i "mighta" been kinda just alittle bit ummmmm wrong... still hafta do more thinkin bout that one
I do know if I ever decide to do anything with the vin and rest - It will be tested by "my friend" at the kansas highway patrol... i might be a lot ignorant on some things and a little gullible and too trusting at times but I am not stupid. Thank you mostly TA...
o yeah - I can get an antique title for it, all i need is bill of sale from kansas resident BUT also for me anyways(dude in wichita)(when he bought my 69rr) said he can do it without drivetrain even, but I need antique drive train installed along with same 4 wheels and of course vin comes back good.... This car has been sitting directly on DIRT for 15 years or so without rear end on one end and front suspension kinda buried now.... and pretty darn sure complete underneath resembles the floorboard - GONE - but not positive, never jacked it up since I dropped it ... but to me.... cause of condition of car - and so much work for an old man - not worth getting a title... still gonna have numbers checked THANKS TO YOU... neva ASSume
What a great, honest post.
I knew right from the start of this thread that you were a genuine guy asking for answers, not a scammer.
That being said, some people here go a bit overboard with their comments.............
I for one, am here to learn and do a lot of reading.
I try to help people on topics that i know a great deal about, but, sometimes i'm also wrong.
And i'm not afraid to admit it.
There's also a lot of great people on this site that help people, Alaskan T_A is one of the many.
If you want to see some vicious people on here, go to the ''News and Politics'' forum.
I go on there often, and i get a lot of good laughs to see people attacking each other!

On another note, i do not believe in V.I.N./number swapping. It's just not me.
For example, i had a great opportunity to do that when i built my '74 360 4 speed Dart Sport.
I ''cloned'' it exactly to what you would have bought in '74 except for the 8 3/4'' rear end.
I have (and still do have) a '74 Dart Sport that was a factory 360 4 speed car that is rough that i could have taken all of the numbers etc. off the ''real'' car and made mine appear to have the body numbers matching L code E58 360 stuff and no one would have been the wiser.
But, i left the slant 6 numbers and V.I.N. with the fender tag on the car because i thought it was the right thing to do.
And, i'm very happy that i did...............
BTW, i am a big fan of the '73 - '76 ''beak cars'' especially the Dart Sports and know a lot about them.
I also have quite a few of them in a small junk yard, parts and projects.............

Last edited:
I used to get defensive too, defending my integrity. Now, after becoming a Christian, and a Believer in; talking donkeys, giants, a man living in a whale for three days, a flat-earth cosmology, and a host of other things...... my integrity is the least of my worries,lol.

Last edited:
I used to get defensive too, defending my integrity. Now, after becoming a Christian, and Believer in; talking donkeys, giants, a man living in a whale for three days, and a flat-earth cosmology, and a host of other things...... my integrity is the least of my worries,lol.
I know you're talking about balaam, but somehow this is what came to mind

Great entertainment here as always!!

Here I go. Laws on titles and rebuilds vary greatly from state to state.

A difference in legal and ethical.

If you are at BJ starting Tue ( Barrett - Jackson auction), I bet you could find some rebodied Hemi cars. Bet there are some that have had their vin tags made from scratch. One woul be legal depending on state law, and other is totally illegal, I bet.

Selling someone a dash with the vin attached I doubt is illegal. What that buyer does with it, depending on his state laws, could be right?

As stated many times before on thee discussions, IF you replace 95% of the parts on your resto, when does it NOT be that same original car!!????? ha

Just don't say something that someone hears as accusatory.

That's all I know.

I built a nice 68 Formula S clone, but now an HO 360 (painted Orange,lol). She's a real smorgasbord of parts,that still proudly wears her slanty heritage, VINs.

Same deal with my 70 Swinger clone.

If you're going to actually drive your car then you don't want a pristine numbers matching original car. I could never beat the hell out of it and break stuff if the value in the car was its originality.

-
Back