Is there such a thing as a 5000 stall converter that is streetable ?

-
Got any video (or at least more detail!) of all that? I imagine it's a Chevrolet deal, but sounds like a war on wheels to me...

Picture 049.jpg

Picture 052.jpg

Picture 053.jpg

My car was heavy 3650 dry so I had steep gears 456-1. The higher the ratio the more heat it will make. I ran a 5000 tight on the street. Good trans cooler. The Higher the ratio the easier the car will pull . You'll need a engine that likes RPM's we normally shifted at 8000 - 8300,
It had seen up to 9300 Playing with it. Low to mid 10's through the mufflers with tailpipes. Playing lets do the twist on the stereo.

If you like RPM's 5000 stall is your daddy. 14000 rpms with a 636 on methanol. The music you would have to experience in the seat pulling 6 gears to appreciate.

Please post a video of 636” turning 14k.

what gears are you running 4.88's or lower ?
My 340 cuda has a 8" stalls to 5500 4.10 with 28" tires. The j was in my hemi rr flashed to 5000, 30 inch tires 4.56. Another 340 I had with the j stalled at 4500 if I remember correctly 4.56 maybe 27" tires.

Any converter is streetable........ if you can live with the slippage....... and have a big enough trans cooler.

Interesting, who makes it ?
Yeah the four speed knob was the giveaway , but....
Buick ,in the sixties, had an electrically switchable stall speed converter for the 400 turbo. A friend put one in his 383 Vega. Nice and tight on the freeway, stalled almost 4000 at the flip of a switch. Wired it up to tighten up again in high gear. A great idea that disappeared for some unknown reason.

I've posted before that my avatar car has an 8" ATI Treemaster t/c that stalls right at 5000 rpm. I take it to the track more than on the street but it sees more street time than you'd think. Car shows, Woodward Dream Cruise (where it was about 90 deg and sitting in traffic and a 40 mile round-trip), Telegraph Cruise (lots of traffic there!), etc, etc. Has a separate cooler with its own fan and does not go through the radiator. I rarely turn the fan on when on the street but maybe occasionally if I get quite "spirited" for any length of time. You would not know it's a high stall piece driving it normally. But get on it and hang on!

At the track, the trans temp leaves the line at about 170F after the burnout (I footbrake it to between 2000-2300 in the beams), and it goes out the back door (1/4 mile) at about 190F (best of 11.14@118.25). Sometimes I'll flip the fan on for the return road if I know I might get hot-lapped and it's back to 160F by the time I get to the pits.
I will say @Oldmanmopar and his videos of his Duster influenced me when I was choosing a converter. And he was right - glad I went for the high stall speed!

Buick ,in the sixties, had an electrically switchable stall speed converter for the 400 turbo. A friend put one in his 383 Vega. Nice and tight on the freeway, stalled almost 4000 at the flip of a switch. Wired it up to tighten up again in high gear. A great idea that disappeared for some unknown reason.
Keene-Bell switch pitch converter. Adapted from a Buick Dyna-Flow transmission. I like them, but it’s basically the father of the lockup converter. But, if someone would make new “switch pitch” converters for a lockup 904 or 727 (same mode of operation, only uses a variable pitch stator instead of a clutch) I’d be all for it.

....except a GER.
If the car even moved after you installed one of those pieces of scrap metal, you were one of the lucky ones! I don’t even want to imagine what their whole “race” transmissions were like…

Last edited:
I run a 9" PTC 5600 nitous converter on the street behind my 528" Hemi with 2 kits. . It does not slip a ton under normal street driving. Totally streetable. Flashes as needed when under power. I have 3 cars with PTC converters and like all of them.

20221001_151456.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

IMG_54301.jpg

My last four converters have flashed at least 5000, the current one flashes 5600 and has no issues on the street. Buy from a reputable builder and you'll have no issues.

If the definition of streetable is 'honest', then there is no 5000 stall c'ter that is streetable. A lot of slippage & heat generated below the stall speed. Quoted stall speeds are generic. The greater the tq produced by the engine, the higher the stall speed.

If the definition of streetable is 'honest', then there is no 5000 stall c'ter that is streetable. A lot of slippage & heat generated below the stall speed. Quoted stall speeds are generic. The greater the tq produced by the engine, the higher the stall speed.
I drive mine back and forth to work, the stores, cruise nights and car shows. It is totally streetable for me, and yes I run a large trans cooler.

20221001_130946.jpg

20211020_193756.jpg

20211020_180754.jpg

20210915_171016.jpg

This just isn't true. You really need to read up on modern converter technology.

The "Switch-Pitch"!!! I couldn't recall if that was Olds or Buick....

This just isn't true. You really need to read up on modern converter technology.
^^ This ^^ Years ago I bought a B&M "3500" rpm stall converter and put it behind a mild 440 in a 71 RR, it was pitiful. My current converter that flashes 5600 has way better street manners.

I bet when the guy that had the idea for the wheel told his buddies, they all scolded him and told him it wouldn't work. Then proceeded to stick their heads back in the sand! LOL

^^ This ^^ Years ago I bought a B&M "3500" rpm stall converter and put it behind a mild 440 in a 71 RR, it was pitiful. My current converter that flashes 5600 has way better street manners.

I bet when the guy that had the idea for the wheel told his buddies, they all scolded him and told him it wouldn't work. Then proceeded to stick their heads back in the sand! LOL

It's not the 80's anymore.

Seen plenty of cars with 4K+ converters that were tighter on cruise than a 2500-2800 unit.

I’m sure there have been many 5000+ flash stall speed converters that have completed drag week.

-
Back