is this true about a 350 sbc vs a sbm

-
The old saying goes " It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt ."

Then you can apply some " Tact "......Tact is the art of telling some-one where to go in such a manner, that, they actually anticipate the trip. :)

His 350 probably was Balanced & Blue printed, 3/4 race cam, 6 inch round air cleaner to show off his painted vacuum secondary holley and a auto zone chrome kit.

I had one of those big mouths and his buddies invite me to the local sheets quik-mart to set up a street race. He had a 87 350 tune port Camaro with 10 inch rear tires that only had 3 inches under the car and glass packs.

I rolled in with the Duster rattling their windows. His wagging tail went stiff and right between his legs and his buddies looked like a singing choir with their gaping mouths . There wasn't enough ink in a pen to write down the excuses.

When he drove off he smoked the right rear tire until he shifted second. I heard one of them say." Now that is power". Most guys like this don't have a clue and if they would ever get in a fast car they would scream like a little girl and **** themselves.

Attachments

• spoiler pics 193.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 351
dollar for dollar the 350 will make more power and rev higher than a small mopar.
which motor lasts, only the builder knows. lol
I would say thats highly debatable and mostly not so..being you have to build the chebbie 3 times to the Mopar's 1....but lots of variables I guess,I would still go with the Mopar without a doubt if comparing apples to apples,sure chevy parts are cheaper but you get what you pay for, they are greater in numbers...you have to change everything but the block in a chebby to accomplish it...so if you take a reg 350 and a reg dodge 340 or 360,same cam profiles,valve size,intake,carb etc...the stock 350 rods wouldnt survive the same as the 360..seen it to many times....maybe the modern day stuff is better tech than previous I dont know...I have personally beefed up many a 318's that would smoke most any 350's on the street with less money or tech, but wth I'm just rambling...yes I am loyal to MOPAR only for a reason and I thought this site was for-a-bodies-only which = MOPAR not brand x...so to me it's like an insult or a slap in the face to make such a statement and find no humor whatsoever in it seems like total dissrespect to me,maybe I'm overreacting but IDGAS....If I wanted to talk brand x or exhault them I would be on a brand x site singing their praises...try going on a ford or chevy site and make such a statement and see what kinda reaction you get...just sayin

I find life easier to pretend I'm not a gear head. When I buy parts at the local stores I get stuff for a 78 ram with a 360 and smile and wave at the bullshit that follows. I've seen to many 500 horsepower cars that hit 14's and 15's at the track that I don't care to associate with other local yolkals. Smile and wave while pretending to be stupid.

Dont you know that 90% off all chebbies sold in the last 20message years are still on the road?

Yup...the other 10% actually reached thier destination.

His 350 probably was Balanced & Blue printed, 3/4 race cam, 6 inch round air cleaner to show off his painted vacuum secondary holley and a auto zone chrome kit.
don't forget the Holy Grail of the chevy engine- it may be a 'corvette engine'.

Like that's supposed to be a bonus lol.

I used to rebuild engines before going back to school. Could have had my pick of anything I wanted. I kept 273's, 340's and 383's. I used to give away high nickel, 4 bolt main, forged crank 350's all the time. Would only last 70K in a 70's truck. I rebuilt a 370 HP 350 crate motor, came from Chevrolet missing one top main bearing, for a friends Camaro. He even had angle plug heads, good thing I cc'd them, they had been repaired and the chambers were so far off I was amazed. It had the factory solid cam, forged pistons and all. My 273 would clean his clock. After 3 years it was shot. A SBC can run as fast as a SBM and hold up. All you have to do is get aftermarket heads, a Callies crank, aftermarket rods, and shaft mounted rocker arms. As for cheaper, no way. We get all that for free. I also have seen big block, 4 speed Chevys run 18 seconds in the quarter. Not worth engaging Chevy goofs.

ORIGINALITY IS FOR PEOPLE WITH TOO MUCH MONEY , AND NO IMAGINATION ------------------ Yet Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. " Albert Einstein "

But than again, this is an no end to an all Mopar site where imagination comes to us in the form of we are the best, we know no wrong, we are the fastest, our parts cost more and that's the end of this discussion period...

Real racers know you can make anything fast. It comes down to how fast do you want to go, and how much are you willing to spend to get there.

your a funny guy rbdart. I bleed MOPAR ! Built many and own many! lmao

your a funny guy rbdart. I bleed MOPAR ! Built many and own many! lmao
Yes I know that you are a Mopar lover but that comment caused my tach to twist off...lol...had to go sniff some bblk pistons to get my sugar back in control and alittle atf+4 in my tea tuned my blood pressure,good thing I'm balanced to 7400 rpm...lmao...guess it was too early in the morn,no harm done..have a merry CHRISTMAS..

Listening to many of you guys getting all worked up about what this clown(the chevy idiot) said & a lot of you guys almost sound like him except for the brand of choice!
Don't argue with a fool because someone may not know th difference! I've built them all over the years, (most over 400 HP & a few 500+ & a Couple BBMs over 600HP)& the ALL have limitations, benefits & drawback to their deisgns. The 1 thing I can assure you- the engine doesn't know what brand it is. With all the aftermarket heads available today you can make anything run well if it's in capable hands. Same thing with reliablity. What makes 1 guys motor run for years without problems with a cast crank @ 7000+ RPM & defies all logic, but another guy had problems well below that? It comes down to attention to details & proper assembly & parts selection. Doesn't matter what brand it is.
Anybody who brags about his horsepower, unsolicited, early in a coversation is usaully talking out his ***! The OP handled it just fine!

I worked with a guy like that anytime anyone started talking cars with me. He was always telling me I didn't know what I was talking about....he lived through the muscle car era and I didn't. He had a Chevelle with a 327 and a 4 speed, I got so tired of hearing about how a 340 or 383 was no match for his Chevelle.

All the guys in my neighborhood, city, and county laughed and talked about me when I told them I was building a 318. After getting all the gremlins/bugs worked out, I had the last laugh.

One guy with an 80's model C-10 and a "hot" 350 claimed he was a beast because he could chirp the tires when he shift to 2nd gear. He retired his truck after we ran. You could easily sit three tractor-trailer rigs between us. We ran three times because he couldn't believe it. Lmao!

If it's a race car, of course his engine will last longer.
Not nearly as many runs on his motor since he's constantly eliminated in the first round! ;-)

Went to school with a big Chevy guy. He had a Z28 (maybe 78 or 9) with a 350 4bbl auto. and 342 gears, all factory with low miles. His dad built drag car motors and raced. He had the Camaro "tuned" to the max. My 72 demon with a 318 and 2.76 gears beat him, and our little school "motor heads" were in shock. We went from a 10 mph roll and yes I let him punch it first. Yes, he admitted it. The only mod done to the 318 was a 600 holley in place of the 2bbl. I used a cast intake to mount it. More cubes, More gear, still not enough. See? Yes, any motor can be built to perform, but what about how they were manufactured? Hmmmm.

Ask him how much better shaft mounted rockers will cost his stud pulling chevy heads. Oof, Pontiac had cast rods...cast! HP is pretty much proportional to head flow. Brand x and m will put out very close numbers with equal heads and cubes. Chevy just has 10 more years of development and about 8 times the market.

Sometimes these kinds of arguments can really backfire

Before I joined the Navy, in my home town, a guy had a 57 Ford "Y block" 292. He thought it was "somethin."

Friend of mine had a 48 Ford pu with a 283 punched to..........292 that actually ran for what it was.

Ford guy kept badgering the Chev guy. Chev guy finally got busy, tuned up the '48, and saved up some (hard to get) green for a bet. Now that 48 could've wiped that 57's *** any day of the week.

Don wound up the '48 and promptly left the rear U joint flopping around dead on the pavement.

Oh for f**k's sake...every mouth breathing moron has a motor that makes 500HP, and runs 9's or 10's. It's the magic liars number. They think that if they throw those numbers out, then they can play with the big boys.

My response is usually "time slips don't lie..."

-
Back