Let the budget 456 build begin!

-

73 408 Duster

Reaction score
Well, let the budget 456 build begin! :burnout:

The back story of how I got here, a few months ago I picked up a 440 block that was covered in surface rust after being stored for years in damp conditions in anticipation of building a 512 stroker with a 440 Source rotating assembly. I had the block cleaned and magnafluxed only to find out it would not clean at .060" overbore and that it would need sleeved due to rust pits in the bores, so I decided to scrap the block and the idea.

Fast forward another couple months and a ton of research later I decided to go with a 400 b-block this time around for a 451 stroker build due to it's better fitment into an a-body and the potential weight savings offered. As luck would have it I found a 72 HP 400 block bored .040" overbore out of a 72 Plymouth Sports Fury at the local salvage yard and was able to pick up the short block for a hundred bucks. I spent a few hours rolling around in the dirt at the yard, removing the motor with limited tools, and brought the motor home to tear it down. I took the block to the machine shop and had it cleaned, magnafluxed, line / deck checked and bored to .060" overbore for another two hundred and fifty bucks. Yielding a 456 cubic inch monster, if the machinist's math is correct. So far I have got three hundred and fifty dollars into the prepped block.

I have since purchased Keith Black 251 pistons and moly-rings for $350.00 and a seasoned forged 440 crank for another $200.00. I plan on getting the crank turned down to 400 journal size and the counterweights turned down to 7.250" outside diameter for clearance. I will be using the stock 400 rods, with ARP bolts for the rods and mains. Other than that I am still up in the air on my final parts selections, but will update this thread as I save and get more parts for this build. As always, responses are welcome and appreciated.

As a side note this motor is going into a mostly street, some 1/8 mile 73 Duster with a 727 transmission.

Attachments

• E1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 685
  • E2.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 637
  • E3.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 641
Well, let the budget 456 build begin!

Fast forward another couple months and a ton of research later I decided to go with a 400 b-block this time around for a 451 stroker build due to it's better fitment into an a-body and the potential weight savings offered.

Cool thinking out of the box like that. Is the 400 really that much lighter?

Most B engine bare blocks weigh in the 210-215 range, RB's will usually weigh about 230. That is just a bare block with caps. The other reason is of course more room for headers and other stuff in the engine bay.

Well, it has been awhile since updating this post, not a whole lot has changed in this engine build as I have been having a hell of a time trying to find someone local, semi-local to So-Cal to turn my forged 440 crank weights to 7.250" and the journals down to 400 size. I have found one guy locally that said he could do it, but his quote was approaching a grand for cutting and balancing.:violent1:

Does anyone know of a reputable Crank Grinder / Engine Machinist in or near San Diego, CA that can perform my crank work for this build?

Thank you,
73 408 Duster

It's been a while. IMM,Valley Head Service,Speed o motive.

Why were you afraid of sleeving the 440? I'da took that block!

Thanks for the responses. I looked into the 440 Source option and may very well use their heads in the future, however opted to stay with what I have for the bottom end. I did find a Engine Machinist in San Diego to cut down the piston domes and turn / balance the crank for a reasonable cost, Wholesale Automotive Machine in Mission Valley, CA. As for the 440 block I gave it away for scrap, the Machinist told me that the cost of sleeves would exceed the value of the block.

Saving up money and buying parts slowly, will post updated pictures when I make some more progress.

Thanks,
73 408 Duster

-
Back