Mini tubs, advice, do's & don'ts?

-
I cut the whole tub out. I'll be using the factory inner and making a sheet metal outer so if I ever want to run a tall tire I'll still be able to keep the car as low as possible. View attachment 1715225270
looking back over these pics, if its a full rqace car, I`d use aftermarket inners, or make them square to fit ur square holes. I would try to keep it as close to stock looking on mine tho, like the other posters pics (rounded stock shape cut outs.) .

Don't split the spot-welded seam, use a wheel to cut the embosed "line" formed into the metal inboard of the seam. Extend the "line" down to the floor front and back. Them use wheel straight up alongside frame-rail. Spend some time just looking and planning.
Very good info-
MOVING WHEELWELLS 101

Last edited:
Got the driver side cut out. I cant remember who said to make the pattern for cutting the floor but thank you! It looks real pro. I forgot to take a pic inside the trunk but I'll get one in the morning.

20180921_161510_zps4rjb1zbu.jpg

The tire only has about a half inch fore and aft, its gonna have to be dead nuts when I locate the axle.
It sucks I'm working two jobs right now so not a lot of time to work on the race car but on the other hand I will be able to afford the last few parts I need to finish the rear axle!

Thanks again for all the help. There's no way it would be coming out this clean with out your help.

Man, I can't wait to drive her!

The template is the nuts when doing these and makes things so much cleaner.

Nice ride height... :)

I agree. You are the man for pointing that out to me. Its gonna be so frickin clean.
The only thing is now I'm gonna do way more work.
Gonna weld the trunk pan to the rails, sooo much under coat has to come off. My fuel cell didn't have to come out but I was not happy about the way I cut the trunk pan, so ended up removing the cell cage, cutting the trunk pan. Also had to remove the seat delete, so may as well make that better and well....

Its gonna look factory in the trunk....not that any one is ever gonna see in my trunk..

Thank you.

I wish I could give you a thank you and an agree on the same post.

Thanks man!

My pops all he wants to do lately is paint. When the seat delete came out he said give me the center panel. Him being my dad, I did as told and this is the result so far.

imagejpeg_0_zpsyhl23218.jpg

He thinks he's got another four or five hours left before it's done but it's looking good to me.

My pops all he wants to do lately is paint. When the seat delete came out he said give me the center panel. Him being my dad, I did as told and this is the result so far.

View attachment 1715226696

He thinks he's got another four or five hours left before it's done but it's looking good to me.
The old man's a bad ***... that's cool!

Ok.... I give. Do you have a stamp/ press form? I don't know how you maintained your profile. I can bag and hammer, roll, form, shrink, stretch, wheel, ect. I can make each portion of that, but to do it all on one is quite impressive. Did you have a blank, or pound that out? The reliefs (especially around the top) lead me to believe that you've got a stamp/press.

Ok.... I give. Do you have a stamp/ press form? I don't know how you maintained your profile. I can bag and hammer, roll, form, shrink, stretch, wheel, ect. I can make each portion of that, but to do it all on one is quite impressive. Did you have a blank, or pound that out? The reliefs (especially around the top) lead me to believe that you've got a stamp/press.
I SEEN EM FIRST!!!

I SEEN EM FIRST!!!
Most people don't understand what it takes to turn a flat piece of metal into that. It doesn't matter what tools you've got... you gotta know how to use them. Yeah, I could be a dick and pick out little things here or there, but I certainly couldn't do better. That piece is pretty impressive (at least for my tools and skill level).

We do bead rolling. Its drawn on a flat sheet, then run through the roller.

We do bead rolling. Its drawn on a flat sheet, then run through the roller.
I got the bead rolling, ect, but how was the face formed? Was that knocked out on a bag or pressed? A piece like that is from the center out. Perhaps I'm missing something being on a cell phone.

I've never had to do a piece like that, and don't understand the process. Without a form and press I would sketch it out and pound out the face on a bag, then roll, detail, cut, then drill.

Regardless, I don't think most people realize what goes into a piece like that.

The only tooling used was the bead roller, drill press (for the engine turning) and a DA sander.

It's all in the working of the aluminum, that gives it the 3D look.

Here you can see it better.
20170607_201139_zpsrcmfotut.jpg

The only tooling used was the bead roller, drill press (for the engine turning) and a DA sander.

It's all in the working of the aluminum, that gives it the 3D look.[/QUOT

Ok, that makes sense. I really don't know how a lot of machines work. I learned everything with manual tools. All my stuff is non-electric. Takes a lot longer, so I gotta be really careful with detailed pieces. Probably limits me too on intricate stuff too.

Ok, that pic finally loaded. That was a crazy optical illusion. That face was jumping out till the last pic. Now I got it thanks.

I can now file it under impressive instead of baffling. Those are some tight radiuses and require a good knowledge of your machine. You definitely had to deal with shrinkage and growth.

Last edited:
Ok, that pic finally loaded. That was a crazy optical illusion. That face was jumping out till the last pic. Now I got it thanks.

I can now file it under impressive instead of baffling. Those are some tight radiuses and require a good knowledge of your machine. You definitely had to deal with shrinkage and growth.
Post # 37

Welding the trunk pan to the frame rail.
20180922_121754_zpsixofwdhe.jpg

Fully welded.

20180922_125251_zpsnxtngdpi.jpg

Test fitting the cut out to the frame. I spent a while making sure it fit just right.

20180922_132821_zpsvxqpsre9.jpg

Cut out fully welded.

20180922_143739_zpsuc3karqd.jpg

Welding in the filler patch. This is NO fun. The 18 gauge burns easy, hot slag fell and burned through my pants, landing on my leg first. That was eh, ya know part of the job but when one landed on my boys..... DAM, I got out the welding blanket and placed over my legs...

20180922_172920_zpsqro4mfas.jpg

Here's a pic of my buddy, he was removing the undercoat.

Dam, hes a trooper!

imagejpeg_0_zpszx37oisk.jpg

Welding the trunk pan to the frame rail.
View attachment 1715226944

Fully welded.

View attachment 1715226945

Test fitting the cut out to the frame. I spent a while making sure it fit just right.

View attachment 1715226946

Cut out fully welded.

View attachment 1715226947

Welding in the filler patch. This is NO fun. The 18 gauge burns easy, hot slag fell and burned through my pants, landing on my leg first. That was eh, ya know part of the job but when one landed on my boys..... DAM, I got out the welding blanket and placed over my legs...

View attachment 1715226948

Looks really good, nice job !

All good. Happy to provide any tips to make the job easier.

The floor pan and trunk pan welding to frame is a pain. I hate that part.

Undercoat is nasty stuff. I'd hire my worst enemy to remove that crap!

Mine is an E Body but we mini tubbed mine inward to the frame rails. I can now fit 315/60/15 Drag Radials or a 29.5 X 10.5W slicks with ease.

100_1674 [640x480].jpg

IMG9505671.jpg

-
Back