Missed on this combo?

-
On this type of motor...its not gonna matter.
And hey guys...you're jot gonna overload that side of the bowl with only a .020 cut.
Now bolt it on so we can see a minute increase in power already and toss more ideas at you when you aren't happy ,jk..
in the end, how much will 30 more hp have cost you though...?

The OP is more concerned with the shape of the curve, as he should be. His engine was down at 3-4000 RPM.

I was going to write a long drone out response but even my short one may be too long:D
You have got the concept of the SS and how your new head has a MUCH better SS.
Think of the valve as yet another SS (because it is ) remember when you figured out that you Eddy ss kinda shot straight out across the valve.........if you cut enough off the head, that high side of the intake valve with shoot straight across the head bounce off the bore and come back.....aka turbulence.
When this happens, it stops or pulses the air at that point cause a pressure bounce all the way around that valve.
When i was porting my 360 heads i kept getting to a point, that no matter WHAT i did the port just got crazier and crazier. fill it in with mud and start over. Must have done it 10 time before i final stop and took a look at my combustion chamber Never wanted to touch it because once i ground on it.......i cant get it back.
Found some flaws in the port, that was created by me cutting a 2.02 valve in were a 1.88 had resided before.
The port that would back up at 500 lift(flow ### when down) now flows to 600 and may flow more but that's where my retainer hit the guide.

That combustion chamber was machined like it is for a reason (Maybe several!!)
There's a reason why they kept the combustion chamber at 71. It could be simply because some may want that large CC chamber......or maybe they needed that much space for the pressure recovery to work properly (PR slowing the air speed in a efficient way).
It may not make a Hill of Bean differance, but it could. It's your choice.....just a little bit more info to help you decide.:poke::D

Well I took them to my machinist/dyno guy/jedi engine master. He cc'd them more precise and they are a full 72cc.

Also, something I didn't notice, the exhaust port is raised .200 compared to the Eddy. And shaped MUCH better. My TTI'S are pretty tight. I hope things dont change down there...He was actually REALLY impressed. I mentioned maybe getting one flowed and he said don't bother. Told me there's a reason he sold both his flow benches. Pretty experienced guy. He thinks they may be the casting that Promaxx is using.

Really gave me some ****....."All this good stuff and all your time in this motor, it's about time it gets some REAL heads." "Money well spent." Geez, I had to sell one of my AR 15'S AND load a thousand rounds for the guy. He thought I was kidding...

Back to the milling, now you guys have me thinking again. Man I don't want to screw up my combustion chamber. I also cannot tear it apart again. After this upcoming dyno session, it absolutely has to go in the car.

Mill, don't mill.....mill, don't mill......
Really we are talking 1/2 point in compression. Using Summits calculator it's
11.45:1 vs. 10.96:1. Doesn't sound like much.

Last edited:
I must repost this statement by IQ52
If you leave them at 71.5cc and 10.83:1 compression, and your engine makes 600HP @ 11.25:1 compression, you will be all the way down to 598HP @ 10.83:1. Mill them SOBs to 64.5cc so you can get 602HP.

I must repost this statement by IQ52
If you leave them at 71.5cc and 10.83:1 compression, and your engine makes 600HP @ 11.25:1 compression, you will be all the way down to 598HP @ 10.83:1. Mill them SOBs to 64.5cc so you can get 602HP.
Not worth the effort!

Already left them a message. DON'T MILL THEM. what the hell was I thinking. Hope they didn't get to them. I keep hearing Tim at Bullet over and over in my head...."you'll need 11 to 1, you'll need 11 to 1...."

Alright already. I give up. I keep wondering what the heck I'm gonna do with the motor in the car now. I took it out today for a blast and I think it knows I'm cheating on it.

I know you had your heart set on cutting them but i think you have made the right decision!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Alright already. I give up. I keep wondering what the heck I'm gonna do with the motor in the car now. I took it out today for a blast and I think it knows I'm cheating on it.
:rofl:Too funny!
Come on now baby, that's not mine....NO really!!!!:lol:

You watch. I left there at 4 o'clock. They close at 5, there was a whole friggin race team there, having their motors dyno'd.....guys everywhere...
Ya know, busy as hell, but my luck he'll say ah crap, we jumped right on it and they're done. We took off 95 thousands.

You watch. I left there at 4 o'clock. They close at 5, there was a whole friggin race team there, having their motors dyno'd.....guys everywhere...
Ya know, busy as hell, but my luck he'll say ah crap, we jumped right on it and they're done. We took off 95 thousands.
95 thou! I would cry for you!!!!!

ok now to get back on track. You said that the exh ports are raised? as in raised bolt pattern????

Side by side, yup. Looks like it's a hair higher. A .200 hair. Dyno guy says the floor looks waaay better, and the overall shape is "whole different animal". Like I said, he really liked the. He hasn't liked ANYTHING Mopar the 9 years I've known him. I dunno, maybe he's sick.....

I get the feeling Hughes really screwed up. Not bashing them or anything.

They made a cookie cutter port, that's way better than a stock Eddy, and they will sell a lot of them!!!!
You, however, have stepped up to the NEXT LEVEL!
.200" as in almost 1/4 of a inch...........I sure hope you don't need to have header custom built for it!
Is the bolts spacing the same or do they look like a w2/w5 exh port bolt pattern or is there a dual pattern on them?

Oh wait. Years ago I read an article in Mopar muscle car Magazine about how they installed a set of Hughes CNC smallblock heads and oh my God. They talk about how Hughes was the only place who really know about the importance of mid lift flow and how they picked up like a million hp and even more torque.........blah, blah.

Did this really happen, and where did Hughes get the heads? I mean come on, magazines don't lie right?

My blood starts boiling and I'm generally not an angry guy.

What if some poor guy scrimps and saves and actually buys the whole package deal, which I'm guessing would be roughly $3500 bucks. No dyno I bet. That's how they get away with it.

I'm going off on a tangent. Sorry.

They made a cookie cutter port, that's way better than a stock Eddy, and they will sell a lot of them!!!!
You, however, have stepped up to the NEXT LEVEL!
.200" as in almost 1/4 of a inch...........I sure hope you don't need to have header custom built for it!
Is the bolts spacing the same or do they look like a w2/w5 exh port bolt pattern or is there a dual pattern on them?
No no. LA pattern. Just a touch higher. I think I'll be fine. Get some side by side pics when I get them back.

That's ok,
I use to love reading hot rod mags
now i buy on for when i go camping or something, never read it.
As you get older you recognize hype a lot better.

You need to go out and measure your old girl's header clearance, but don't tell her why.....she's already suspicious! :p:D

3300 miles on that old girl....one season, basically. Put lots of Mustangs and a few Challengers in their place.

:steering:Man i sure miss that icon of laying rubber and grabbing gears....would have fit just right here.
when you get this done, sound like you need a project car to put that eng in................

No money left for a new carb, never mind project car. I have a detailed build book for this engine along with every receipt. I honestly am afraid to add it all up. I don't think I ever will. It's amazing.

Wonder when it's all done, and dynos well, what someone would pay. Just wondering.
I know a buddy spent 9 grand on a custom build, and it's nothing to brag about. Came with the usual "happy" dyno sheet. 13 flat, me driving.

Don't add it up!
When it's in your car, and it keeps pulling your face off every time you hit the skinny peddle........THEN.... add it up!

Never ever ever added up my receipts. We would probably just make me cry

Side by side, yup. Looks like it's a hair higher. A .200 hair. Dyno guy says the floor looks waaay better, and the overall shape is "whole different animal". Like I said, he really liked the. He hasn't liked ANYTHING Mopar the 9 years I've known him. I dunno, maybe he's sick.....

Hughes really doesn't know how to design a port for power. Not bashing them or anything.

^^^^^^Fixed it for you. J.Rob

Already left them a message. DON'T MILL THEM. what the hell was I thinking. Hope they didn't get to them. I keep hearing Tim at Bullet over and over in my head...."you'll need 11 to 1, you'll need 11 to 1...."
Be at peace. Even if they did mill them it is highly unlikely they are ruined. My point was, it isn't necessary, horsepower wise, at the compression difference.

-
Back