Mopar 360 build on Horsepower TV

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is it me or is it everytime a ChryCo build is done its a "budget" or "junkyard" deal? Never any high end GM and Ford builds but we all know there are no aftermarket parts for Mopars. And where in the hell can I find a 360 with Eddy heads, intake, and Comp solid roller in it already for $500?!?!? I must be shopping in the wrong place...

Ok, bitching rant over....

This was done once before, last time it aired.

Just watched it.I think their budget was $1500 including the cost of the motor.End up with a 440hp smallblock. When would that ever happen to you or me? Never! I guess that's TV.:angry7:

Last time that episode was on, somebody priced out all the parts on their $500 engine. There was about $5000 or so worth of parts based on Summit's website. Maybe I need a cheesy tv show so I can get some 10 cent on the dollar deals...

Exactly! That engine as a on line find for under $500...Come on now!

Hey! I got an idea. Maybe we can call Summit and see if they Price Match like K-Mart does and we can all get one! Probably not...

It was unreal that the cylinder walls still the horning pattern!! Makes one wonder how and where they found a "used " engine with that many goodies. But we all know that TV is not real.

I really have not seen one of those "powerblock" shows that wasnt a joke at some point in the episode.They had an episode on movie cars and the charger in bullitt had a "440 magnum hemi" and at another point one of the guys refering to the mustang and the chase scene said "yeah,you can just imagine seeing a 69 charger in you mirror"-wtf do these guys smoke?,oh and the mustang had twin over head cams in the 390 lol,what a freakin joke.

JMO, but horsepower tv show sucks. I think it was Trucks that showed how to do porting and polishing on heads. At least that is not manufacter specific.

Horsepower TV needs to stay with Chevy's and Mustangs. It is all them seem to really know. The older guy is OK but is a bit of a dork. The younger guy is arogant and doesn't seem to really enjoy realy old V8 horsepower. They put a few extra HP into a Mazdaspeed 3 and he is all giddy. The only show I find entertaining is Extreme 4X4. He seems much more honest and seems to be having fun. I like the fabicating even if it is with equipment I can only wish I had. He does however seem to get a bunch of expensive parts cheap and mixes them with his own work. I liked that Stacey David for the same reason. They build something even if it is a bit cheesy and not a car but they then beat on it and enjoy it. The guys on trucks are OK for the same reason in my opinion. When Lou left Muscle Car it also went down hill. All I have really seen them enjoy was a cheesed out 73 Buick.

About the only show I watch anymore is Gearz with Stacy David....he seems to be realistic about prices and the experience needed....shame they only seem to make 8 or 10 episodes a year...its on speed network...Horsepower lost me when they got rid of the other origional host...but never found it realistic about the pricing they used....I remember an episode where they "had some Parts" on the shelf like we would have at home..to save money..right I have a new carb, heads...etc just setting around...dont care for any of the younger hosts as like someone said they only get excited when its a rice grinder...rant ended for now

I love Stacey David, I watch his Youtube channel. I concur that Horsepower TV stinks on ice BUT Muscle Car is pretty good, and I get chingo's of info on all kind of stuff from Rick & Tommy. Both of those dude's seem to be pretty cool and they are well rounded in their skill set. The Trucks crew is pretty damn skilled too...

i watched that horsepower episode yesterday, i told my dad and my uncle about it. dad says good luck, my uncle said its possible except if a kid brought that in the yard would strip the goodies off of it and sell them seperate at 3/4 of the cost it would be new. and i sure as hell wouldnt haul it in with those left on it and they reused everything, so the motor was still good, wat was it doing in a junk yard? and i think hey did a chevy big block and ford big block, no budget both made 600 horse ok fine, but when the mopar came up they could find a big block 440 or even a 400? they did a 360 a magnum i think, and it made almost 500 on the dyno. im like wtf you give the chevy an ford guys wat they want, wat are you guys mopar haters, or just cheap asses? i miss watcing stacey david he did some awesome things like im a car guy and even tho it had a chevy id love to build a hot rod like the rat roaster, or when he was doing trucks he made the copper head, that burned the tires over 100 ft? extreme 4x4 is cool but they just do rock buggies that ive seen which is the thing going right now, but not in my neck of the woods lol. but the fabrication aspect of it goes in anything lke cages and tube chassis, tube doors, etc. but sadly i gues well have to just accept that guys on tv cant play with mopars cause theyre wimps.

About the only show I watch anymore is Gearz with Stacy David....he seems to be realistic about prices and the experience needed....shame they only seem to make 8 or 10 episodes a year...its on speed network...Horsepower lost me when they got rid of the other origional host...but never found it realistic about the pricing they used....I remember an episode where they "had some Parts" on the shelf like we would have at home..to save money..right I have a new carb, heads...etc just setting around...dont care for any of the younger hosts as like someone said they only get excited when its a rice grinder...rant ended for now

Yeah you're talking about Chuck Hanson he started Horsepower TV before they changed the name of the show it was called Hot Rod TV ,they were forced into changing the name because of Hot Rod Magazine.

Chuck Hanson is also the founder of ACES based in Greensboro NC at one time. But Chuck Hanson left the show after his son was killed in a auto accident a few years ago. Hate to say it Horsepower TV has always been biased toward Chevy (Chevelles) and Fords (Mustangs) from the start. It was only when the producers were getting complaints from Mopars and AMC Fans that they started throwing tidbits here and there.

but when the mopar came up they could find a big block 440 or even a 400? they did a 360 a magnum i think, and it made almost 500 on the dyno. im like wtf you give the chevy an ford guys wat they want, wat are you guys mopar haters, or just cheap asses?

naw, just Mopar haters. Heck, they even said during the episode that they had to look up the origin of MoPar(!), I knew that when I was in High School...

but when the mopar came up they could find a big block 440 or even a 400? they did a 360 a magnum i think, and it made almost 500 on the dyno. im like wtf you give the chevy an ford guys wat they want, wat are you guys mopar haters, or just cheap asses?

naw, just Mopar haters. Heck, they even said during the episode that they had to look up the origin of MoPar(!), I knew that when I was in High School...

Yeah it's unfortunate but their target audience is mainly chevy and fords.

horse sh*t TV is what it should be called.

Gearz with Stacey , now thats building, 'not bolting'

to many 'bolt on' shows.

But seriously....I don't watch TV much if at all anymore, my kids have ruined it for me....now the last thing I want to see...is a television.

So, if they REALLY bought that engine "as shown" for $475, then they really put the screws to somebody, didn't they? How ruthless are they? They couldn't spring for a fair price from their TV show budget?
So either they're liars about the price, or theives to buy that engine for that price... Which would be worse?

So, if they REALLY bought that engine "as shown" for $475, then they really put the screws to somebody, didn't they? How ruthless are they? They couldn't spring for a fair price from their TV show budget?
So either they're liars about the price, or theives to buy that engine for that price... Which would be worse?

Probably found some poor soul just divorced and strung out on drugs and alcohol and took total advantage of his situation. That kinda **** always comes back to you though.

So, if they REALLY bought that engine "as shown" for $475, then they really put the screws to somebody, didn't they?
Maybe not. SScamp does make a good point. Also, crack is an awesome helper in getting GREAT deals. But who is to really say? Maybe they did get it for that price. Not that I beileve them, but, what IF a Chevy guy had it and didn't care? What IF's can go on and on and on....this could turn into a good joke sesion....

They couldn't spring for a fair price from their TV show budget?
LOL, for MoPar? Or anything else besides a Chevy/Ford 5.0? Ba ha ha ha ha ha............

Aw y'all are just a bunch of haters... You know you want to see them put in a Nissan B947S engine in that Dart. :-\"

I think the last time I watched any of that, there was a blonde chick on the 4*4 show. She was pretty awesome.

I cancelled my satellite about a year ago. haven't missed it. Just heard over the weekend that they cancelled pinks?! WTF?

-
Back