Mopar 360 small block

-

R0K3_B3aRd

Man with a Master plan.
Reaction score
I have a 65 barracuda with 273. I got the opportunity to buy a small block 360 with 727 torq tranny and i was wondering if it would bolt on? is it a good engine?

You have to have the proper oil pan, I'm not sure what part number, someone else can fill that in... Or else the steering linkage may hit/interfere with the oil pan. The 273 oil pan will not work on a 360.

You may have to have the driveshaft shortened. If you haven't upgraded the axle, you may want to do that now so you only have to shorten and balance the driveshaft once. If you run a 7 1/4" axle (stock for most a bodies of that year) the 360 will break it..

The driver's side motor mount is different on the 360 from the 273, but the pass side mount will bolt right on...

If you want to use the original v-8 radiator from that barracuda, then I would strip the timing chain cover, and water pump from the 273 and put them on the 360. Keep the original 360 vibration damper for the 360 on it, but remark TDC for the marks on the 273. Then you can run the original style alternator, water pump, and radiator and shroud set-up. Use the fan from the 273.

Oh yeah, 360 is a good engine....

360 stock = low compression. low compression = low power output. Just so you know

360 stock = low compression. low compression = low power output. Just so you know

273 = 3.31" Stroke

360 = 3.53" Stroke

More stroke = more torque.

Even with low compression, 360 can make more power than the 273.

I had a stock low compression one in a heavy 74 charger with just a 4 bbl, and it ran great.

It will throw that light a-body down the road just fine.

Then put a few parts on the 360 to wake it up and it will run like a raped ape....

273 = 3.31" Stroke

360 = 3.53" Stroke

More stroke = more torque.

Even with low compression, 360 can make more power than the 273.

I had a stock low compression one in a heavy 74 charger with just a 4 bbl, and it ran great.

It will throw that light a-body down the road just fine.

Then put a few parts on the 360 to wake it up and it will run like a raped ape....
Put the correct heads on that 360, closed chamber like the 273 has, still wont rev like the 273. That 273 charger engine is way under respected. IMO. But yes build the 360 for power and no comparision. And I think 360 is 8.5 comp and 4bbl 273 is 10.5. Big difference in power.

-
Back