Mopar vs Chevy 383 showdown

-
How do you guys think that 383 Mopar (actually 394ci due to the 0.060" overbore) would fare against an equally prepped stock bore 396 BB Chevy?

5 hp Honda vs 5 hp briggs equally prepped. what's equal ?

The 396 would romp w/it's head flow,unless the valve size & porting were allowed
on the 383 to match,then not so much. Better yet, lets see how they do w/o any lifter
bore correction or other specialty machining. I've seen no less than 5 of the 396/402
units that eat lifters & cams faster than you can save the money for their replacements.
No, don't give me any ZDDP bullshit, they are notorious for the lifter bores not aligned
w/ their lumpy-*** partners. So much so that the lifter bore correcting jig by BHJ was
machine shop fixture #1 if you plan on running a BBC. If allowed 2.18/1.81 valves, I
wouldn't throw the 383 under the bus, that's a fact.
Rollers or no, the lifters won't last if they're not squared up,My 383 will still be
running 10 yrs. later w/o the unhealthy appetite.

I vote next build-off should go as follows

318 +.040 (325ci) Mopar VS 327ci chebby

9.5:1 comp
air gap intake
similar spec hyd flat tappet cam
1-5/8" headers
for cylinder heads I reckon double humps vs 915 J's. both with a nice valve job.

Hit up the dyno and run the numbers.

THEN port those heads to the max and run them again!

As for the 396, I raced a 70 396 chevelle leaving a car show in my dads 383 coronet, the 383 was cam, intake, and headers. I don't know about the 396 but whatever it was it got beat lol

LMFAO..396 handed many of them they're arses with a 340..lol

One of my brothers is a big Chevy guy. He has had a few 396's in Chevelles and one that was built in a Camaro, and every one of them have been dogs. By my seat of the pants I would guess 15's in the 1/4. That's just been my experience with what he had.

Too many variables on the 396. HP anywhere from 265-375. Most SS Chevelle's were 325 versions if IRC. 375's were pretty hard to beat. Built the same, going with the Chevy motor, much as I hate to.

Lol, I have watched 396 chevelles run 16's, but I've also watched 440
satellites run 17's. Too many variables indeed, mainly the people involved.

-
Back