My 1967 Cuda Restoration

-
This thread makes me want to quit my job and go bust some knuckles. I'm digging the powder coat on the dash. Cudachick might have to do my dash if I ever figure out what color im painting the car. Keep the pics coming, I'm hooked on this build!! :D

Chuck

This thread makes me want to quit my job and go bust some knuckles. I'm digging the powder coat on the dash. Cudachick might have to do my dash if I ever figure out what color im painting the car. Keep the pics coming, I'm hooked on this build!! :D

Chuck

Thanks Chuck!

Should have some more pics in a week or 2

Started working on the steering column. Getting rid of the column shift stuff.

Cut off the shift handle boss and the shift indicator.
I filled the hole with RTV so it would stay put under the filler.

DSCF1716_Medium_.jpg

DSCF1717_Medium_.jpg

Got the filler on and cut the groove.

DSCF1719_Medium_.jpg

DSCF1721_Medium_.jpg

Will let it set for a couple of days and then start sanding it down.

Got the steering column finished. Just need to install the black steering
wheel and chrome horn ring.

PRN123 side:

DSCF1775_Medium_.jpg

Old shifter arm side:

DSCF1776_Medium_.jpg

Been laying some brake line and doing some undercoating:

DSCF1771_Medium_.jpg

DSCF1777_Medium_.jpg

DSCF1772_Medium_.jpg

DSCF1769_Medium_.jpg

My nephew David and I have been working on his truck. Needed an
engine and tranny. He is a member of the Forum (needahotrod)

dave03_Medium_.jpg

dave01_Medium_.jpg

dave02_Medium_.jpg

The garage is Dirty

Wow,column looks good Tony.You never disassembled it? That's a satin black on there? I guess that would be a little tricky to do while it was in the car,eh.
That garage ain't dirty! It's homey.:-D

Tony for your garage that's dirty, any other garage is clean as long as you can still see the floor - LOL.

Wish I had the space you have.

Did the column on the bench. I'm very happy with it. Probably had
maybe $10.00 bucks in it with a lot of labor.

Painted it with semi gloss.

Not going to do any cleaning until the truck is gone. Gotta put a power
steering hose on the future son-in-law's Ford Windstar next and then
the cleaning shall begin.

Been working real hard the last 3 days.

Gas tank is in:

DSCF1829_Medium_.jpg

DSCF1831_Medium_.jpg

DSCF1833_Medium_.jpg

E-brake cable is in:

DSCF1830_Medium_.jpg

DSCF1828_Medium_.jpg

Master cylinder is in:

DSCF1837_Medium_.jpg

Tail lights are in:

DSCF1840_Medium_.jpg

DSCF1839_Medium_.jpg

Tail lights are out!
sad-012.gif

DSCF1843_Medium_.jpg

DSCF1841_Medium_.jpg

After I put the tail lights in I went around front to install the Master cylinder.
While I was up front I heard a loud pop......after a couple of minutes I heard another one. After doing some checking, I found that the tail light housings
had separated.

I bought these from Laysons during the Mopar Nats in 2006. They have been
laying on my shelf waiting for the restoration. I paid $595.00 for these pieces of you know what. Looks like the had them pieced together with some small
brads and some glue. Not my idea of a quality part costing $595.00

Monday I will take them to the body shop to see if they can weld them back together.

A real crappy day as it turns out.

Column looks great tony! Nice job! $hitty about the tail light!! WTF?? Its a wonder the outside pieces didnt fall on the ground and smash!! I havent heard too many good things about Laysons. Try PG or BEA, I think around $400/pair Iheard you could haggle with them too.

Column looks great tony! Nice job! $hitty about the tail light!! WTF?? Its a wonder the outside pieces didnt fall on the ground and smash!! I havent heard too many good things about Laysons. Try PG or BEA, I think around $400/pair Iheard you could haggle with them too.

Thanks rag........not gonna buy any more...I'll make these work somehow.

Maybe......I'm gonna go for welding first......don't want them popping again!

Can you weld die cast? I can see how the inner housing "popped" out given the inner housing is bolted to the body brackets and effectively wants to pull itself away from the outer housing. So gluing the inner to the outer housing was never going to be an effective method of manufacture. Rivetting the inner and outer housings together or the judicious placement of a few small screws/bolts may well be the only effective fix. I'm sure you'll beat it, whichever fix you choose.

Can you weld die cast? I can see how the inner housing "popped" out given the inner housing is bolted to the body brackets and effectively wants to pull itself away from the outer housing. So gluing the inner to the outer housing was never going to be an effective method of manufacture. Rivetting the inner and outer housings together or the judicious placement of a few small screws/bolts may well be the only effective fix. I'm sure you'll beat it, whichever fix you choose.

Gotta be careful of screws or rivets as the lens is on the other side and may
sit too high and extend beyond the outer housing. Longone had also suggested
rivets. May give that a try...nothing to lose.

Maybe......I'm gonna go for welding first......don't want them popping again!

Tony, have you contacted Rick@Laysons in regards to the tail lights? It may have been some time since you ordered those lights but it`s possible Rick could help you out. It couldn`t hurt to try.

-
Back