My 6.1 hemi build!

-
I get to start this thing up tomorrow.. fingers crossed I buttoned up the bottom end correctly..lol.... I'll be sure and get some video.. every excited to say the least.

As many know I'm doing a hemi swap in my 68 Dart. On 12 Mar I decided to pull the trigger on some goodies for the build so I called up Dave Webber at Moder Muscle Performance Group ordered a set of his ported 6.1 heads with 625 springs, retainers, and guides, custom cam, forged drop in pistons with new rings, cometic head gasket, new rod bolts, etc. I also made a phone call to my friend AJ Hemituner and bought a complete 6.1 engine. He wanted to send it to me assembled but I wanted it un-assembled so I could put the goodies on it from MMP. After seeing a smoking deal on a used KB I scooped it right up and now had all the parts in place within 10 days from nothing to everything. That's a very remarkable turn around time on this.

Next I called up my buddy Jeff (Popeye's Hemi) and asked for his assistance to assemble this mountain of parts. Jeff arrived Friday night grabbed so beers went to the shop and the labor began. We both were unsure as to what to gap the new rings at so i called very intelligent individuals in the know and they gave what they would gap them for my build. So after a lot of reading and talking on the phone we decided on the top and second gaps along with the bottom rings. We purchased a hand wheel to gap the rings to our specs. If you've never gaped a ring it takes a long time to measure each cylinder gap the ring put in back in the cyl, measure again, grind a little, put it back, you get the point... very time consuming. After 3-4 hours we were complete and are very satisfied with our work.

Time of assembly... We were smart enough to mark each rod and cap by a number and the direction it was facing before disassemble. This made a assembly easy and had two check points (our marks and the pistons had larger valve reliefs with obviously go on the top of each cyl). We used a crappy ring compressor that we fought a few pistons with but other than that they all went in with out a hitch. Something we did was to rotate the crank with the crank journals down so when we installed the piston a rod it couldn't reach it a smack it possible causing damage to it or the rod. We used this same level of attention to detail throughout this entire build. Every Bolt was spec and torqued, all new gaskets, assembly lube, etc.

I wanted to thank Scott 1fst4dr as I asked a lot of question and we shipped parts back and forth within a few days.. He's top notch in my book. Also Dave Webber and AJ for putting up with the numerous phone calls and obviously the bad *** parts to make this all happen. Jeff for the time you took to help me out ..very cool ( love the sound of the 300 BTW) SICK!

Next week I will put it in place mate it to the tranny, plug it in, and start on the custom headers. I'm hoping to get it to AJ for tuning a week prior to 27 Apr. Still a lot of work to be done but it should start moving fast now. Here are some pics of this weekend. These pic are not in order.. I think I got Jeff in one acting like he's doing something but still managing to pose! Go figure!

10252c00.jpg

ec20ea1a.jpg

49cfdaf5.jpg

665bd300.jpg

37d6bb59.jpg

86cda033.jpg

d3496de4.jpg

2de79449.jpg

28025215.jpg

ed54e202.jpg

e9e3bdc6.jpg

48869126.jpg

deb9c3a9.jpg

d1517ce8.jpg

2bf326fd.jpg

b29c1194.jpg

abd3ee03.jpg

faaefeea.jpg

f32fc53a.jpg

1584f542.jpg

8a95fea4.jpg

d385deb7.jpg
Do you know how many teeth are on the crank trigger wheel? I'm going to help a buddy put a 5.7 into an 80s Dodge pickup which now has a V-6. It will be controlled by Megasquirt and it can use the stock crank trigger on that motor for what I understand. Thank you, Bill

Lol u keep saying that... I agree it was fast but there still needs to be a Ron of work completed. Over past month of this build I took a total of 3 wks off work to do nothing but work on this project.

Do you know how many teeth are on the crank trigger wheel? I'm going to help a buddy put a 5.7 into an 80s Dodge pickup which now has a V-6. It will be controlled by Megasquirt and it can use the stock crank trigger on that motor for what I understand. Thank you, Bill

It uses a NGC trigger wheel. It should be one of the options you can select in the Megasquirt setup.
-Jon

It uses a NGC trigger wheel. It should be one of the options you can select in the Megasquirt setup.
-Jon

My version of Tuner Studio doesn't show an NGC trigger. It does however show Neon 420A which is SOMETIMES used by MS2. In MS III you want to use the following trigger settings:

The correct wheel setting is 36-2+2 for all pre 2009 Hemis, I believe that 2010 and later had a different crank toner ring.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I was to busy running around looking for fuel and oil leaks... Tomorrow for sure .

Tomorrow or fri I need to get a front alignment then some serious road time! I'm more that super excited!

Post a video of that bad boy runnin'!!

Do you giggle when youre sleeping. I would. I remember when I started mine.I giggled like a schoolgirl.

Man what a dream come true... This is the reason I got into a bodies 6 yrs ago... To put a new hemi in one! Totally blessed to say the least... Now the fun starts with tracking down bugs.

Charger--Great Job,I'm still waiting for mine to be done!!! Where can I find the torque specs for this motor ?????? Did you find them on-line--Steve

MY buddy brought them with him.. Google it on LXforums I know they are over there.

I think he's out playing with Hemijoe jr,I think the two of them are up to some racing going on!!!!!!!!

Here is the 1st few videos of my 3r gem hemi in my 68 Dart with a kenne bell supercharger... the tune needs to be adjusted but you get the idea.. enjoy.... Next tues I get to get the alignment done then some fun seat time...
[ame=http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/jbellyus/?action=view&current=082e5e7e.mp4]
th_082e5e7e.jpg
[/ame]

[ame=http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/jbellyus/?action=view&current=0525b42f.mp4]
th_0525b42f.jpg
[/ame]

[ame=http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/jbellyus/?action=view&current=cbfd0f0b.mp4]
th_cbfd0f0b.jpg
[/ame]

-
Back