My doomed 408 build

-
need much more info: what kind of oil pressure are you running? Are you POSITIVE ALL the oil gallery plugs are installed? What kind of oil are you using? Is this LA or Magnum? Have you searched archives for threads on proper rocker geometry? Also, there can be problems with insufficient retainer to guide (and seal) clearance in addition to coil-bind. All the aforementioned problems (and probably some more i failed to mention) are fairly common in builds by "non-Mopar fluent" engine builders.
Oil psi was @70 cold 60 hot. Yes all oil gally plugs were installed. I was running the break in oil used by the engine builder not sure of the brand but know it was proper break oil. Its a LA block. Yes. I have serched fourms for multiple issues this being one of them. With retro rollers the geometry is very off. The engine was tested for clearance. I was there that day and no cool bond was evident. Both cams were still below lift specs of eddy heads. Just bad luck? Don't know....

One thing that comes to mind is that a Blueprint 408 crate engine with their warranty is looking pretty sweet about now. Yes it is, hindsight is always 20/20
Your builder sounds like a real dick to me. Sounds like he's at a loss here
He should make it right, lord knows how much you spent there on this build. Agreed
If it's a parts defective problem, he could back charge the supplier in yours and his behalf. Mfg's will tell the builder to go pound sand as in " We've never heard of that issue before!?--must be you--click...dial tone. The only recourse for the builder is to boycott either that product or the offending company's entire line.
To me, the only reason that he wouldn't stand by his product/build is if he screwed up.
That's the thing that truly sucks about some people.
Good luck, i hope it turns out well for you in the long run............
J.Rob

Option B-
Solid flat tappet cam, edm lifters, suitable springs, pushrods. <<< This is the solution
This will require breaking in the cam with inner springs removed, and a high quality break in oil.

The springs that come with the rpm heads aren’t suitable for anything but the mildest of solid flat tappet cams. Ditch the springs for anything more than an old hyd flat grind like a MP .484"

There is an ever growing list of threads, videos, etc, of people who have had less than stellar results with retrofit hyd cam conversions....... enough so they really aren’t something I can confidently recommend any longer........ unless you’re willing to get the lifter bores bushed. Agreed again, haven't built a hyd roller combo in awhile unless it was an LS or G3. Problem isn't really just the lifter bores it is just shitty aftermarket hydraulic rollers being built--maybe counterfeit?

If you’re going to use/using a block that originally came with hyd roller lifters....... you have a better chance of success imo.Agreed see above LS/G3 ref. [/QUOTE]

As usual Dwayne, spot on. I find myself going back to the venerable solid flat tappet in cases where budget and reliability are a priority. J.Rob

race season is 2 months away.

Was this built to be a bracket race type motor?
I don’t know what the first cam that failed was, but the as supplied springs aren’t suitable for anything hyd roller, other than maybe a stock replacement type cam.

I doubt this had anything to do with the collapsed lifter........ but it would be interesting to know how the conversation went with regards to how the engine would be used....... and then the thought process behind retaining the as supplied springs when the decision was made to swap to the HR cam.

I can’t imagine those little springs would have survived very long trying to maintain control of the now heavier valvetrain with repeated high rpm use.

What was the original cam anyway?

Is the current problem lifter “soft”, or “stuck”?

Was this built to be a bracket race type motor? (It was built to be a hot/street and strip engine.)
I don’t know what the first cam that failed was, but the as supplied springs aren’t suitable for anything hyd roller, other than maybe a stock replacement type cam.

I doubt this had anything to do with the collapsed lifter........ but it would be interesting to know how the conversation went with regards to how the engine would be used.......(The builder knew I was doing a hot street / strip motor for my 73 Roadrunner) and then the thought process behind retaining the as supplied springs when the decision was made to swap to the HR cam. The builder said he would test the springs to make sure they were within the spring pressure guidelines for the hy roller, a few days later he called me and said they were within specs, so I didn't need to change them.

I can’t imagine those little springs would have survived very long trying to maintain control of the now heavier valvetrain with repeated high rpm use.

What was the original cam anyway? The Original can was a Comp cams #20-225-4 .507/510 240/246@.050

Is the current problem lifter “soft”, or “stuck”? soft

Soft lifter?

I suspect debris in the lifter is the culprit.
If you could get it out without pulling the heads, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.
But alas, I don’t think you can.

Also, with many hyd roller lifters you can’t get the internals out of the body without grinding the link bar retaining rivet off....... so they’d need to be replaced.

Regardless of what else I did, I’d pull it apart to see if that’s why it was soft.

If there’s debris in it...... that’s not a defective part type of problem.

FWIW, the spring listed for use with the new hyd roller cam has a noticeably higher rate than the Ede springs(as you’d expect with the heavier lifters).
344lbs/in for the Ede, 402lbs/in for the Comp.

Last edited:
Soft lifter?

I suspect debris in the lifter is the culprit.
If you could get it out without pulling the heads, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.
But alas, I don’t think you can.

Also, with many hyd roller lifters you can’t get the internals out of the body without grinding the link bar retaining rivet off....... so they’d need to be replaced.

Regardless of what else I did, I’d pull it apart to see if that’s why it was soft.

If there’s debris in it...... that’s not a defective part type of problem.

FWIW, the spring listed for use with the new hyd roller cam has a noticeably higher rate than the Ede springs(as you’d expect with the heavier lifters).
344lbs/in for the Ede, 402lbs/in for the Comp.

There was a whole lot of management problems with the shop, and the operator was leasing the shop from the actual owner. Hard to explain but the operator of the shop went default to the actual owner. The actual owner got my cam swap mid job, (and didn't get the cash I paid for the job from the operator) and I think he just wanted me put together to get me and my engine out of his shop. When I came in to pick up the engine, he told me no warranty, as he has already lost money on my job.

I remember this story.

Sounds like you have 3 options:
- pay original shop to do it

- pay another shop to do it

- learn how to start doing this kind of work yourself.

I remember this story.

Sounds like you have 3 options:
- pay original shop to do it

- pay another shop to do it

- learn how to start doing this kind of work yourself.
My budget is blown. I'll be learning how to do this my self. I don't have the extra funds to go have another shop go to town on it. I'm sure I can do the cam swap myself. Talking to a few paces, and reading a bunch of materials, I know what I need to do. I'm buying an engine stand, and will be pulling it apart in the next few weeks. I have gotten with Tim at Hughes engines and have a parts list on order. I just have to follow the instructions, and do it right the first time.
I feel I will get this past my learning curve. Once I'm done I'll let you guys know how it all went.

Last edited:
My budget is blown. I'll be learning how to do this my self. I don't have the extra funds to g have another shop go to town. I'm sure I can do this my self. Talking to a few paces I know what I need to do. I'm buying an engine stand, and will be pulling it apart in the next few weeks. I have gotten with Tim at Hughes engines and have a parts list on order. I just have to follow the instructions, and do it right the first time.
I feel I will get this past my learning curve. Once I'm done I'll let you guys know how it all went.

To bad you don’t live closer. I wouldn’t mind over seeing your project

Ditto, if you were just a little closer it would be easy to help.

Once I'm done I'll let you guys know how it all went.

Just my opinion, but I'd keep this thread going and ask questions as you go. There's a lot of smart people on here that will be glad to help out.

When I built my 408 I drove an hour to use a machine shop that specialized in Mopars. We talked several times before I even dropped a part off to them. As I talked to the owner about what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it, he asked how I knew so much about small block strokers. I told him that I'm an early riser and read threads on FABO every morning. He was impressed with my knowledge that I got from this site. I'd suggest you do the same.

Well I've already given my best advice and I really hope things turn out well. I'll say it one more time just to clear my conscience. Dealing with people all the way across the country who will never see your engine and be able to put there eyeballs on it and give you some hands on help is not the best Direction in my opinion. I can already see the writing on the wall- "well it's a few thousand miles away so it's hard for me to tell". I sent a friend to PIR to have his Trans Am motor rebuilt and after we broke it in and developed a tick. it was very nice to be able to throw it on my car trailer and drag it over and have Ted look at it and tell us the easy non invasive way to fix it quickly. He surely couldn't tell us what it was over the phone...

Oh yeah and a side note that was a 403 Oldsmobile 6. 6 and the year before when we were having it built he had to Bush one of the lifter holes as when they put the in there it dropped in with major Slack! And also that wasn't the problem when we brought it in. Turned out that after we retighten everything down after break in a custom rocker was hitting the cheap valve covers that my customer put on. We doubled the gasket and Presto. it kind of sounded like a knock and we were not going to go any further till in was diagnosed. Doubling up the valve cover gaskets LOL off we went. I know it sounds simple but something like that? Ted has been doing these motors for over 50 years it was obvious. ONCE HE COULD SEE IT AND HEAR IT WITH HIS OWN EYES AND EARS.

This was my first thought as well...the springs that come with the Eddy heads are made for flat tappet lifters. They are not made to handle a much heavier roller lifter. Even mild roller cams like what the OP described would need more spring. I would not go back to that builder again....

Obviously, the cheapest and easiest repair is to pull the one head and just replace the one pair of lifters.

Obviously, the cheapest and easiest repair is to pull the one head and just replace the one pair of lifters.
Is that not literally the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting diffrent results?
If I have had 2 lifter failures in the same hole, I feel something is wrong with the lifter hole not the lifter it's self.
I also know I need to change the springs to any new cam I'm going to run. So both heads have to come off Anyway so might as well put the right ones in. I feel the cost cutting has cost me more money over the long run then doing it correctly the first time.

“What I would do”, is pull the one head, pull out the soft lifter, and take it apart and look for foreign material inside.

If it’s got debris in it, then it being soft has nothing to do with the block or the lifter bore, or a defective lifter.

If it’s clean inside....... well, you were going to take the heads off anyway.

This was my first thought as well...the springs that come with the Eddy heads are made for flat tappet lifters. They are not made to handle a much heavier roller lifter. Even mild roller cams like what the OP described would need more spring. I would not go back to that builder again....
There are 2 version of springs that you can buy from Edelbrock on their heads setup OOTB: one set for flat tappet and a different set for rollers. They have different assembly PN's for the 2 different spring sets on a given casting. So it depends on what Edelbrock PN was purchased; that hopefully could be found on the original build list. If they originally were for the flat tappets and the rollers were put in with those springs, then, it might well be some valve float or valvetrain resonances going on now.

Back on page 1 it was said that the shop cleaned and re-assembled the engine for the 2nd go-around. But you just don't know if they did a good job of it. I'd assume at this point that they did not. #8 exhaust lifter is the first lifter that the oil reaches after leaving the pump and filter. This MIGHT make it a bit more likely to catch debris as it comes into the oil gallery; or maybe when the engine is off, any debris in that gallery settles into the back end near the #8 exhaust lifter.

I'd be pulling the oil filter first and cutting it open for examination for debris. BTW, don't use the so-called race filters... they have a much more 'open' media that passes lots bigger particles.

There are 2 version of springs that you can buy from Edelbrock on their heads setup OOTB: one set for flat tappet and a different set for rollers. They have different assembly PN's for the 2 different spring sets on a given casting. So it depends on what Edelbrock PN was purchased; that hopefully could be found on the original build list. If they originally were for the flat tappets and the rollers were put in with those springs, then, it might well be some valve float or valvetrain resonances going on now.

Back on page 1 it was said that the shop cleaned and re-assembled the engine for the 2nd go-around. But you just don't know if they did a good job of it. I'd assume at this point that they did not. #8 exhaust lifter is the first lifter that the oil reaches after leaving the pump and filter. This MIGHT make it a bit more likely to catch debris as it comes into the oil gallery; or maybe when the engine is off, any debris in that gallery settles into the back end near the #8 exhaust lifter.

I'd be pulling the oil filter first and cutting it open for examination for debris. BTW, don't use the so-called race filters... they have a much more 'open' media that passes lots bigger particles.
I am aware that the eddy springs are different. I do not have the OEM part number other than whats on the heads. They do not have the last digit of the part number to tell if they were set up as a roller or tappet cam. That is the biggest problem so far. I am going to go the way of Hugues engines recommendations and go with a Mechanical flat tappet cam Hughes Engines , EDM light weight lifters Hughes Engines , a set of springs Hughes Engines , Cometic head gaskets, and any thing else I can find should be about another grand total.... Ill have 7 roller lifters and a roller cam for sale shortly...

I have cut open the oil filter and there were no signs of any metal in the element.

Last edited:
The part number for the heads is different, between the flat tappet or hyd roller springs.

I’m pretty sure the hyd roller spring is either a dual or a dual with damper.

-
Back