Nitrous plumbing A1A...??..

-
Hook it up to a bottle of co2, just flip the co2 bottle upside down so that liquid comes out when you crack the valve. Similar pressure to a nitrous bottle.

Grant

Hook it up to a bottle of co2, just flip the co2 bottle upside down so that liquid comes out when you crack the valve. Similar pressure to a nitrous bottle.

Grant
Any examples of a CO2 bottle? I don't happen to have one of those either LOL but if it's something cheap I can buy sure.. I could go up to the head shop and get some whippets but I wouldn't know how to de charge them and do a nitrous plate just into a balloon! LOL.. and then waa was was... LOL...
Those were the days....

I thought you didn't like internet gurus lol, jk, seriously order them up and take them to a few local speed shops and get some opinions. There are a few performance shops that will give you an honest unbiased opinion and deal with nitrous. Best case is you discovered a great deal to be passed on to others and worst case you send them back. I'm guessing most guys have never even laid eyes on them as they just buy a kit or used name brand plates so really you won't know until you have them in you're hands.
Who said I don't like internet gurus? It's the ones that pretend to be a guru and are not! LOL...:poke:...:popcorn:...

Any examples of a CO2 bottle? I don't happen to have one of those either LOL but if it's something cheap I can buy sure.. I could go up to the head shop and get some whippets but I wouldn't know how to de charge them and do a nitrous plate just into a balloon! LOL.. and then waa was was... LOL...
Those were the days....

Small bottle from a MIG welder will do, even if it's mixed gas it will work.

Grant

Well I done did it.. I ordered a couple of those Speedmaster nitrous plate kits...
Had to order an intake gasket to make it over $100 to get free shipping..

Don’t ever worry about Summits posted shipping date. They usually beat that by a mile as they drop ship. I think they do that to keep guys from calling every day.
When I ordered them today I talked to what seems like a little bit more experienced technical support guy (the first one I talk to is nice enough and I tried to get back to him) but he said those were the dates that they were expecting Speedmaster to ship them a shipment of them.. and that yes they would get ahold of Speedmaster first thing Monday morning and likely get shipped out within a day of then...
I've got a crap load of other stuff that I want the puzzle together but it all depends on whether these nitrous plates are worthy...

Actually the two little support lines and the bracket that holds the solenoid and the tank bracket is worth $45 LOL...

The research continues...
I can tell before this car sees any nitrous that I'll probably be half nitrous Guru myself..
So now I'm finding out more about the jetting and the different kinds of jets for the different nitrous paraphernalia manufacturers.. sizes, styles, and materials are made out of..
Very little information I've been able to find on setting up dual quad nitrous..
98% of the information is all on a single plate... Lots of the jetting for the fuel depends on fuel pressure. I do have that loud annoying high volume high pressure pump still mounted underneath the car that's not only plugged off but disconnected as well. I have the pressure regulator up on the Shelf. I was thinking of dismounting that fuel pump from under the car and using the regulator as well and maybe having something like a windshield washer tank that it's all connected too... my idea on the fuel supply right now would be having the small tank connected to the loud *** fuel pump (there's no doubt I would know when it was on) and run it to the fuel solenoid with a bypass line running through the regulator circulating back to the top of the small fuel cell under the engine compartment.. of course I would leave it all empty 98% of the time in only Port race fuel in it when my intentions are to use the nitrous.. that way I can regulate the pressure just before the fuel pressure adjustment gauge and the return line and not only know that I have flow but I have the correct pressure at the solenoid..?? plenty of room for correcting my thinking there but that's what's going through my head for the fuel supply...
One of the other main points is retarding the timing. For a 75 shot I think a safe 3° back just in normal use would be fine. Just back it off three degrees before any nitrous shots and see what that gets me... Today I am going to research the retard system for my msd6al.. I actually got to go get into the box and see how all that works.. mine is the newer version that has the rev limiter built into the box...
The research continues...

Also looking at the autolite X version spark plugs with no ground strap...???

Why? If you're knocking the ground strap off you know you have issues. Without it, you'll likely eat something else before you catch it.

Someday, maybe, Autolite will send the catalog I've requested 3 times.

Why? If you're knocking the ground strap off you know you have issues. Without it, you'll likely eat something else before you catch it.

Someday, maybe, Autolite will send the catalog I've requested 3 times.
Why? I have no idea! I'm just doing all the research I can now so I don't do something colossally stupid... I'm asking tons of questions but getting very very few answers.. again I'll likely be half Guru before I even get started...
Right now I'm reading about bottle temperatures, fuel pressure, timing, and jetting... There's quite a bit to take in and everything needs to be right...
I can see there's a constant testing to this equipment if it's going to be used correctly...

Why? I have no idea! I'm just doing all the research I can now so I don't do something colossally stupid... I'm asking tons of questions but getting very very few answers.. again I'll likely be half Guru before I even get started...
Right now I'm reading about bottle temperatures, fuel pressure, timing, and jetting... There's quite a bit to take in and everything needs to be right...
I can see there's a constant testing to this equipment if it's going to be used correctly...

Yep. Seen guys heat the bottles with a torch. I stayed far away from that.

For what you are doing, heating the bottles may be overkill.

You should have enough ignition, but you may have to close the gap down a bit. You'll also need a way to pull some timing out of it as add the nitrous.

And, you may want to use a progressive controller to run the nitrous.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but use a Hobbs switch in your Relay circuitry. If there is a bobble in your fuel system it will help prevent the big "Kaboom....."

JW

Yep. Seen guys heat the bottles with a torch. I stayed far away from that.

Anything over 150hp and no doubt timing needs to retard. But any motor on gas is borrowed time. You can't make that type of power increase and not expect more maintenance. Part of the deal...

JW

For what you are doing, heating the bottles may be overkill.

You should have enough ignition, but you may have to close the gap down a bit. You'll also need a way to pull some timing out of it as add the nitrous.

And, you may want to use a progressive controller to run the nitrous.

I want to start out small and keep it low maintenance. Likely 75% of the time I'll just be hitting the purge button for fun LOL.. but eventually I want it to be functional.. right now I have my sights set on a 75 shot... Keep it very entry level... I've taken 3 degrees of timing out and not felt that bad in a normal operation situation... I generally carry a bag with my timing light and a few other little tune up things at anyways.. I can see a tightly shield one gallon jug of race fuel strapped into the trunk in case I need to pour it into the little tank upfront for the nitrous... Pulling my half inch wrench out and dropping a little timing and giving it a shot...
rest assured they'll be no pulling out a torch or any kind of fire for my bottle LOL... More like a black blanket laying out in the sun and wrapping it on the bottle or some bags of ice whichever it needs...

I want to start out small and keep it low maintenance. Likely 75% of the time I'll just be hitting the purge button for fun LOL.. but eventually I want it to be functional.. right now I have my sights set on a 75 shot... Keep it very entry level... I've taken 3 degrees of timing out and not felt that bad in a normal operation situation... I generally carry a bag with my timing light and a few other little tune up things at anyways.. I can see a tightly shield one gallon jug of race fuel strapped into the trunk in case I need to pour it into the little tank upfront for the nitrous... Pulling my half inch wrench out and dropping a little timing and giving it a shot...
rest assured they'll be no pulling out a torch or any kind of fire for my bottle LOL... More like a black blanket laying out in the sun and wrapping it on the bottle or some bags of ice whichever it needs...

Well truth be told I went through bottle after bottle for almost 2 years on a big ring gap LA motor. No timing pulled out and not even a dedicated fuel system. This was a 200 hit. But I got lucky. For the occasional fun you will probably be fine. Just sift through what you can. As it's been mentioned Steve Johnson is the man. Tell him what you are going to do and he will tell you what to expect.

As for the torch, I have done it in the past and would do it again. Wide flame on the move. Lots of technology to not do that today however leave no doubt that even 25lbs. of pressure increase will change the power.... I hear it worked well with Street racing (lol.....)

JW

Two conventional plates on a tunnel ram isn't much different than a crossbar plate on a single carb engine, crossbar just has both sets of bars in the same plate. Here's a link to NOS's instructions for a crossbar, minimum shot listed on the charts is a 200 though...
https://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/700/741/741-02153_02154_12566_12666.pdf

Some sort of data recording wideband would really help you sort things out. Sifting thru all the info available can be a real headache, having data available to help you make jetting decisions will greatly reduce that headache. A few years ago I paid forward a FAST dual with the rpm module to a young drag racer/autocrosser, i'd send it to you if I still had it.

Grant

Personally for a small shot, I would avoid the hassle of artificially heating the bottle and just jet to typical ambient bottle temps. Having O2 data available would make it easy for you.

The system that's currently on my car has one of those dial-adjust fuel pressure regulators of the fuel side, along with a restricted return loop to the tank. FPR allows me to quickly/easily adjust nitrous fuel pressure in 1/2 lb increments to compensate for bottle temp. The return loop keeps the nitrous side of the fuel system constantly bled. I installed the return loop for just peace of mind. I used to worry about air getting trapped in the dead-head, possibly letting nitrous get to the bars way ahead of the fuel after I took out the bang button.

Grant

Not crazy compression your good for 150 shot.
Above that recommend return hose with big *** fuel pump

You know, I was reading through this thread and something occurred to me....Why is it that people hate on nitrous and not the other power adders? I hear all the time about “any idiot can go fast on the goofy gas” but never once have I heard someone get dumped on when they said “So, I’m gonna slap a 6-71 huffer on my stroker”. Never heard anyone teased for using a Procharger. It’s always “F’n A, man. That’s badass!”
So why the bad rap for NO2?
Just doesn’t make sense.

You know, I was reading through this thread and something occurred to me....Why is it that people hate on nitrous and not the other power adders? I hear all the time about “any idiot can go fast on the goofy gas” but never once have I heard someone get dumped on when they said “So, I’m gonna slap a 6-71 huffer on my stroker”. Never heard anyone teased for using a Procharger. It’s always “F’n A, man. That’s badass!”
Just doesn’t make sense.
I agree, I try to make the point all the time,boost is boost and whatever you pick you better be able to tune it.

Just doesn’t make sense.

I look at all the power adders the same way. Most and I said most are under proformers and don’t ran as well as a well prepped NA car. It’s the easy way out for most and I honestly can’t say wow, that’s a nice running 11 second car if it has a power adder in with a straight face. 10’s and 11’s are so easily built now with the parts available.

For me it's a big fat learning experience.. I got those new carburetors and I'm fixing to put those on but there's not going to be much of a learning curve there... I got the Speedmaster heads but really it's just a matter of unbolting the old ones and bolting the new ones on... I won't even have to mess with timing or breaking in a cam on either one which that's just old hat now... My son is into the rice burner cars and just put turbos on his and did all the tuning and all that and now he's had it on for a couple months and is bored...
If I get bored with my car I'll move on to something else...
that's why every year there's something new in my car or five different things going on that I'm all learning how to work on...
I have a whole lot to learn about this nitrous and I'm eager to enjoy the learning process... I'm not trying to set the world on fire with a 75 to 100 shot of nitrous? LOL.... It's going to be a nice learning experience I hope... Who knows kablooey and I have to build another motor...

Just doesn’t make sense.
I've looked at all the other power adders and once put on supposedly they don't cost more money, but they're always running like a blower or a turbo.. I just took my car out yesterday for the first time and what seems like about 3 months I believe and just on the motor LOL I didn't need any more power on the street by a long shot... That dual quad stroker has way more than enough power to get me in big big trouble... I think the nitrous is going to be fun just to see what happens kind of a "watch this" moment...

-
Back