Old Yeller vs Drag Truck "2021"

Who wins this ?

• Mopar Sam & Old Yeller

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • 318willrun & Drag Truck

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • I don't care who wins, I wouldn't want to miss it!

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Get outta here, never going to happen.......

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
-
Are we going to run them like we drive them, or can I swap in my 4.88s in jabs driveway?
We can finish building yours in his driveway, I usually help wrench on the competition! LOL... Funny story but true! Years ago I had a guy make the drive over in his '70 340 challenger. For 4 hours I tuned on his car and then raced him with my 340 Duster, I did get him closer to me but I still continued to beat him all the way till he left. My Duster was the "measuring stick" :D

Where are you guys going to race? 318, you are in Illinois right...and Sam is in Indiana right? If its close I would come watch.

Where are you guys going to race? 318, you are in Illinois right...and Sam is in Indiana right? If its close I would come watch.

Or..... bring your car and blow us both away! It will be in IL, they will have to give me directions.

I'm in the NW corner of ILL. Mopar Sam is in Indiana. Jabs is somewhere in between. We've both met Jabs (me on several occasions) but we've not met each other. LOL. All 3 of us like Pizza, though. :D

Or..... bring your car and blow us both away! It will be in IL, they will have to give me directions.
I've not been there either..... LOL. We've met in Rockford for HemiSSdarts swap meet a couple times, we've met at the dragway twice, and we've met at Rock Falls once. Food was involved all times :)

Well, he is way ahead right now. His runs, and I still have to build a motor....

I think traction will play a huge part.
The fact that you're going to "build" a motor instead of just puzzle together old parts has got you light years ahead already...

I'm in the NW corner of ILL. Mopar Sam is in Indiana. Jabs is somewhere in between. We've both met Jabs (me on several occasions) but we've not met each other. LOL. All 3 of us like Pizza, though. :D
Cool, that would be bit of a long drive for me, I'm just west of Indianapolis. Sounds fun.:)

It won’t happen..... but, if it does....it should happen at a track, so any local fabo members can come hang out and watch.

If I end up winning this thing, I want a 318willrun coffee mug and a few stickers. I will have to come up with something for 318 in case he wins.

If I end up winning this thing, I want a 318willrun coffee mug and a few stickers. I will have to come up with something for 318 in case he wins.
They are yours regardless (you must have visited my store..LOL) ..... Drag Truck is on the back burner, so whatever state it's in is how I'll race ya.... win, lose, or draw. Pizza is always good :)
:thumbsup:

They are yours regardless (you must have visited my store..LOL) ..... Drag Truck is on the back burner, so whatever state it's in is how I'll race ya.... win, lose, or draw. Pizza is always good :)

All for fun! I hope to keep Old yeller up on the front burner for a while. I just sold some parts, and once the buyers get them and are happy, I will be able to get a few of the parts I need.

All for fun! I hope to keep Old yeller up on the front burner for a while. I just sold some parts, and once the buyers get them and are happy, I will be able to get a few of the parts I need.
Now the truck in the "back 40's" has been on my mind again.... LOL

Jabs will do the singing of the National Anthem before we race....

:lol:

So what is the combo plan for old yeller @Mopar Sam ?

I have been collecting parts for this for years. Engine will be a 414" small block based on a 340 block. Eagle forged 4"crank, Icon flattops, Scat h beam rods. I got very good deals on these parts.

I have a set of well used ProComp heads that I will be working on as soon as I order valves. These heads will not be ideal thanks to a previous owner, but I will do the best I can with them. I plan on a mild solid roller cam, and hopefully, my offy tunnel ram. I also have an old weiand xcelerator I could use, but really want the t-ram...

I need to get a set of rings on the way, and then I can balance it. I bought these once, but they ended up in another motor(not mine).

I really do not need many parts to be able to build the motor, and will be ordering stuff, hopefully next week with the $$$ I made selling parts on here the last few days...

I have an 8" PTC converter that I will try ( built for a similar weight/ cubic inch combo) If it is way off, I can send it in for a restall and still not have much money in it.

Rear will be 8 3/4 that is in it now, and I will be swapping gears back and forth. I would like to find a set of 4.10s or 4.30s to set up for it. I think that would be a good all around gear since I can use tall tires.

The overall goal is to have a fun truck to drive. It will not set the world on fire. I just want something I can have fun with, something that brings a smile to my face every time I start it. I plan on making changes to it after it is on the road, because that is what I enjoy doing.

I have had so much fun the last couple of weeks just getting some weight off of it. And, now that I have some parts money, I cannot wait to get started back on the motor.

I have been collecting parts for this for years. Engine will be a 414" small block based on a 340 block. Eagle forged 4"crank, Icon flattops, Scat h beam rods. I got very good deals on these parts.

I have a set of well used ProComp heads that I will be working on as soon as I order valves. These heads will not be ideal thanks to a previous owner, but I will do the best I can with them. I plan on a mild solid roller cam, and hopefully, my offy tunnel ram. I also have an old weiand xcelerator I could use, but really want the t-ram...

I need to get a set of rings on the way, and then I can balance it. I bought these once, but they ended up in another motor(not mine).

I really do not need many parts to be able to build the motor, and will be ordering stuff, hopefully next week with the $$$ I made selling parts on here the last few days...

I have an 8" PTC converter that I will try ( built for a similar weight/ cubic inch combo) If it is way off, I can send it in for a restall and still not have much money in it.

Rear will be 8 3/4 that is in it now, and I will be swapping gears back and forth. I would like to find a set of 4.10s or 4.30s to set up for it. I think that would be a good all around gear since I can use tall tires.

The overall goal is to have a fun truck to drive. It will not set the world on fire. I just want something I can have fun with, something that brings a smile to my face every time I start it. I plan on making changes to it after it is on the road, because that is what I enjoy doing.

I have had so much fun the last couple of weeks just getting some weight off of it. And, now that I have some parts money, I cannot wait to get started back on the motor.
That sounds like a good plan. I like budget builds I find it interesting to see what people can do when they are limited like myself. I went way over budget on mine but I would still consider it budget since it's less that what most people spend lol I saved alot buying cheaper brand stuff I just hope it holds up. I have engine tech valves, pushrods, timing chain. I have a slightly used oil pump and water pump a member here have me for free. The intermediate shaft was reused. And I saved alot on just doing the labor myself which I know you will be doing too.

That sounds like a good plan. I like budget builds I find it interesting to see what people can do when they are limited like myself. I went way over budget on mine but I would still consider it budget since it's less that what most people spend lol I saved alot buying cheaper brand stuff I just hope it holds up. I have engine tech valves, pushrods, timing chain. I have a slightly used oil pump and water pump a member here have me for free. The intermediate shaft was reused. And I saved alot on just doing the labor myself which I know you will be doing too.

I agree, if I couldn't do the work on it, it wouldn't be any fun for me. I honestly really enjoyed driving it with the old 318 and reverse pattern valvebody. It just needed more power!

I came close this summer to throwing a set of heads on a fresh 318 short block that I built for a guy and got stuck with. But, if I had done that, I would never build the stroker.

If you get the truck to weigh around 3400 lbs, sounds like a 7.40 1/8 mile

That sounds like a good plan. I like budget builds I find it interesting to see what people can do when they are limited like myself. I went way over budget on mine .
You took yours to the machine shop. Mopar Sam is the machine shop. Big difference in cost

-
Back