Original title to a 69 swinger 340 can I keep it?

-

Ckeely

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a all original 69 dart swinger 340. It still is titled to the original owner . Which is the first title that was given when new. I have all other original documents IE( window sticker , build sheet, manuals and warranty card ). Amazing to me. Unfortunately a victim of the Vietnam war. The wife kept the car until 2 years ago when a friend bought it from her because the garage it was in started to calapse. The title was signed off by her in 1989 and stamped by notary public. She gave the title to her deceased husbands brother so the son wouldn't get it. ( drug addict).the brother never signed it, it is still open. The miles on the car are 50k original. There is no odometer statement on the title. How do I maintain original miles?can I some how keep the original title? Please help. I live in Indiana. Thanks for any info. This is a great car. I just purchased this car from my friend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 366
What about getting a color copy of the title before turning it into the DMV, both sides...

That's what I do, JIC they loose the one that I gave them, I still have traceability to go back and clear up any "confusion"...

I'm right next door to you in IL....

If you get a odometer statement they will put the actual miles on new title. As far as keeping original title your best bet is to get a color copy the dmv will keep original. I live in Indiana and don't care for our dmv and their crisp. They will push to have mileage past mechanical limits put on the title, don't let them and don't let them asses the value on their own. Make sure a realistic value on the title.

I need to see if there is a price spot on the title. I don't remember seeing one.

Take the original copy to a printing shop, have them make a 2-sided color copy and them laminate the copy.
The DMV will require the original copy to title the car.

That is what I was afraid of. I will definitely get a color copy. The odometer statement is also a priority. Thanks for all replies.

I need to see if there is a price spot on the title. I don't remember seeing one.

If it's left blank, then fill in that you bought it for $50 - $100 so they don't tax you so much..

They have no way of telling what condition it is in, and they get plenty of money and don't need any more than you need to give them to transfer the title and give you a plate...

If it's left blank, then fill in that you bought it for $50 - $100 so they don't tax you so much..

They have no way of telling what condition it is in, and they get plenty of money and don't need any more than you need to give them to transfer the title and give you a plate...

Good luck with that, in WV unless your name is on the notarized bill off sale, the DMV will go off the low NADA value and tax you 5%, I am pretty sure a 69 340 low value is several thousand.
Regardless of condition they want your money.

Good luck with that, in WV unless your name is on the notarized bill off sale, the DMV will go off the low NADA value and tax you 5%, I am pretty sure a 69 340 low value is several thousand.
Regardless of condition they want your money.

Yup, a lot of states are going that route. Better to put a more realistic number in, not necessarily full value, but no lowballed either.

Here's what you do. You in contact with the seller? Get the seller to apply for a LOST TITLE and when you receive that, use the new title to transfer the car. You just keep the old one. Bear in mind......it is no longer legally valid.

You should be able to keep the "Original Title" & just have it marked VOID. I was able to do this recently by using a title service instead of the DMV :D

If you find someone at Motor Vehicle that's competent, you may be able to have it handled there also. I wasn't taking any chances with AZ DMV though..... :sign3:

Having had the same issues in Pendelton Ind, Just do as stated, get copy of title, get required paperwork from dmv, get vehicle check from police, and just fill out and have signed what you need. Now I know the original owner cant sign, BUT there signature is not on file anywhere. Just do the best you can. FYI, I got form from DMV, Ensbled me to sign forms myself. Goodluck, I almost lost my 64 Sport Fury Convt. because of problems in Ind. I put value at 500.00 and it was not questioned, Just be honest. :burnout:MT

Is it just me, or is it illegal to look at NADA or KBB for used car price guides, which are then assigned by the state to a vehicle....which is what NADA and KBB take their values from (the sale prices of cars)...?

And generally speaking, they don't want there being multiple copies of a title for a car, that just leads to lots of confusion. Is the original title really that special since the car is no longer a one-owner?

I think a color copy is sufisient but to have the one issued when purchased new in this day and age is priceless. I will due my best to make this happen. I also will honor the Vet. That died for our freedom by restoring the car that he must have cared so much about that his wife kept it. Thanks again for all the responses.

You should be able to keep the "Original Title" & just have it marked VOID. I was able to do this recently by using a title service instead of the DMV :D

If you find someone at Motor Vehicle that's competent, you may be able to have it handled there also. I wasn't taking any chances with AZ DMV though..... :sign3:

Thats what Michigan does for me. Marks it void and gives it back. Call your local DMV and they can tell you if they do the same.

Sounds like you have a plan for the title.

Great find and thanks for honoring a fallen service member!!! That will be (is) a great car!!

Also, do not tell the DMV that the guy's name on the title is deceased.
Somebody who passed away will need the title re-issued to the power of attorney "AKA the wife".
So if the DMV catches it you may have a worthless title and have the car claimed for state property if the taxes were not kept up to date on the vehicle.

I can't really help you, I just wanted to say I'm glad you are doing your best to document and preserve the history of this car. That's a great way to honor a fallen soldier. If there is anything unique that was done to the car by the original owner, you should try to leave it the way it was. Good luck, and great find!

Yes you can get it back at least here in IL.Tell the DMV you want it back.They will send it back to you stamped cancelled across the front of it.I would also make a color copy of it (both sides)before you go to the DMV

I went to the DMV today. They said I could keep the original title. They would hold it for 60 days mark it void and I could come back to get it.

Still better make a color copy before you hand it over............they don't care about your title!!

And please post more pictures of the car.
Maybe a photo of the soldier if you can get one from his wife.

I have recently purchased a all original 69 dart swinger 340. It still is titled to the original owner . Which is the first title that was given when new. I have all other original documents IE( window sticker , build sheet, manuals and warranty card ). Amazing to me. Unfortunately a victim of the Vietnam war. The wife kept the car until 2 years ago when a friend bought it from her because the garage it was in started to calapse. The title was signed off by her in 1989 and stamped by notary public. She gave the title to her deceased husbands brother so the son wouldn't get it. ( drug addict).the brother never signed it, it is still open. The miles on the car are 50k original. There is no odometer statement on the title. How do I maintain original miles?can I some how keep the original title? Please help. I live in Indiana. Thanks for any info. This is a great car. I just purchased this car from my friend.

Being from Indiana as I you can request that they return the original title to you. I did this on 2 of my cars. They stamp it void and return it to you, or at least they did when I transferred my 1981 Imperial from mom to me.

I would probably get copy before going just in case

-
Back