Out of curiosity what are the cost differences

-
I had everything sfi legal and new, when I was running the Cortina. Not one tech inspector looked to see if what I said on the form was true and correct. They DID check the real easy to check stuff that nhra has an agreement with the safety manufacturers to boost their bottom line: they ALWAYS checked seat belts and helmet, even though they saw my car four or five times a month, and it was the ONLY Cortina they ever saw.
Will nhra ever fix their stupid greedy seat belt and helmet regulations? (Rhetorical question, answer is f@#k no!)

Don't forget the recertification of parts . The freight costs can be huge as well as removing and reinstalling the components. My bell is now 5 years certified but the clutch set up is still every 2 years. Seatbelts every 2 years too. Freight was 180 to ship my clutch/flywheel assembly. Bell is 90 each way. Seatbelts 70 bucks plus freight. And as pointed out SFI suit which typically is thicker and heavier can be miserable on a hot day. Chassis certification money too.
Just part of going 9.9
Yep.fun to say I went nines...... but I'll never do it again.... unless I turn on a nitrous setup, intending to get tossed.

I can’t believe what it used to cost to have a cage put in. My 82 charger was a pro street car when I bought it. It was a very slow B1 engine car. Very slow. I did some upgrades to it and had a friend tear out the cage and put a chrome moly cage in it. He did a beautiful job for 1100.00. I had it running 10.0’s with a stock crank 440 with 906 heads i
Ported.
I don't think you can get the raw material for a moly cage for $1100 today!

(And how come the B1 was so slow?)

The one my friend built in my garage ended up going low 8s

That's my Tina in the background, before the gray paintjob.

IMG_20221129_125304.jpg

IMG_20221129_125154.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think you can get the raw material for a moly cage for $1100 today!

(And how come the B1 was so slow?)

The one my friend built in my garage ended up going low 8s

View attachment 1716175464

View attachment 1716175465

This was his wife’s Pro Street that she just drove around town. I met Gene during this time so I don’t know any details of the engine. I bought it as a roller. I’m thinking they were stock heads which don’t flow very good at all. It even still had stock 100mm wheels up front.

37071478695_b21127ace9_o.jpeg

37071460925_56ea08b5a4_o.jpeg

I will say this. Having had a car forever that ran 9’s, I have zero interest in doing it again.
Way more cage than is required for 10 Flat and slower, licensing requirements, double layer jacket( at least, depending where you are) membership requirements( if I remember right)
Pass physical( I am legally blind in one eye) at least for NHRA.
And frankly, like most here, I do 99.9% bracket and index racing where consistency and cutting a light are the key, going faster only costs more money, won’t win me any more rounds.
So I am happy lower to mid 10’s, and not having to cut up my car to do so to save weight to help in going faster.
That all said, if you are younger and haven’t already done it, why not.

Yeah, this is just icky. I’m now going to gouge my eyes out and drink some draino. That may make me feel better.

PS…an alert would have been nice. Off to the cabinet for the draino lol…
At least he wasn’t wearing them when he took the pic.

I will say this. Having had a car forever that ran 9’s, I have zero interest in doing it again.
Way more cage than is required for 10 Flat and slower, licensing requirements, double layer jacket( at least, depending where you are) membership requirements( if I remember right)
Pass physical( I am legally blind in one eye) at least for NHRA.
And frankly, like most here, I do 99.9% bracket and index racing where consistency and cutting a light are the key, going faster only costs more money, won’t win me any more rounds.
So I am happy lower to mid 10’s, and not having to cut up my car to do so to save weight to help in going faster.
That all said, if you are younger and haven’t already done it, why not.
Wait, a physical... hopefully no blood draws, I can't do that I faint for some reason.
I used to be a ****** addict so it doesn't make sense but I'm terribly afraid of getting my blood stolen.

need to read the nhra rule book,, a physical usually required , also have to make slow passes to get your competition license, under eyes of other 9 sec drivers , so they can sign off on the license. also, chassis inspection is every 3 years, same with license. hans device is required, 3-5 jacket , pants full face helmet, gloves, shoes, just food for thought.

I am always bemused by guys trying to get a license for a car that won't run the number. Seen it multiple times at Irwindale.
As opposed to guys sneaking in a few passes with a car that clearly needs a license, and LOTS more safety equipment.
(The guy with the twin turbo 427 Ls, in an S10, that went 125 in the eighth..... with a lap belt..... and nothing else. Got bounced before he got back to the timing shack)

I’m licensed but no physical is required. I’ve been asked to see it once in the last five years.

unless they changed it, you can run down to 9 flat in IHRA without a physical.
In NHRA it’s required at 9.99 and faster. Of the tracks you seem to run at, Norwalk is the only NHRA track.
Bowling Green is too( I get down there once a year for Moparty) but that’s it, around these parts. I don’t race at Indy, all the rest are IHRA/ WDRA.

Alright, thanks guys.
I have a plan now, I know the track boss.
I'll talk to him & let him know what I'm thinking.
I am planning to get the cage certified to 8.50, if I end up replacing my floors I'll add in the few extra bars that would be good for 7.50.
But I think running low 10s consistently sounds just fine for me. The funny thing is when I see a low 10s car I say, **** that's fast enough

Also, I need to quit being a chicken **** & get a physical anyways. I haven't had one since I was 21 and I'll be 46 in 21 days

unless they changed it, you can run down to 9 flat in IHRA without a physical.
In NHRA it’s required at 9.99 and faster. Of the tracks you seem to run at, Norwalk is the only NHRA track.
Bowling Green is too( I get down there once a year for Moparty) but that’s it, around these parts. I don’t race at Indy, all the rest are IHRA/ WDRA.

Ya I dropped my NHRA license years ago as like you said Norwalk is the only track left that I race at that’s NHRA. It seems also like since my class runs 1/8 mile everywhere I race they backed off some. Even though the 1/8 mile ET is kicked in before the 1/4 mile et. Norwalk toughened up track safety inspections after and I won’t get into it a Pro Mod incident this year.

Also, I need to quit being a chicken **** & get a physical anyways. I haven't had one since I was 21 and I'll be 46 in 21 days
It depends on which class you run. are you running pro?
If so you need a physical.

-
Back