P.P.W9's and the goal of more HP

-
He had a 727....that lost parts going down the track...lol

that was the dump truck trans from hell! If it could go wrong it did. Of course about the time I got it all good I pulled it out

What is that on the valve spring seat area? Is the bare aluminum flaking?

That is what’s left of a spring shim after being pounded on by the valve spring.......for a long time.

That set of heads had quite a few issues, one of which was the springs were installed .110” taller than they should have been, which lowered the spring loads way to low for them to maintain control of the valvetrain.
And when the springs are run hard into the unhappy place over and over, they fatigue....... and then the load drops even more.
The free length of some of the springs had actually gotten quite a bit shorter.

These heads were being run with a decent sized hyd roller cam and 1.6 rockers.
The calculated seat load for a new spring at the as installed height of 1.990 would have been 120lbs.
The observed seat load for the used springs was 100-110.

Is that the short turn belly showing in that pic???? :eek:

I noticed that too.
Sometimes the way a bowl looks in a pic isn’t really how it looks in person.
The camera seems to make them appear more like a funnel.

That being said....... the bowl looks kind of small too....... but it could just be an illusion from the camera.

Why are guys so cheap with the pictures anymore. It’s not like we have to take 35mm photos to KMart or Walmart and pay to have them developed. And proper lighting goes a long way.

Why are guys so cheap with the pictures anymore. It’s not like we have to take 35mm photos to KMart or Walmart and pay to have them developed. And proper lighting goes a long way.
I’m doing some grinding today... lighting at the bench is good

35D65DB2-EB61-4F70-85F6-095A22F718B3.jpeg

I noticed that too.
Sometimes the way a bowl looks in a pic isn’t really how it looks in person.
The camera seems to make them appear more like a funnel.

That being said....... the bowl looks kind of small too....... but it could just be an illusion from the camera.
Could be I guess...I know those heads have a really large short turn, and some guys leave the belly too large. I know pics are NOT the best way to evaluate ports...was just curious if the short turn belly was really hanging in or not. W8/W9's take a bunch of work to get them right...looking forward to see results.

Not much progress due to SLOW parts coming in. As it stands i am waiting for 6 exhaust seats to come in and then I have all of the parts necessary to complete this project.
I really hate cutting seats out of cylinder heads--these powdered metal seats are hard and will be hell on the cutter inserts. Sunnen is charging insane amounts for their automotive consumables and non-consumables. I figured why not TIG a bead of stainless onto the back side (from the port entrance) and drive them out with a long chisel (ejector pin). The welding will induce heat and then when it cools should shrink and distort the seat--the bead will also give me something to strike.

It worked excellent with no trauma to the cylinder heads. 125 amps an inch of stainless (nothing else seems to work as well joining dissimilar metals) a few minutes of cool down and a few wacks with a hammer. They popped out nicely. Onto the next step-guide work. J.Rob

INTbead.jpg

INT1Whack.jpg

TIGEXH.jpg

EXHchisel.jpg

EXH1Whack.jpg

NOseats.jpg

I put some Beryllium seats in a set of Kauffman High Port Pontiac heads that had powdered metal seats in them originally.
The guys at Kauffman said just run a little bead on them in 3 or 4 places and they’ll basically fall out.
Worked like a charm.

New seats went right into the original seat pocket with no machining.

-
Back