parents, what's your take on this?

-
the biggest problem with youth sports are the parents. they need to sit back and relax. too many parents push way too hard an take things way too serious. i sure as hell am not a parent that likes this every game ends in a tie bullshit because i feel that the kids have to learn that the object is to win in a game but damn some parents are just nuts with it and push their kids way too hard.

After you instill in your kids to do the best they can, watch them and provide guidance and support. Too many parent's push too hard for their kids to be "great". Many, many times the parent's are trying to "compensate" for what they consider their own failure to be exceptional and do something out of the ordinary and push their kids too hard. Desire for success and determination and work ethic also has to come from within. This whole idea of the American extravaganza that you must have everything bigger and better than your neighbor or friends is absolutely ludicrous. If your'e on of these people who is trying to keep up with the Jones and success to you is the expensive car and fat house you won't be a friend of mine.

Did you read the quote that supposedly came from the "12" year old girl? I'm sure the media doctored it up to make it sound neater and more flowing, but that statement didn't sound remotely close to what a 12 year old would sound like, IMO. Sounds like the parents probably pushed her in a direction, she went and it didn't work out. Then another parent needs his *** kicked.

I played hockey when I was young and there was no house league you had to make the team and because of this alot of my friends and other boys didn't get the chance to play. As the sport grew house league came along and then there was a place for all to play and develope there skills or just play and have fun.My oldest son displayed a higher level of play at a young age and went on at the age of 10 was playing AAA and on to juniorC then junior b so the hockey exprience was priceless for him but during AAA the pollotics and parent interfearence ran rampid and ruined the game for many children. Now we have the speak out program which teach's coaching staff to spot and deal with most of these abuses. I believe that all parents should have to take this program before their child steps on the ice, after all the game is for the kids to have fun.

It's F'ing pee-wee. The point is to have fun.

That father has a big-*** chip on his shoulder from how shitty he was at hocket and how he used to be picked on.

I coached youth soccer for a couple of years, and the hardest part of doing that were the parents. Either they were way, way too involved and pushing for their kids to get special treatment, or they were not involved at all where they would drop the kids off for practice and games and then leave and then be late picking them up.

If I was the coach of that team, the first thing I would have done would have been to drop the kid whose father put that agenda together off the team. Parents need to focus on their own children and encourage and support them to improve their own skills and abilities, and not worry so much about the team. That's the coaches job to look at the whole team.

I coached youth soccer for a couple of years, and the hardest part of doing that were the parents. Either they were way, way too involved and pushing for their kids to get special treatment, or they were not involved at all where they would drop the kids off for practice and games and then leave and then be late picking them up.

If I was the coach of that team, the first thing I would have done would have been to drop the kid whose father put that agenda together off the team. Parents need to focus on their own children and encourage and support them to improve their own skills and abilities, and not worry so much about the team. That's the coaches job to look at the whole team.
Hockey is one of the sports children play where the "adult" role models are inadequate, basketball is another. The officiating crews should stop the fights and eject participants. For this reason I believe that hockey should not be a youth sport. As for the question asked, it wouldn't do for me to be her dad, somebody, probably me, would end up with a bloody nose.

I agree, the coaching was lacking at best.

Canadians take their hockey seriously.

I think the Parent that started all this crap is just mad because that girl could probably beat the snot out of his little "star player."

Remember that parent that tackled his Son's opponent on the wrestling mat during a competition because this kid was whooping his Son's ***?

That guy is an idiot. I am assistant coach of my 9 year olds basketball team and all we tell the girls is do your best,it would be nice to win but it is better to do your best and play by the rules and have fun above all. We have it lucky that the parents are letting us coach without coaching from the stands.It doesn't matter if one kid is a little slower or cant shoot as good because the team wins or looses as a group.

side note: don't put your kids' names on the back of your soccer mom lead wagon.. that's just inviting in a predator

side note: don't put your kids' names on the back of your soccer mom lead wagon.. that's just inviting in a predator

I always thought that was pretty tacky.

"Hey Mom, why are all the tires flat again?"

"Well, I just don't have a clue, Billy, but I think it's time we touched up your name on the side of the Tahoe."

All I had to read were these two points and I didnt need to go any farther,
1. “A child should never have been exposed to the treatment she received,” said Paul Dennis, a sports psychologist 2.Thornhill lawyer and parent of a player on the Ice Dogs team
Lawyers and phychologists, they need to stay the hell out of sports. IMO

For this reason I believe that hockey should not be a youth sport.

What!!.. my friends and myself grew up playing ice hockey,best damn sport on the planet..jeez,just think if everyone thought like you there NEVER would have been no Bobby Orr,no Gretzky,no Hull's ect ect...because they ALL played in youth leagues :-D:-D as for that parent that got the little girl kicked off the team he needs his *** kicked!!!

In my neck of the woods parents interfering with youth sports got to be enough of a problem (worest case; two fathers got in a beef and one killed the other) that the rules of conduct are pretty consistent across all the youth sports. If a parent interferes with the game, officiating or disrupts the other parents they are suspended from attending game(s) and if it continues the child is suspended. Sounds pretty unfair that a child be suspended for the parents actions but it is amazing how well it keeps the trouble making parents in line.

As for the father that drafted the agenda for a team meeting I am not aware of any youth sports where they have any authority to do that or that the coach would listen to a parent discuss someone elses child. Any childs roll on the team is up to the coach with in the rules established by the league (most youth sport leagues require that everyone get playing time). That father was way out of line and its unfortunate the child found out about it.

After you instill in your kids to do the best they can, watch them and provide guidance and support.

Yes!! This is how it should be. Try your very best. It's important to 'try' to win at everything in life. If you don't, that's life, but always TRY. Kids shouldn't get a medal for just showing up.

You think sports has politics? Try 4H !!

It's called the "Gretsky Syndrome" because there are a ton of hockey parents, on both sides of the border, that are totally convinced that their precious little Johnny will be the next Gretsky and god help the poor kid if he fails or anyone gets in his way. If the Hockey Association that this moron Atis belongs to had any morales they would BAN the jack *** from anything hockey. That includes the rinks and his kids games. While they're at it they should also Ban the parents who sided with this looser to have the little girl kicked out. Oh the father will sue of course but that's all right the Hockey Association can make an example of him and all his low life "Klingons". I can't speak for the eastern hockey clubs but out here the ruling bodies are starting to clamp down on jack *** mothers and fathers for non sportsman like crap (like yelling and screaming at games or fighting in the stands) that has resulted in a few of them being banned from rinks. The Associations have also started requiring the parents to take a short course on, not sure the title, basically anger management and if they don't show proof they've taken the course they can't register there kids.

I can look at this from both sides, as a pee-wee player and a parent. I'm 54 now but I still remember playing hockey when I was kid. I wouldn't let my parents stay for my games, especially my mother. I played hockey for the fun. Don't get me wrong, I was very competitive and wanted to win more than most kids, but it wasn't the end of the world if we didn't win. I progressed through the minor hockey program and was playing Junior "A" when I was still midget age. At that point, I gave up the competitive side of hockey because of a few things I saw with my own eyes. One was a mother of one of the players level a referee with her purse because she thought her son was in the penalty box to much. He should have been there more than he was. The other was a father absolutely going nuts on his son because of his poor play in a game I played in. I went back to playing house league after that and had a ton of fun.
As a parent I always told my son, you play to have fun, you play to win but I don't ever want to see you do cheap crap on the ice. If your gong to fight, fight, but it better be to protect one of your teammates or yourself. I don't ever want to see you rubbing your glove in somebody's face.
There are some things to remember with any sport.
1. If you don't want it to be competitive, don't keep score.
2. If it is competitive, not everybody is going to be happy.
3. If it is competitive, not everybody gets a medal or trophy.
4. If you don't declare a winner at the end of a season, it's not a sport.

As far as this idiot in the article is concerned, his occupation should tell you a lot.
This will sound sexist but it's not meant to be. Girls have girls teams and boys have boys teams and that's where everybody should stay. It would make life a lot easier for everybody. I wonder if the little girls mother ever thought of that when she pushed to have her daughter play on the boys team. There are lots of parents that want to live their lives through their kids accomplishments in the sports venues.

rant off

Jack

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTTTUBDx_28"]YouTube - Parent Rage in Wrestling Match[/ame]

I would have loved to have been there to beat this dudes ***.

Just so nobody thinks I have a bad attitude toward hockey (I actually do) I have a niece on a full-ride hockey scholarship. She played on a lot of teams where she was the only girl. If you want to play her, you better be able to take getting beat by a girl.

I think the fellow who thinks he know all is a idiot. He abviously knows nothing about being a kid and who cares nothing about others feelings. Im glad to see the teams skid......Unfortunately no one has spoke for her on the team. Kids are nasty enough to each other at times . We as parents well adults really should no better. After all we were young once. I for one got picked on alot at school and it does stay in the back of your mind, Occassinoally peaks out. I always thought hockey was played for fun.........OH! sorry i guess im stupid. I like to see this *** who wrote this to go face to face with her parents or someone who isnt so timid. That would end with him on his ***.........If it was me ...HE WOULD BE. jmo

Hockey is one of the sports children play where the "adult" role models are inadequate, basketball is another. The officiating crews should stop the fights and eject participants. For this reason I believe that hockey should not be a youth sport. As for the question asked, it wouldn't do for me to be her dad, somebody, probably me, would end up with a bloody nose.

I agree, the coaching was lacking at best.

Adult role modles are inadequate? thats a joke. The parents are idiots, not the youth players and 99.9 percent of pro players are pretty good role models. You comment is so stupid and unsupported that I want to pull your jersey over your head and beat the leaving daylights out of you!

Just so nobody thinks I have a bad attitude toward hockey (I actually do) I have a niece on a full-ride hockey scholarship. She played on a lot of teams where she was the only girl. If you want to play her, you better be able to take getting beat by a girl.

What does having a neice on a full ride d-3 scholarship have to do with anything? The laywer/parent is a joke and in my opinion the girl should be playing with the girls.. that is why there are girl teams.

-
Back