Pitman arm is hitting tortion bar! Help?

-
Torsion Bar Application Guide

Chassis: A-Body (35.8")

Diam " Orig P/N ID # MP P/N MP ID # Rate Application
0.81 - - P5249148 446,7 82 Drag
0.83 - - 2535888,9 888,9 - - 92 6-cyl
0.85 - - 2535890,1_ 890,1 - - 101 318
0.87 - - 2535892,3_ 892,3 P5249149 892,3 109 340
0.89 - - 2535894,5 894,5 P5249150 894,5 120 383/440
0.92 - - P5249151 448,9 137 XHD/Solo
0.94 - - 2948634,5 634,5 - - 149 '76 Police
0.99 - - P5249151 450,1 184 Solo, perf.
1.04 - - P5249153 452 224 HD solo, roadrace
1.09 - - P5249155 453 270 Circle track
1.14 - - P5249155 454 323 Circle track

Yup thats the way i have it. Expect i have the 318 bar on drivers side and the 340 bar on passenger side..

Then you should have a 892 on the passenger side and a 893 on the drivers to have a matching 340 set. Since you had the 892 on the drivers side I wonder if the 893 is on the passenger side? If so they were reversed when someone built the front end. That might explain the bend since the 892 was torsioned backwards from the original twist.

Then you should have a 892 on the passenger side and a 893 on the drivers to have a matching 340 set. Since you had the 892 on the drivers side I wonder if the 893 is on the passenger side? If so they were reversed when someone built the front end. That might explain the bend since the 892 was torsioned backwards from the original twist.

No i have an 892 on the passenger side right now. That has been there since i bought it from the po

No i have an 892 on the passenger side right now. That has been there since i bought it from the po

I had asked what you had on the drivers side and what you were replacing it with. I guess I wasn't clear or we just got our wires crossed. Did you have a 893 on the drivers side when this thread started?

yes it was a 893

Then according to the information I found they were indeed 340 bars. If you have everything to where it will clear then you need to find another 893 bar. What is a shame I left a pair laying in the back of a car when I bought the loaded disc brake K-frame and the 8 3/4 out of a 340 parts car down in McAlester Ok. I smooth forgot to pick them up. SHAME on ME!

Great news, do you think the pitman arm was the trouble all along?

The tie rod is supposed to be installed with the nut on top, not the bottom.

Not on his car. Damn I sure wish people would read the whole frackin thread before throwin out some bullshit.

Now all that is left to do is decide on a pair of headers and set the ride height, then get it aligned. Anybody know what the ride height is supposed to be at?

Glad you got all that worked out.I'll miss reading this every day trying to figure it out lol.

Not on his car. Damn I sure wish people would read the whole frackin thread before throwin out some bullshit.

You put that comment right how it belonged. How many times was it said and the correct information with pictures given? Too freaken many.

View attachment 268504
Successsssss!! I just want to throw a HUUUUUUGGGEEE thanks to everyone that was involved in this post..all of your suggestions and comments helped me in some way :D

I am glad you got this fixed. I am quite suprised about the Moog quality varing that much. I am dang glad I bought the old stock stuff for mine many years ago. You came a long ways and you have over come your problem so a big CONGRATULATIONS is in order.

Yes it was. I got three different pitman arms from moog..same part number and everything and they were all the different in some way!

Didn't you get the lower control arm (LCA) bushing fixed and welded up the broken K-member hole that LCA attaches to? That helped too.

Did you take pictures of them on top of each other or measure their height difference? If so, that could help others identify wrong parts so they don't have to go through all the troubles you did.

You know: Get help, give help.

Didn't you get the lower control arm (LCA) bushing fixed and welded up the broken K-member hole that LCA attaches to? That helped too.

Did you take pictures of them on top of each other or measure their height difference? If so, that could help others identify wrong parts so they don't have to go through all the troubles you did.

You know: Get help, give help.

X2.
Yes, he did and all three items combined solved the problem.

Was the torsion bar bent downwards or just bent alittle and didn't affect the tie-rod?

X2.
Yes, he did and all three items combined solved the problem.

Just wondered if one did more than the next.

Would like to see the measured critical points of all those Pitman arm. Like with the splined end flat on a surface and a measurement up and out to the zerk hole, or ball joint pin taper, or ?? The castings make look different but the spine and ball joint may be in the same place. Or not. It would help others I.D. one that is wrong.

Just wondered if one did more than the next.

Would like to see the measured critical points of all those Pitman arm. Like with the splined end flat on a surface and a measurement up and out to the zerk hole, or ball joint pin taper, or ?? The castings make look different but the spine and ball joint may be in the same place. Or not. It would help others I.D. one that is wrong.

Yes I will do some measuring and picture taking when I get home from work today :)

-
Back