Playing Nevada's Smog Game

-

70aarcuda

Master Hoader of SBM
Legendary Member
Reaction score
My 73 340 Duster with 360 eddy heads, 10.6 to compression with Hughes 230/237 .515/.535 wont pass smog. Used to have friend of friend who would pass it.

Anyway that guy is no longer available...LOL

Nevada has a classic car plate, over 30 yrs old, car must pass smog for registration and then pass smog at Nevada DMV's smog station. And I meant at the DMV....then Car does not ever need to be smogged again as long as it is driven less then 2500 miles.

Bought a MP 360 short block last year, the low compression model 4.02 bore with speed pro 116cp pistons, just put a set of J heads with new seals and check the spring height, cam is a Erson 208/214 with .421/449 lift. Compression is a healthy 8.8 to 1. Going to use the Eddy Performer RPM that is on current engine along with Eddy 1406 carb.

Plan is to get Duster smogged and plated, change out heads to close chamber rhs/indy X heads and hydraulic roller cam since the it is a 91 360 block. This will get the performance back.....

Any way will start to remove old 360 engine...this week hope to have it all running and done in a week or two....depending on how hot it is.

Last pic is it before it got the blue paint....

100_2958.jpg

100_2962.jpg

Picture 1007.jpg

Why don't you get Tonya to help you out... LOL ROTFLMAO!!!

She is only available on race days...LOL

but she does load and unload her car ...and tows it out to the track...

hell...her 408 motor is under the multi color blanket on the right...been sitting there for months now...

Wow bummer..nothing but a safety check here in Mass.[/QUOTE

If you put regular plates on where I live, safety check every year - but no smog. Down closer to DC smogged. Antique or YOM plates nothing!

Personally I would get a 50's or even 40's car and build it the way I feel is best. Then you need to wear no dumb seat belt either. But you could put in a racing seat belt that might do some real good, not just quickly kill you in a wreck to save the insurance companies money, its cheaper for them if you die on impact or a few mins later

Sounds like a good plan Tony but man that sure sucks having to do all that extra work just for a stupid smog test. I'm lucky here, being out in the country we don't have smog tests or inspections to worry about on anything.

Sounds like a good plan Tony but man that sure sucks having to do all that extra work just for a stupid smog test. I'm lucky here, being out in the country we don't have smog tests or inspections to worry about on anything.

some of the outlying small commnunties in Clark County (las vegas) are not required to smog their cars...but yes...anyway I have plans for the 360 that is coming out of the Duster...it is a 73 360 block that is .030 and will get stroked to a 408.

Can you put a Catalytic converter/s on it to pass smog test???....couriosity?

Here in Ontario,Canada we have to have our vehicles smog teste every 2 yrs,except vehicles 20 yrs old.Nothing but a money grab!Sucks you have to change out the engine,but after doing it you,ll be golden.Good luck with the 408/RHS build.

Can you put a Catalytic converter/s on it to pass smog test???....couriosity?

I actually thought of that...but I am going thru with plan...

but i think i might take another look at that again...

I never knew vegas had this law, wow.

good plan, though I thought about cat's too, but it's money and a gamble.

good luck.

1968 and newer still gotta be smogged unless you do the classic car plate...then they charge an extra 25 bucks for that plate every year....money grab as usual...

hard to believe kalifornia would have a better law...LOL

actually nevada had the rolling 30 yr law but somewhere along the way they changed it...probably figured someone was going to lose out on some cash.

1968 and newer still gotta be smogged unless you do the classic car plate...then they charge an extra 25 bucks for that plate every year....money grab as usual...

hard to believe kalifornia would have a better law...LOL

actually nevada had the rolling 30 yr law but somewhere along the way they changed it...probably figured someone was going to lose out on some cash.

It's always about money, sux.
then they use the money to create more costly laws later.. sigh..

Man that sucks. Being from Cali. I know what a pain in the A$$ all the smog crap is. I got lucky and the guy I was using for "help" didn't get busted till about a month before I moved out here to Texas.

I think if you could run the exhaust thru a Y pipe and a single cat for the test, you may be able to pass hmm. Some cats have a air inlet pipe on them, maybe you could use an electric air pump for an inflatable raft, friggin pump the cat full of air, maybe it would burn off all pollution gasses. Does your smog process involve having to be visually mechanically correct?

got the engine partly torn down today...it was leaking oil pass half of the intake valves on the edelbrock heads...top of pistons look great....intake valve did not....look in intake port....alot of oil pass the guide...

just need to clean up engine bay......this week...if it is not too hot.

No smog tests (or any safety tests or inspections) for anything in Montana. Too bad you can't throw someone's FAST EZ-EFI system on for a day to pass the test. From what I hear, EFI makes it much easier to pass a tailpipe test.

I wish they would change it to be like Cali's before '75 rule. This '68 and newer rule bites. I feel like sticking a mailbox on the lot I have in Pahrump and registering the cars out there.

New motor...complete and ready to go in this weekend...cleaning engine bay

primed the oil pump and shot oil out of the rockers...

I wouldn't necessarily bet on a bolt on cat doing the job. Having just taken a class about catalytic converters in my graduate studies they're really part of a full system, not so much a standalone piece. It would probably help some, but without full engine management I don't think it would work as well. If you were close to passing I could see one helping you make the grade, but to just bolt one on a car without tuning to match it I don't think it would get you real far with the crazy strict emissions levels they look for nowadays.

Smog Laws suck.I think with the majority of the newer ,low emissions cars on the road today,its not much car smog,but mostly industrial smog.They got rid of E-Tests for gas vehicles in my part of Colorado in 2007,but just learned it is coming back this winter,so im hoping to get my collectors plates for my Duster to avoid having to do the smog test.I hated going there to get my car tested and feared it failing.Youre right,its all about the money.

-
Back