Poll on are you running Stock or Modified engines

Just wondering how many running stockish engines and how many running performance engines.

• Basically stock /6

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Basically stock Small Block

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Stock/Modified Big Block / Hemi

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • Modified /6

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Modified 273

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Modified 318

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Modified 340

Votes: 36 34.6%
  • Modified 360

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Gen 3 Hemi

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
-
Well, I don't consider a stock 340 a "stock" engine. It's a factory performance engine. Just like a Super Commando 440, or 440 six pack, or Hemi. Or any of the rest of the performance engine packages. To me, stock means like a stock 318. Or a stock 383 2 barrel.

I would tend to agree with you. Takes a bit to improve on any HP Mopar engine on the street.

so if you pulled a running 360 out of a bone yard....added an aftermarket cam, intake, carb, ignition and headers, is that basially stock lol. Heads have never been off.

1971 GSS Demon 340+6 - now tunnel ram 440

so if you pulled a running 360 out of a bone yard....added an aftermarket cam, intake, carb, ignition and headers, is that basially stock lol. Heads have never been off.
IMHO stock means pretty much stock. I would not consider a .030 over rebuild with stock parts modified. The changes you list I'd consider modified.

No that's modified lol, I say basically stock cause most cars are beyond 100% original, like running different carb or maybe even intake but once you start talking cam headers etc.. That modified.

IMHO stock means pretty much stock. I would not consider a .030 over rebuild with stock parts modified. The changes you list I'd consider modified.
Modified in a performance way, I said basically stock cause most cars aren't 100 % stock anymore so if you a holley instead of factory carb but everything is stock then I would say basically stock, even say you got 340 and use a similar cam even if slightly better I'd say stock.
Generally if you replace parts for performance gain then modified if you use some performance parts as replacement for general repair i'd say basically stock.

Modified in a performance way, I said basically stock cause most cars aren't 100 % stock anymore so if you a holley instead of factory carb but everything is stock then I would say basically stock, even say you got 340 and use a similar cam even if slightly better I'd say stock.
Generally if you replace parts for performance gain then modified if you use some performance parts as replacement for general repair i'd say basically stock.
I agree with that generally. If you replaced a 600cfm Carter with a 600cfm Holley you are still in stock.

If you replace the stock cam with one "slightly better".. IMHO.. no longer stock. As you say.. performance gain.

I don't consider headers an engine upgrade even with the sometimes massive gains you get over the stock logs. Wonder if I'm alone there.

I agree with that generally. If you replaced a 600cfm Carter with a 600cfm Holley you are still in stock.

If you replace the stock cam with one "slightly better".. IMHO.. no longer stock. As you say.. performance gain.

I don't consider headers an engine upgrade even with the sometimes massive gains you get over the stock logs. Wonder if I'm alone there.
The point of the poll see who's bombing around in there stock or near stock rides and who's into making them fast and with what engine.

The point of the poll see who's bombing around in there stock or near stock rides and who's into making them fast and with what engine.
Not confused by the point of the poll or arguing your position... maybe misread me?

Not confused by the point of the poll or arguing your position... maybe misread me?
The reason I gave the 340 cam eg. a lot of 340 replacement cams aren't stock and generally are better but I wouldn't think that person goal is to hot rod his engine, lot of grey area's.

Last edited:
The '68 Valiant has a stone-stock 170 Slant and I intend to largely keep it that way other than an ignition upgrade.

The '69 Valiant has a stock-stroke steel-crank 340, +.030" w/forged 10.5:1 TRWs. It's balanced (I don't know if the block was blueprinted) and sports ported 15° 65cc W2 heads, a Victor W2 intake, TTi headers and Holley 830DP (9381). The cam is a custom Lunati solid roller w/.586" lift, and an Ignitor III lights it all off.

My Challenger's engine (does that count?) will also be a 340. That block is fully blueprinted @ +.020". Pistons are by SRP, rods by BME, and the crank is a forged MP unit. I have ported T/A heads & rockers along with a complete OE Six Pack setup for the top end, an MP 284°/.528" solid cam, and a programmable distributorless ignition for spark. I still need to get the rotating assembly balanced; I'm waiting on dowel bearings for the rods. Yet another 4-speed car.

No real plans yet for the eight other 340s, the 360, or the 440 currently darkening my garage...

The '68 Valiant has a stone-stock 170 Slant and I intend to largely keep it that way other than an ignition upgrade.

The '69 Valiant has a stock-stroke steel-crank 340, +.030" w/forged 10.5:1 TRWs. It's balanced (I don't know if the block was blueprinted) and sports ported 15° 65cc W2 heads, a Victor W2 intake, TTi headers and Holley 830DP (9381). The cam is a custom Lunati solid roller w/.586" lift, and an Ignitor III lights it all off.

My Challenger's engine (does that count?) will also be a 340. That block is fully blueprinted @ +.020". Pistons are by SRP, rods by BME, and the crank is a forged MP unit. I have ported T/A heads & rockers along with a complete OE Six Pack setup for the top end, an MP 284°/.528" solid cam, and a programmable distributorless ignition for spark. I still need to get the rotating assembly balanced; I'm waiting on dowel bearings for the rods. Yet another 4-speed car.

No real plans yet for the eight other 340s, the 360, or the 440 currently darkening my garage...
Any old school mopar is fine

Curious, what's the difference in power and fun factor from the driver's seat between the stock 340 and the 408?
Not a fair comparison. The 71 Demon 340 is an all-original, restored stock 340 (other than purple "hemi grind cam) restored car w/ 3.55 rearend. We made it as stock/original as we could when we redid it. I think the exhaust pipes where they neck down going around the torsion bars are about 1-1/2" dia so this thing is really choked off. But that's ok because it's a car meant for cruising and taking to shows and having that type of fun. I tell people it's a sheep in wolf's clothing with it's Green Go color and flat black hood/scoops, stripes, etc.

The 408 is in my 72 Demon that has been a race car it's entire life until I bought it as a roller and made it street/strip. It's a decent car but leans HEAVILY to the track although we do drive it on the street more than you'd think. It's a TON OF FUN and the 408 is just a rowdy little kid wanting to go all the time!! But again, a totally different kind of fun.

It's interesting, when we take the cars to a cruise/show, sometimes separately or sometimes parked by one another, which one gets more attention depends on the type of show. There's the crowd that loves the all-original type of car and there's the crowd that loves hotrods. I'm just enjoying and feeling blessed to have one of each. (The 340 car is not quite done...are they ever? It still has a 440 radiator in it...)

Bet you can guess which engine is which!

1668031746902.png

1668031904099.png

Not a fair comparison. The 71 Demon 340 is an all-original, restored stock 340 (other than purple "hemi grind cam) restored car w/ 3.55 rearend. We made it as stock/original as we could when we redid it. I think the exhaust pipes where they neck down going around the torsion bars are about 1-1/2" dia so this thing is really choked off. But that's ok because it's a car meant for cruising and taking to shows and having that type of fun. I tell people it's a sheep in wolf's clothing with it's Green Go color and flat black hood/scoops, stripes, etc.

The 408 is in my 72 Demon that has been a race car it's entire life until I bought it as a roller and made it street/strip. It's a decent car but leans HEAVILY to the track although we do drive it on the street more than you'd think. It's a TON OF FUN and the 408 is just a rowdy little kid wanting to go all the time!! But again, a totally different kind of fun.

It's interesting, when we take the cars to a cruise/show, sometimes separately or sometimes parked by one another, which one gets more attention depends on the type of show. There's the crowd that loves the all-original type of car and there's the crowd that loves hotrods. I'm just enjoying and feeling blessed to have one of each. (The 340 car is not quite done...are they ever? It still has a 440 radiator in it...)

Bet you can guess which engine is which!

View attachment 1716008652

View attachment 1716008654

Thanks for the reply. Both cars look like a ton of fun! Meticulous detail to those engine bays as well. I asked because I've got a slightly warm 340 ready to drop in but have been thinking about possibly going with a 408 Blueprint engine if the 340 isn't fast enough for me. The wife bought a supercharged 350 Chevelle so I can't let her have the fastest car in the household lol

Your excitement when talking about the 408 has me thinking I may wind up there at some point.

Thanks for the reply. Both cars look like a ton of fun! Meticulous detail to those engine bays as well. I asked because I've got a slightly warm 340 ready to drop in but have been thinking about possibly going with a 408 Blueprint engine if the 340 isn't fast enough for me. The wife bought a supercharged 350 Chevelle so I can't let her have the fastest car in the household lol

Your excitement when talking about the 408 has me thinking I may wind up there at some point.
You would not be unhappy with a 408!

Running a 4 barrel carb on the stock 2 barrel small block engines is the difference of night and day.

Best Bang for the Buck ever.

I clicked "Modified 340" because I don't have the stock cam or carburetor and it is bored .030 over. I have an edelbrock intake and M/T valve covers :)

I do have a stock 340 square bore intake laying around but it is in rough shape..can cast iron be welded ? Some of the cast around the carb bolt holes is a bit rough,it would be nice to weld it up and grind it down if that's possible. I also have a Thermoquad intake somewhere also. I suppose I could make it "stock appearing" if I caught the bug to do so.

Running a 4 barrel carb on the stock 2 barrel small block engines is the difference of night and day.

Best Bang for the Buck ever.
About 20 years ago I swapped out the ESC and factory 2V on an '84 Fifth Avenue, replacing the parts with stock '73 340 distributor, ignition box, and Thermoquad on a crap Edelbrock Performer. It was a totally different car after that, even though it still had the complete OE exhaust system.

-
Back