Progress report...

-
Same, my local convertor shop did me one for my '69 225 to '64 trans.
'late case w/early inerds'
They even high stall'd it for the low price of $170

dalenzie convertors

http://dalenzie.com/

NOW you tell me...

I just ordered a bastard (old front/newer back) converter from Hughes for $495.00.disgust 3,000 rpm stall, though... It'll be here in 8 days.

This sumbitch better run....:angry5:

any time you get a new or rebuilt convertor stick one of them long reach magnets down in there and move the convertor around some then check the magnet for metal shavings,welding "Pop" etc when they weld them together metal can and will getminside the convertor, just be careful and check it to be sure, Just a Lil' heads up, hope this is helpful

any time you get a new or rebuilt convertor stick one of them long reach magnets down in there and move the convertor around some then check the magnet for metal shavings,welding "Pop" etc when they weld them together metal can and will getminside the convertor, just be careful and check it to be sure, Just a Lil' heads up, hope this is helpful

Thanks Waggin' That makes all kinds of sense!!!

I'll sure do it!!! Next Wednesday, when we get our new converter!!!!=P~

NOW you tell me...

I just ordered a bastard (old front/newer back) converter from Hughes for $495.00.disgust 3,000 rpm stall, though... It'll be here in 8 days.

This sumbitch better run....:angry5:

3000 stall? Does Hughs know its going into a /6 turbo?

3000 stall? Does Hughs know its going into a /6 turbo?

I gave him all the pertinent specs. 3,000 rpm is the approximate torque peak for this engine. I thought that was an appropriate rpm for it to stall.

What are your thoughts on that?

I'd appreciate your input....

I gave him all the pertinent specs. 3,000 rpm is the approximate torque peak for this engine. I thought that was an appropriate rpm for it to stall.

What are your thoughts on that?

I'd appreciate your input....

Bill, Since your's is a turbo build and our's is supercharged, I guess it would depend on how much boost you build and how much boost your brakes can handle on the line.

While we were waiting on the custom 4000 stall converter we threw in a stock converter to get some tuning time in. While attempting a launch, the rear tires started spinning before the engine went into boost and talk about a slug off the line once the brakes were released.

With the 4000 stall in place and a couple test lauches under the belt (still felt we needed more converter) we went to a TnT day at the track. On the very first shake down pass, Denny left the line from an idle. The car went a high 1.7x 60' 12.10 @ 112, but the front cover on the converter cracked, oiling down the track at the turn off so we were done racing for the day.

While the converter was in for repair, the stall was upped to 5000 rpm. A couple test launches later and we were off to our local 1/8 for testing again. By the end of the day the best 60' was a 1.61, in boost with the car pushing to break the beams and ran a 7.19 @ 98mph. I still think we need a looser converter cause our data logs showed it took 1.4 seconds of the 1.61 60' before it was on the converter. The car simply needs more rpm at the launch, but the Weldwood brakes on all 4 corner's can't hold it.

Heres a few option's we've talked about.

1. A transbrake would help, but would put the car in Super Pro/electronic's.

2. Play around with different converter stalls, but would be costly and timely to find the right combo.

3. Think about keeping the package we have right now and give her a small shot of n2o off the line.

WWBD? (What would Bill do?) Vote now. :yawinkle:

Bill, Since your's is a turbo build and our's is supercharged, I guess it would depend on how much boost you build and how much boost your brakes can handle on the line.

While we were waiting on the custom 4000 stall converter we threw in a stock converter to get some tuning time in. While attempting a launch, the rear tires started spinning before the engine went into boost and talk about a slug off the line once the brakes were released.

With the 4000 stall in place and a couple test lauches under the belt (still felt we needed more converter) we went to a TnT day at the track. On the very first shake down pass, Denny left the line from an idle. The car went a high 1.7x 60' 12.10 @ 112, but the front cover on the converter cracked, oiling down the track at the turn off so we were done racing for the day.

While the converter was in for repair, the stall was upped to 5000 rpm. A couple test launches later and we were off to our local 1/8 for testing again. By the end of the day the best 60' was a 1.61, in boost with the car pushing to break the beams and ran a 7.19 @ 98mph. I still think we need a looser converter cause our data logs showed it took 1.4 seconds of the 1.61 60' before it was on the converter. The car simply needs more rpm at the launch, but the Weldwood brakes on all 4 corner's can't hold it.

Heres a few option's we've talked about.

2. Play around with different converter stalls, but would be costly and timely to find the right combo.

3. Think about keeping the package we have right now and give her a small shot of n2o off the line.

> off-the-wall idea, mod/use the parking sprag,(solenoid) to help hold ? Not "exactly" a trans brake-right ? ateam.:ncool:

You wouldn't be able to release the parking sprag with that much of a load on it, kinda like when parked on a steep hill its hard to shift out of park.
How about a smaller bore master cyl, it would be easier to hold more pressure to the brakes. Or you may need wider front tires if they are locked up and sliding.

I have another car, a '72 Valiant that has a Vortech supercharged 360 Magnum with a Holley double pumper 750 blow-through carb that was modified by the Carb Shop for action in a blow-through environment.

It has a short-duration Hughes cam (214/218 degrees duration @ .050"-lift), but .525"-gross lift (hydraulic roller.) That cam is in at the Hughes spec, and has 114-degrees of lobe separation.

It has a stock "hi-stall" 318 torque converter tht stalled at 2,500 rpm (full throrttle) when it was normally-aspirated.

My 60-foot times are not good (1.81-sec., best) with that car because at breakaway/launch it incinerates the tires. It's got low end torque like it had 500 cubic inches. It thinks it's a big block. It's not that fast, overall (11.50s @ 118mph quarter-mile speed), but the off-the line torque is such that it spins all the way through 1st gear with a 3.55:1 limited slip third member. Since then, I have gotten some 1-inch wider tires on it (Hoosier 9" X 28" bias-ply slicks) and changed the final drive to a 4.10:1 limited slip. Haven't run it yet, with the new combo, but I am hoping for some 1.50+ 60-foot times... no increase in trap speed (probably less, with the wider tire), but the e.t. should improve, if it hooks better.

I said all that to say this: those two turbocharged /6's that I patterned our build after seem to make humongous amounts of low-and-medium-range torque. They (Shaker223 and 66turboValiant) both are low rpm motors that seem to like 2.76:1 rear axle ratios bettter than numbers in the high 3's or low 4's. We have a 3.55 Sure Grip and a 2.74 1st gear 904. The converter I just bought is a 3,000-rpm stall unit that I am hoping will catch this turbo motor right in the middle of its sweet spot, but it's all pure speculation, because we haven't even fired the engine, yet.

The rear axle is a B-Body 8.75" with the bigger (wider) brakes, and we'll have NO proportioning valve, and have a master cyllinder with a smaller-than-stock primary piston, so I'm hoping that the brakes will be good enough to keep it from rolling the lights, at stall. We'll see...

The last option would definitely be a 50(?) hp shot of N20 for 1 second, at the launch, to help spool the turbo/converter. I don't really want the added complication of a trans brake, but we may have to go to one, if all else fails.

Time will tell! :)

Thanks for your interest and comments; we're new at this...

Attachments

• 100_3266.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 315
I use a stock converter in my ride with a 100 shot when the light is green the boost is at 20psi with a 1 second shot,it nocked 1.5 seconds of my et:razz::razz:
this year I am expirementing with a variable geometry turbo should have it working as soon as the new motors in. then maybe I can get my truck off of the nose candy

Ah hell, deal with the LAG! That way your opponent will think they won!! LoL!

I use a stock converter in my ride with a 100 shot when the light is green the boost is at 20psi with a 1 second shot,it nocked 1.5 seconds of my et:razz::razz:
this year I am expirementing with a variable geometry turbo should have it working as soon as the new motors in. then maybe I can get my truck off of the nose candy

That Nose Candy does wonders. I may do the same thing but shut the juice off after about 2 seconds or right before the 1-2 shift...

That turbo/6 has to be one of the coolest motors I've ever seen, and the procharger Valiant...LOVE IT. Bill, I hope I get to be like you when I grow up...hanging out with good friends, working on hot rods and not being afraid of trying new things. AWESOME.

Progress of our first ever project, a '69 Valiant...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=116288

What a great story!!!! I am THOROUGHLY impressed with your Valiant project!!! It's so admirable that you have involved your closest family members to such a large extent in this, and made this their project, too!!!

You guys do great work!!!

Really refreshing to see someone doing a project like this with such a THOROUGH work ethic!!! You don't miss ANYTHING!!!

I'm a '69 Valiant closet freak; I bought a '69 V-100, 2-door sedan, 170 /6 3-on-the-tree, in 1976 and was gonna drop a 340/904 into it, but circumstances (moved from Iowa to California about that time) knocked that plan into a cocked hat... along with a lot of others...

So, what you are doing, is sort of the end to my dream.... LOL!

Keep us posted on that EXCELLENT project! That's what a Mopar project car should be!!!

Thank you for all the kind words RE: our cars.

Usually the only thing anyone says about the engine pictures of my Vortech supercharged 360 is, "Has anyone been electrocuted in that wiring, yet?" Or, "that reminds me, we've had spaghetti three times this week." I need to get after that... no excuse for work that sloppy.

The turbo /6 project is one that my racing partner (Freddie Nielsen) and I dreamed up one day when we were bored with our V8 cars and wanted a challenge. That was 14 months ago.... 14 VERY BUSY months, as we not only had to build an engine, but pretty much a whole car.

Nothing like YOU have done, but a big job for two guys 72 and 73 years old... we're S-L-O-W.....

But, we are coming down to the wire on firing this anomaly up... maybe this week.... maybe next, but it's gettin' close!

Pray for us.... and, thanks for your interest!

Good luck on that '69.... it's FORMIDIBLE!!!!:eek:

Bill

Attachments

• js640_frednme.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 453
  • js640_js640_turboside.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 462
Hi Bill, you guys are doing a great job. I would be proud of it anytime.
You know, age brings efficiency, instead of going two times to fetch two items you go one time and bring them both. lol

Hi Bill, you guys are doing a great job. I would be proud of it anytime.
You know, age brings efficiency, instead of going two times to fetch two items you go one time and bring them both. lol

Well, that's not exactly how it goes, but, I'll take it!!! :)

How's the blower project going????

Here's some more of our slow-as-a-snail progress....

Well, that's not exactly how it goes, but, I'll take it!!! :)

How's the blower project going????

Here's some more of our slow-as-a-snail progress....

Forgot to add the pix....:angry7:

Attachments

• js640_IMG_0551.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 398
  • js640_IMG_0552.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 384
  • js640_IMG_0553.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 407
He's a little prone to using what we have on hand...

That is some funny stuff right there!

I say use 2 of the hoses with the bends, 1 off the radiator and cut the hose about 6 inches, same on the engine side that make a straight line. Then use a straight piece of Pipe in between them with some hose clamps..........

-
Back