Progress report...

-
She'd like some pressurized air even better....:cherry:

See; I never let up... LOL!

Well, here's the latest; a mocked-up intercooler installation. May get shoved up even higher, in the final comfiguration.... we'll see.

Attachments

• js640_scan0043.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 383
So here I am sittin at the inverness airport and the f.A.B.O. company jet has yet to pick me up and now I'm outta beer,the attendant at the airport is lookin at me funny with these doors and 1/4 panels and empty beer cans all around me...wtf?

She takes good pictures Bill :toothy4:and a great driver, when I get the new head on her Shaved a bit and big valves from 66aCUDA, I will be getting some body work dun on the low lower rear 1/4's
I am watching a older used bonnet on ebay so I can take the inboard marine bonnet and adapter off. so far it's up to $29 blus $9 shopping.

I have the breather tubes plugged off, I took this picture before I put the tube plugs on the 94 Jeep filter box, she like fresh air !!

Say, are you gonna put that on or just keep takin picthers of the damned thing?

Say, are you gonna put that on or just keep takin picthers of the damned thing?

:toothy10::toothy10::-D here is a picture I took last week just for you SS :iconbigg: After 3.000 miles :cheers:

Attachments

• Axle bearing change 117.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 380
So here I am sittin at the inverness airport and the f.A.B.O. company jet has yet to pick me up and now I'm outta beer,the attendant at the airport is lookin at me funny with these doors and 1/4 panels and empty beer cans all around me...wtf?

Thank you for a big laugh this morning wagg's :toothy10::toothy10:
I can picture you sitting in the corner with empties all around your feet =D>:toothy10::rock:

Here is to you brother from Creed 8) This is an old friend just a couple miles away that built a nice shop 8) and got mad at me for doing my axles by myself at home on the ground

Attachments

• Axle bearing change 116.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 375
  • Axle bearing change 049.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 374
Thanks for the kind words! We're S-L-O-W, for sure, but with a combined age of 145, it's a miracle that we get anything done at all!!!

Freddie's the good-looking guy in the plaid shirt... He built that header with NO HELP from me, or anyone...

Can't wait to hear some stories of you guys going out & "eating some rice" with that six banger! :snakeman: The kids will never know what hit 'em! :cheers:

Can't wait to hear some stories of you guys going out & "eating some rice" with that six banger! :snakeman: The kids will never know what hit 'em! :cheers:

Well, it has't fired a lick, yet; we'll have to wait and see if it will even run, before we can make any comments about beating ricers, or anyone else...

The proof of the pudding, you know... but, thanks for your confidence; just because Tom's and Ryan's cars run like the hammers of hell, doesn't mean this "copy-cat" car will. You have to remember; we (Freddie and myself) have a combined age of 143... and, we forget things...

Time will tell; we'll see.8)

Well, it has't fired a lick, yet;

The reason it hasn't is not ENTIRELY our fault.

Case in point; we destroyed the 904's front pump drive tangs by bolting the tranny up to the back of the block, with ZERO torque-converter clearance, or "play" if you will... the converter had no fore-and-aft clearance, once the bell housing bolts were tightened. Wouldn't slide on the input shaft, at all.....

We noticed that the converter was "tight" against the flex plate AND the front pump; you could not move it.

We removed it and took the transmission to a repair facility who replaced the front pump "tang/gear" assembly. We had damaged it when we attempted to bolt it up.... our bad...

The repair shop installed the converter in the case, making sure the drive was properly seated in the pump. We tried again, to bolt up the transmission to the back of the block, and AGAIN, the converter was too tight (bottomed out in the pump before the case was bolted up to the back of the block.)

That time, we were careful and didn't force anything. We took the converter out and measured all the pertinent shafts, and any other things we thought might be contributing to this mess.

Here's what we found: We had the original /6 904 converter out of our donor car for reference.

This new converter is early 3/8" "fatter" than the original. Same diameter, but that "fatter" dimension makes the converter LONGER, even though the pump-drive shaft is the same length.

They sold me a converter that will not work in this application.

People warned me about Dacco (cheap) converters, but I'll be honest; I never anticipated anything like this.

It's a bastard converter; small (early) pilot shaft, to fit the smaller pilot hole in the 1964 (forged) crank, but a late-model spline count to fit the 1972 transmission innards.

But, that shouldn't matter. Now, I have to wait 'til Monday morning to take it to them for replacement; they're not open on Saturday.

Took us a long time to figure out just why this converter wouldn't fit. Never heard of such a thing....:wack:

Here are some "mockup" pictures that Freddie took of the engine sitting on the motor mounts. There were some who were concerned that the turbo was too far forward and that it might run into the radiator support/bulkhead. This picture shows the real physical relationship, and that there's not a problem with that.

Thanks for your interest.:)
that is nice!good job!

Well that sucks Bill.I hope they make good on a replacement for your application.Building our dream cars,never seems to come easy.good luck and keep us posted.:study:

Well, it has't fired a lick, yet; we'll have to wait and see if it will even run, before we can make any comments about beating ricers, or anyone else...

The proof of the pudding, you know... but, thanks for your confidence; just because Tom's and Ryan's cars run like the hammers of hell, doesn't mean this "copy-cat" car will. You have to remember; we (Freddie and myself) have a combined age of 143... and, we forget things...

Time will tell; we'll see.8)

Don't worry, it'll run. I think we all have faith in you. :headbang:

Hughes made me one of those bastard converters for my early 273 and later 904, it works great and was not expensive(<$200)- just in case you have to source another one. Great thread!!

Hughes made me one of those bastard converters for my early 273 and later 904, it works great and was not expensive(<$200)- just in case you have to source another one. Great thread!!

Thanks for that info. If they just give me back my money (fat chance!) I'll call Hughes.:angry5:

Bill, I feel your pain. Basically the same thing happened when we ordered a custom billet converter for our SL/6 Duster. Basically the builder forgot to take the crank bolts in to consideration when he built it even after giving him a stock converter and flex plate to use for measurements. Wish you luck.

If they say they can do it and now after all your time they can't :argue:
Give them a peace of my mind Bill, Good luck tomorrow and I hope they man up and see they tried and failed, Now they will know that they can't do it that way " and learn from it" you gave them your money to do what they said they could... But we all know we don't liv in a perfect world.

You have 207 people waiting to make an order and they need to make it correctly and show us they can or spend your money ells were :yawinkle:.
set back's ](*,) I am sure you have been here before Bill, Good luck tomorrow.

Give them a peace of my mind Bill,

set back's ](*,) I am sure you have been here before Bill, Good luck tomorrow.

I'd give them a piece of MINE, but then I'd have nothing left... and, I have little enough, now....

Yes, set-backs are a part of Hot Rodding; if you can't handle them, time to get a new hobby... LOL!

I'll let you know how this turns out, Memike.

Bill, I feel your pain. Basically the same thing happened when we ordered a custom billet converter for our SL/6 Duster. Basically the builder forgot to take the crank bolts in to consideration when he built it even after giving him a stock converter and flex plate to use for measurements. Wish you luck.

This "too-thick" converter is a new one on me... but it can be dealt with in a number of ways. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do.

I'll post a note wwhen I find out what they decide.

Thanks for your interest!!!

This "too-thick" converter is a new one on me... but it can be dealt with in a number of ways. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do.

I'll post a note when I find out what they decide.

Thanks for your interest!!!

Rather than try to deal with the problem, the counter-man at tht tranny place just gave me my money back, ALL of it ($295.00) with a smile and an apology.

Can't do better than that, I guess.

Back to square one. disgust

Calling Hughes, now....

Same, my local convertor shop did me one for my '69 225 to '64 trans.
'late case w/early inerds'
They even high stall'd it for the low price of $170

dalenzie convertors

http://dalenzie.com/

Good news to hear today Bill =D&gt; I know what you mean, one step forward three steps back sometimes :happy8:

To Bill & Fred. I just looked at your thread. Two old GEEZERS (like me)LOL doing very nice work. I love it. Hunky

-
Back