Removing Torsion Bars? and leaving them out?

-

225Cuda

Reaction score
Hey Knowledgeable folks I am wondering if I can take out the Torsion Bars on my 67 fastback B'Cuda and leave them out, I am changing over to air ride as the torsion bars will be obsolete,
I am wondering if the lower control arm will stay in place with the absence of the torsion bar.

or should I just take all the pressure off of the torsion bars and leave them in and basically render them unused.

I think they will stay in place absent the torsion bars. Correct me if im wrong. MT

I'd leave them in, they stabilize the back side of the lower control arm. You could back them off a bit. If you're not road racing and just cruising it might be ok. Some one on here had built a tubular lower control arm that would work well with your setup. Do a search.

this is kind of a "touchy" subject. The torsion bars transfer some of the weight to their rear mounting point. the other part of the load is on the front of the bar, suspending the front end by a twisting action on a spring steel bar. Since the front end weight of the vehicle is split between the front and the back of the torsion bar mounting points, some believe that the full weight should not be supported by the front frame structure (unless some substantial reinforcing is done) the theory is the the front frame structure was designed to work with the design of the torsion bar design. the original design of the front frame structure was not designed for any type of coil spring suspension. That being said, many coil spring front end has been put under many such A and B or E body mopar vehicles. If it were me, I would do some reinforcing of the front frame structure as in a substantial roll bar design that would tie into the front frame horn section, through the firewall at some point and then into a cross bar that ties the two front door pillars together. Then adding a coil spring designed front suspension would not be so much of a concern. Generally speaking, a full roll cage design adds tremendously to the torsional stiffness of the entire chassis. A great benefit to handling no doubt. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy!

correct me if Im wrong the torsion bar is just a different style "Spring" right, and as I remember torsion bar suspensions are only adequate for pickup trucks and not for road racing and euro cars dumped them only a few years after 1st using them.

Im wondering if you might have a issue with bushing coming out. Look how it is put together. MT

I am basically wanting to replace the T-bars with air springs and an anti rollbar

Don't know exactly how a 67 Cuda is, but if you take the torsion bars out of a dart the first time you hit the brakes backing up it'll take the control arm right off the bushing and pin.
The bars are what holds it on.
Thats why you can remove the clips for the bars and pry the control arm back to replace the bars.

I just looked it up (67 cuda arms) and you CAN NOT remove the T bars without a different design lower arm.
Otherwise only the bushing rubber is holding it on the pin, and with poly bushings you wouldn't even have that holding it.

...the torsion bar is a great design. Just look up some articles on the "Green Brick" One of the benefits is that it is adjustable for some ride height and is easily replaced. Also non of the wweight o the spring is considered unsprung weight. But, if you insist on the air bag suspension, atleast build a correct mounting point. the upper shock mount is not designed to hold the weight of the car. Also do some reinforcing of the fron frame section [tubes etc]
DO NOT just put in a coil over shock type of spring [using an airbag of course] in place of the stock shock absorber and think this will work.

So here is what I'd do if I were you; J-bars from firewall to frame rails to strengthen the rails and a Hemi Denny Coil-over kit for the stock K-frame (might even want to go with the Denny K). This way you can run a coil over type bag without having to make plate mounts for it.

Boy you really drank the koolaid didn't you.

There's nothing wrong with a torsion bar suspension.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SwRwY6pDdE"]The Hotchkis Suspension Smile Machine - YouTube[/ame]

Check out the Hotchkiss Emax Challenger. I rode in this car and its a freakin blast. And yes, it has torstion bars.

correct me if Im wrong the torsion bar is just a different style "Spring" right, and as I remember torsion bar suspensions are only adequate for pickup trucks and not for road racing and euro cars dumped them only a few years after 1st using them.

You're wrong.

Correct you if your wrong? well yes, you are wrong, and that was perhaps the stupidest post of the week.

To answer your first question. IF the LCA bushings are in good condition and are NOT poly, the torsion bar is not necessary to hold the LCA in place.

As for handling with torsion bars. It has been accomplished by MANY without a great deal of effort or excessive cost. The only reason I could see for going to air ride would be to get the car LOW.

To answer your first question. IF the LCA bushings are in good condition and are NOT poly, the torsion bar is not necessary to hold the LCA in place..

i don't know if i would trust it to bonded rubber. i know the strut is there but still...

Correct you if your wrong? well yes, you are wrong, and that was perhaps the stupidest post of the week.

If its not a spring type device used to keep the front end up, where is the spring to do so? To me it acts as a"spring" to lift the front of a vehicle . Certainly its not a anti sway bar, and yes I want my B'Cuda to ride a little lower, its also for a comfort ride. I can't run shockwaves on the front as they are way overpriced and there is no room through the upper control arm.

I mean I don't want my B'Cuda to ride like a 4x4 off road truck ya know.

Yes. It's a spring. In fact, that's exactly what it is and nothing more.

And, um, I don't know of a truck, dodge or otherwise, with torsion bars.

That said, same tricks apply to all springs. With the weight of the vehicle on them, slowly heat them bitches up to dull cherry red evenly along their length and let air cool. Control arm still located, but the spring is out of the equation. Then bag to your hearts content.

Figuring out how to heat them without getting squished when the car drops is up to you.

I guess the low rider crowd does things differently than they used to?

Porsche 911's run front and rear torsion bars stock....thy handle like crap. :D

You need a system designed to carry the load of the upper shock mount or your going to fold in half when you turn. Air ride wasn't designed to be used on our cars without installing a different front end system like RMS or HD. If you want to get low just go slightly larger (Higher spring rate) on your torsion bars and adjust with your torsion bar clocking mechanism. You can also try dropped spindles but you have to be careful when buying wheels so you compensate for the added track width you will have. There are tons of articles on the RMS, HD and even Magnum Farce systems here so you can learn from others mistakes for free.:cheers:

I don't think u would want to use both...just because they would never be equally acting together...some have made the lca pin into a stud going through to the back side and then use a nut and washer to hold the arm in...the unibody will def need some work to support the weight...

-
Back