RHS headed 410 sb UPDATE!

-
Mild clean up and what do they move? If I had to guess who did them, I'm sure they were flowed on a 4.25" fixture as well and maybe weren't done at 28", but at a lower number and a conversion factor used?

Well mr. know it all why don't you tell me who did my heads??..

Those rhs do flow well..but i'll stick with my edelbrocks and 50lbs less weight on the frontend,as well as having more potential for improvements over steel heads, to the comments on being a stock replacement lol,,i know guys running in the NINES with Edelbrocks can you say that about steel heads on a small block??..

Those rhs do flow well..but i'll stick with my edelbrocks and 50lbs less weight on the frontend,as well as having more potential for improvements over steel heads, to the comments on being a stock replacement lol,,i know guys running in the NINES with Edelbrocks can you say that about steel heads on a small block??..

Dude, you're missing the whole point and getting lost in the "my daddy will beat up your daddy" argument that goes nowhere. Two different daddys here...

Brian's RHS heads for 1300 OUT THE DOOR, are ready to soundly outperform the more expensive edelbrock head as Edelbrock delivers it.

Brian's heads are assembled from bare castings the right way by him, with everything included in the price...like a nice valve job. lawlz

You're also confusing a lot of people here for people who want to sit there rubbing on a head until you can stick your arm into them. Not entirely so. These are all MOSTLY typical 4XX strokers. So for the money with the intent of taking them out of the box and running them, the edelbrocks don't touch them.

In this category, it's plainly obvious who the winner here is.
For those who want to rub and fondle heads to make another few hp, go with your bad self!:notworth: I won't try to dissuade you, or dispute your results.
I dont care enough to do that myself knowing what I'm already working with. I would rather buy something that doesnt need it.:thumblef:

For those who want a great flowing head by default with some more room to grow should you need/want to, the RHS is a far better deal....and for what edelbrocks would cost ported to do the same, I got some HOT hughes magnum shaft rockers to go on top of them, and I'm frikkin' loving it.:drinkers:

Do you get it now????

So just to be clear, you can use the LA style shaft rocker arms on these heads? or is there 2 sets of RHS heads, Magnum and LA?

So just to be clear, you can use the LA style shaft rocker arms on these heads? or is there 2 sets of RHS heads, Magnum and LA?

The LA heads are for shaft mount and the Magnum are studded...they are the same head, but the magnum has the intake face drilled for magnum and rocker studs. The LA is early intake face and pedestals for shaft rockers.

Brian,
What would be the next step as things go? Car Craft, Hot Rod, etc. are known to take things a step further for more articles.

Would you port these heads next? Then try ootb aluminum heads and finally ported aluminum heads? More cam? I'm curious to see where this could go. Possibilities seem endless. :burnout:And I'm liking a low 10 second smallblock! :cheers: Could it still be "streetable"?

Wylde1.

I'm trying to secure a part 2, but I can't say if it will happen. But if so it will be a 600HP street pump gas deal using the same short block.
That's all I can say.

hly crap brian that thing left like a bat outa hell! very nice! im wondering what a set of these heads would do on a stock stroke 340 with a similar sized cam and a 4.10-4.30 gear....what tire are you running on it?

Personally I think these heads are better suited to smaller engines because of the port speed and cross section. This much flow with such a small port will allow a small engine to make greay TQ and HP from a mild combo.

hughes makes shaft rockers for both the LA and Mag heads. I will have the Mag version here in a day or two and have the hughes magnum roller shafts right here.

I had a thread on those. in the smallblock tech section...

Right-cha!
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=91831

I am aware of the magnum shaft rockers that hughes made. and I read your thread. :) very cool. I guess what I meant to ask was can you use the hughes LA style rocker setup instead of the magnum setup? Is the head setup for using both styles.

The LA heads are for shaft mount and the Magnum are studded...they are the same head, but the magnum has the intake face drilled for magnum and rocker studs. The LA is early intake face and pedestals for shaft rockers.

Thanks Brian. I am aware of the LA and Magnum differences! lol...These are a great head, and I will most likely pick up a set for a hot little 318 I plan to build! I would like to use the LA style rocker setup though as it is tad less expensive.

Personally I think these heads are better suited to smaller engines because of the port speed and cross section. This much flow with such a small port will allow a small engine to make greay TQ and HP from a mild combo.

That's what I'm thinking too... I can't wait to get a pair of those for my 318! With 10.5:1 comp, said heads, and a short-duration fast-ramp cam (reusing the cam in my sig) I should be able to tow a house, or drive around with only 3rd and 4th LOL. Then add a good solid (roller?) cam later with maybe some porting and have a 7000 RPM screamer!

I have about $2400 into my Edelbrock heads stage 2 ported from Shady Dell, 10 degree retainers and locks, and upgraded valve springs. 280 cfm at 550 lift. I like the weight savings off the front of the car. Especially since it has manual steering.

For someone on a tight budget those RHS heads look very attractive. You can't beat them for the price. It is great to finally have an affordable head for the SB mopar. Lot of bang for the buck. Been a long time waiting.

sounds like a good recipe for a high rpm screamer! all i know is if these heads stay this price once i get enough money i think im going to grab a set! i have to say brian, out of all the mopar shops out there that i have read about and talked to guys about, it seems you do nice, no b.s., quality work that puts down numbers for an honest price:thumblef: and your test mule is badass too! lol

I have about $2400 into my Edelbrock heads stage 2 ported from Shady Dell, 10 degree retainers and locks, and upgraded valve springs. 280 cfm at 550 lift. I like the weight savings off the front of the car. Especially since it has manual steering.

For someone on a tight budget those RHS heads look very attractive. You can't beat them for the price. It is great to finally have an affordable head for the SB mopar. Lot of bang for the buck. Been a long time waiting.
I,m in the same boot$ as you 340s,I would,ve definetly picked up a pair of the RHS heads before buying my Eddy RPM,s had they been available.I guess thats the way things always turn out after a purchase(something cheaper available)I,m sure there,s alot more to do to a car to get in the 10,s then just bolting on these heads.I,m waiting to see how well they,ll do after some P&P?Low 10,s for sure!:thumblef:

Brian gets great numbers as a result of his valve job and the larger valve. With these heads, and Brian's package, there is a new dog in the fight for a street head war and it has the potential to do quite well in the 340-416cid, 300-500hp market. But saying it's the RPM beater all accross the board... I can't agree there. With non-offset rockers, a little chamber work, and no epoxy the rpms cam get 290-300cfm. With the Indybrocks and offset arm you can add a bit more than that. I dont see RHSs able to get that capacity In any way, shape, or form, and the guys that are paying for that level of performance are also worrying about weight on the nose.

1st we haven't seen a set of brians full balls to the wall ported rhs' so...
2nd....let me go ape sht porting on them and you'll see 300+.
if they are any better than a J head then they'll get 300's 'cfm' fo sho!

right on.

no one should feel bashed just because they have eddy heads and some of us prefer other heads.

I have that flow at .500 lift with J's.fwiw

it's called IRON, they use it in casting blocks , cranks and HEADS amoung other things..

"That's after porting!!!! Yes it's way too fast. Nothing can really be done about it, as I've opened it up about as much as possible. Tubing will only slow it maybe 10fps which is still too fast.
One thing...the intake helped it hold on to the flow up to .600.
And 327fps was at .550 lift, .500 was 308fps which is much better. "

These are Brians own words, in the original post on Moparts. He got a best of 280s on what he defined as heavily ported. Here are his numbers:
"
Before After
Int. Ex. Int. Ex.
100 70 58 70 60
200 134 110 137 116
300 178 150 201 155
400 225 178 250 183
500 247 188 279 198
550 246 191 281 203

Ex. was flowed with a 1 3/4 pipe both before and after.
I did no port work to the actual ex. port at all! All seat and slight bowl work and no chamber work.

I didn't really sink them much, only .025 so I'd say maybe .75 cc.

Before flow #'s were with stock Magnum valves, and a backcut on the intake."

So again, with his skill (which I dont have and admire) he can't get the airspeed down with the flow maxed at 280. Edelbrocks reach this same level pretty easily (call it stage 2 1/2) and can go further with care. Again I say, RHS are good heads, but the budget race engine holy grail they simply are not, and Brian notes that.

hammer in thick 'LA inner diameter' tubes and grind'em out.

with guys spending $2400 on eddy's, just know you could have gone W2 and been miles ahead on a stroker build.

but maybe we're forgetting the point here...that the rhs heads ootb r the best bang for the buck head out there for the 500hp range.

These are Brians own words, in the original post on Moparts. He got a best of 280s on what he defined as Heavily ported. Here are his numbers:
"
Before After
Int. Ex. Int. Ex.
100 70 58 70 60
200 134 110 137 116
300 178 150 201 155
400 225 178 250 183
500 247 188 279 198
550 246 191 281 203

Hmmm...my LIGHTLY ported edelbrocks flow similar numbers,and have a lot more left in them for improvement,and weight 50lbs LESS..

Hmmm...my LIGHTLY ported edelbrocks flow similar numbers,and have a lot more left in them for improvement,and weight 50lbs LESS..
Wow. Give yourself a gold star. I'd hazard a guess that you've also got easily $800 more invested in those heads. If everyone had the same priorities, there'd be no market for variety. You're very happy with your heads, and that's great. This thread is about the RHS heads.

I'm leaning very heavily toward running a set of these when the time comes. They've got bang-for-the-buck in spades.

Not on my bench. My street port eddy's are damn good and will support 500HP and don't flow those #'s.
But flow is not EVERYTHING and is especially misleading when choosing the right head.
Being that the eddy head and the RHS head are stock replacement peformance heads, I'd say for the price the RHS will make more power and has better parts by far.
The eddy heads have more potential when ported. Probably 30HP more in a 410 build or high compression build.

These heads I'm selling are meant to give sb mopar guys what they've longed for a good many years...power, reliability, and low cost.

And hopefully in the near future there will be a nice variance of this head that will surpass the eddy head for power.
Yes the aluminum head is nice, and I prefer aluminum when building engines for power, but this head shows great pump gas toleration even when using over 10:1 as our 410 did.
Cruising in my car, in 3rd gear maybe 45mph I stabbed it a bunch of times and never heard any detonation. Plugs show no signs of any either. So the weight becomes the only negative that I can see, and the cost, HP, and parts should out weight that heavily for a anyone who needs a budget head and also would like some HP to go with it.

Just so everyone know's, I use eddy heads all the time and will continue to based on what my customers want. But I've been using this RHS head alot more now and my customers are very happy.

More humor from the ignorant, I only use the best, Mr. look-at-me... LOL

They aren't lightly ported and wouldn't go those number on Brians bench, I'd bet on it. Those are ryans stage III style port numbers IIRC. His stage IV numbers top out at about 293ish, right?

The thread pollution continues.

I don't know about the weight savings.......Drove my car today and I tell you what with the RHS Heads Brain put together for me,.....The front end of my car is VERY,VERY light. Tops the shocks out VERY easily to say the least! The car is Blazing Quick and this is no exaggeration. It gets down!!!
410 Cu, 10.20:1 Compression 34* total timing and it NEVER pings even if I dog it in 4th gear and stand on it........with 3.55 gears at that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All around great package......I put about 75 miles on it today and they were Rough ones, NO B.S, with no issues at all!!! I run the bageeeeberrrrrrs out of it!! Ohhhhhhhh and I am running 91 Pump fuel from Shell......

More humor from the ignorant, I only use the best, Mr. look-at-me... LOL

They aren't lightly ported and wouldn't go those number on Brians bench, I'd bet on it. Those are ryans stage III style port numbers IIRC. His stage IV numbers top out at about 293ish, right?

The thread pollution continues.

At this point, this is no longer an argument about what is better or more cost effective...even though we've already figured that one out.

Tell ya what this is about...

You remember when you bought your last cellphone....and you loved it because it was the best at the time and you felt all savvy and capable and whatever? A couple months later you see everyone and their grandma walking around with these DVD screen, MP3, intarwebz-capable phones that in your mind suddenly rendered your phone an impotent piece of ****. Then you see the commercial on TV..."only 200 dollars with a new plan!"..."hey wait...I payed 400 bucks for this freaking thing and I still need a case and car charger!!!!!"

I think everyone experiences that at some point, but eventually it passes and life goes on.

I don't know about the weight savings.......Drove my car today and I tell you what with the RHS Heads Brain put together for me,.....The front end of my car is VERY,VERY light. Tops the shocks out VERY easily to say the least! The car is Blazing Quick and this is no exaggeration. It gets down!!!
410 Cu, 10.20:1 Compression 34* total timing and it NEVER pings even if I dog it in 4th gear and stand on it........with 3.55 gears at that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All around great package......I put about 75 miles on it today and they were Rough ones, NO B.S, with no issues at all!!! I run the bageeeeberrrrrrs out of it!! Ohhhhhhhh and I am running 91 Pump fuel from Shell......

I do...about a 50lb difference may not mean anything to a street driven car but it does if you actually race your car...

I've had Ryan's "stage 3" heads not make 280 on other benches... And of course those are just bench numbers.

In terms of weight, not everyone is a drag racer. I build street engines primarilly. 50lbs on the nose of a road race car means not as flat in the corners and harder to brake going into the turn. For a street performance freak it means takig the off-ramp at 70 instead of 60 and not having to burn up brakes on the twisty hill roads I have around here. For drag racers... I know a bunch of class racers who use engines that go 500-600 runs with no attention and they'd give an arm to be able to move 50lbs to where it can help more. Especially for the suspension limited or tire limited guys, that can help a lot. Again, the right head for a given application. And for many, RHS won't be "it". For many others, they will replace RPMs and do a hell of a job.

-
Back