Sleeper car , what wheels !!! pics**

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
Hi Guys ! Since 2 years im building my 76 duster to be a nice sleeper ( more than 400 hp/440 tq) , 360 crate engine and verry light body shell 2 800 pounds ) , but i dont know what rims to buy ... ive think about mopar steelies or the regular weld wheels 5 spoke wheels ... im just scared that the mopar steelies are too heavy !!!And that the weld wheels doesnt fit the sleeper look at all !! but what to do !!

What do you guys think ! i want i nice set of rims , but light too !!! :)

Please give me your opinion !

Thx

CopiedeSANY0073.jpg

CopiedeSANY0067.jpg

If I wanted a "sleeper" look, I would go with steel wheels and "dog-dish" caps. But that hood scoop kind of lets everyone know there is more than an OE engine under the hood!

JMO, but your scoop doesn't fit the plain-jane sleeper look either. I think every car can use a little 'flash' from the wheels.
Check out the CenterLine wheels website for some nice light wheels - choose a simple pattern wheel.

yes its true that the scoop changes the look .. but its still a factory option and not a cowl induction or a air filter who goes out trought the hood ... but maybe i didnt said it right , i whant to bring a factory look but with a monster acceleration ! a little bit like the F.A.S.T Class !

I like the steelies with dog dish caps, they look like a plain janer with some flash or I would throw on some rims that you like, I like the look of slot rims, there light and look nice

100-1000.jpg

dsww.jpg

8174098636326.jpg

thats the look that i want , minus the cowl ind, hood , you dont see much plain jane white dusters with burgundy vynil roof pushing 500 hp!! next step is upgrade my engine to 400 to 500 hp

It looks like it is ready for paint??? i would think steel wheels with hubcaps would be ok, I dont know if anyone is gonna think your car is a sleeper though JMO.

Attachments

• rim.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,392
Sleeper implies a family car look. You know,fake woodgrain,luggage rack lol....

steelies. they arent all that heavy, the police wheels are a little heavier. all the light weight rims arent the strongest and bes tsuited for regular street driving. yeah everyone does it, but a pothole can jack them up pretty easy.

Imagine it is 1968 and you come up beside this new Coronet at a light.
Light blue, body color wheels and little hubcaps. Not even a radio in it.

68CoronetNew-1.jpg

Imagine your surprise when you get your a*$ handed to you.
More than a few people fell to the 375hp/440 light metallic blue cop car of my dad's. (My brother and I had already remove 18 inches of left exhaust pipe and put the left turndown back on at an angle so as not to heat up the gas tank.

Body colored steelies and dog dishes turn me on..
Curious.jpg

I say drag star or drag lites style wheel. Why:
When I see black or body color steel wheels, with the little 'dog dish' hub caps, I am immmediately suspicious, especially with any rubber out back.
Drag lites or drag stars are more of the norm these days.

Ironic that back in the days, the steelies were boring and Cragar's etc were for the HOT cars, where now, it is the opposite.

For true stealth, widen steel wheels with Duster hubcaps.

if ya want a true sleeper then lose the scoop and put full wheel covers on it.

used to be a bad *** 70 baby blue dart running around here with 14" wheels and full wheel covers on it. you wound never even look at the car twice. man that baby had a built 360 in it and really moved...

YA..sits a we bit high, but had to fit the 275/60-15s in there....when you see those out back and then hear the 3" pipes/ flowmasters, the sleeper attitude goes away pretty quick! haha

33714_113459778713240_100001476559604_98107_3369084_n.jpg

Well, it won't. This fantastic machine is every bit as slow as it looks.

But... Imagine if you will pulling up next to granny's more-door Mopar at a light and gettin' your tail whooped when the green shows itself. You'd lay a golden egg.

That's a sleeper.

-
Back