Smallest over flow catch???

-

JamesRR

Reaction score
Looking for a tiny cylinder type over flow for my 66 Barracuda. I had a catch that was HUGE and removed it because it hurt to look at. Im thinking of just running tall boy can.. haha. Anyone have a sweet small set up? Thanks

James

It's not small, but I installed a recirculating catch can inside the fender mounted on a bumper bracket. Takes up no valuable space and is out of sight. Can't see in the pic but the overflow hose from the rad connects to the bottom of the can with a section of hard line.

img0062.jpg

It's not small, but I installed a recirculating catch can inside the fender mounted on a bumper bracket. Takes up no valuable space and is out of sight. Can't see in the pic but the overflow hose from the rad connects to the bottom of the can with a section of hard line.

img0062.jpg

How does this system work? What is the top hose for? Thanks Im a cooling system noob.

The top hose acts as a vent/overflow for the catch catch can - nothing else. In the pic the end is just tucked out of the way.

For a recirculating system to work you need to have a recovery cap on the radiator. The only difference between a recovery and non-recovery cap is an extra rubber seal on the cap that seals against the radiator neck.

Modern cars use a recirculating system. Old, old cars just puked it out on the ground. A non recirculating can just collects boil-over and you have to manually drain them. Here, if the radiator pukes, it travels down the hose and into the can at the bottom. Later, when the system cools down, vacuum in the radiator draws the fluid back out of the can.

What cap are you using? Mine is def a newer cap. Would this suggest it recirculates?

It should have a rubber seal up in the cap as well as one down on the end of the spring loaded tip. Non-recovery caps only have the latter. 16 lb. cap is fairly standard.

images

There is a member here that has a very well designed cooling system, from what I can see of the pictures. He has purge lines (?) off of each head to rid the system of any trapped air. It looks very similar to the cooling system in my pickemtruck....

What I did with my 66 barracuda was put a small plastic bottle at the end of the radiator tubing and I used velcro to stick it to the back of the radiator support. It is hidden by the horns and I have never had a problem.

mine's pretty small, i'd have to look through my reciepts to figure out where i got it though.

Attachments

• 6-27-2011 048_1.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 198
  • may26,2012 032_1.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 186
I have a 22 inch radiater in a 67. I bought a small plastic bottle kit ( from Advance or the Zone, i forget ). Its full cold and full hot markings are perfect with this radiator.
A can that you can see into or is too small isn't much help in my opinion.

-
Back