Spare Motors...gotta have a couple.

-
Dental Dart finally showed up.....Help Tonya and I disassembled this block..Looks like it is going to machine shop....had not planned on it...but had a bolt break off while removing timing chain cover...I am not going to drill and tap this one...plus we will it hot tanked....everything looks good for an engine that has been sitting fo 30 yrs...bearing look good....since the block is going in...I am going to get the crank polished...So this kind of delays work on this engine for a few weeks....

WE are going to work on assembling the 360 that I put the crank in a couple of days ago...gotta file the rings......and then start knocking the pistons in....

20201218_122314_resized.jpg

It was a pleasure getting to go over today, thank you for having me. I already talked to the wife and I'm allowed to come over some more during the break. I'll bring the dart next time, promise, you can drive it and we can make jokes and laugh about how slow it is compared to all your cars.

Worked in the garage for a couple of hours...as it is cold outside...lol

finished cleaning the carbon off the 340TA pistons....stock oil pan...ugh...30 years of crud ....got it cleaned out...need to clean the outside of the pan....wanted to power wash it...but cold...LOL

The block is in the machine shop to get hot tanked...new cam bearing and getting the broken off block....crank to get polished....bell housing hot tanked...and flywheel surfaced.....

My battery for my ring cutter is still on a UPS truck in Arizona...been there for 4 days now....

Tomorrow?......

Still in the UPS truck? What the heck, they are delaying me from being able to come over and learn!

1. Looking at the weather forecast I dont see any freezing weather coming up ...I am going to drain water out of the engines...that are in the trailer.....Plus probably loosen up the rocker shafts....I dont see any racing upcoming.....dont take long to tighten up rocker shafts again....
I finally got my batteries for ring filer......now I gotta give them a day charge.....

With the expert help of DentalDart and my daughter Tonya we were able to get all the rings cut and pistons installed in the 360 today.....I had put 3 of the pistons in yesterday as I was bored.,,,I know who to blame if one of the even bank spins a bearing...lol
I did not check the deck height but just fingerling it....looks pretty close to zero since I gave them the right number this time.....will get that checked while doing the camshaft....

Tomorrow we should be able to get the camshaft installed and degreed and hopefully the oil pan....or maybe the timing chain cover first....as I gotta clean one up ...put a new seal and paint it....re
Pretty sure I am going with the Hughes 6064 as I have had good luck with that grind in a stock stroke 360.....

:welcome: for the spun bearing... :poke::D

Stock 360. You're full of jokes tonight. Must of gotten a good nap after all that hard work. I mainly was the supervisor and the question asker while present as you're like a dictionary of mopar and engines. You've probably forgotten more in 1 day than I know.

Its always a pleasure getting to come by. Hopefully I can make it out again before school starts back up on Monday.

I got the rod bolts torqued.....actually my daughter did them.....

We got the camshaft installed....a Hughes 6064 Flat Tappet...Looking for 104 degrees...got 104.5,,,,,good enough...and timing chain bolted on with new seal......
checked the deck height...everything within a few thousands...of zero deck......stock crank

Probably not doing anything tomorrow as I got baby sitting duty with grand kids..

Next adventure will be the oil pump and oil pan.......

20210101_121647_resized.jpg

Cleaned the cylinder heads that i am going to use....Had to repair a Heicoil on one head rocker pedestal......Will give them one more cleaning before they get placed on the motor....

The fun part was the rocker arms.....I still have some Crane aluminum rocker arms...but I ran out of the spacers that go between them. They measured .400 in width...I have .350 width spacers from another brand of rockers...I tried some other rocker stands ...but it was a cluster f......

I general use the billet hold downs from Mopar A Engine Billet Rocker Shaft Clamps / Hold Downs
So I ordered a set

Will look around to see if I can fit some Crane spacers....Hughes does not offer .400 spacers...I do have the .015 spacers I can add if needed...Will figure it out.....Nothing going anywhere soon..LOL

I see Hughes has .200 spacers....2 x .200 is ........400.....correct....
I will look thru my box of junk before I order them...make sure I am not buying stuff I dont need,...

I see Hughes has .200 spacers....2 x .200 is ........400.....correct....
I will look thru my box of junk before I order them...make sure I am not buying stuff I dont need,...

You may need them someday.... :poke:

At least you won't get a "contract" from your wifeif you buy them...

What is a wifeif? lol

Painted the block today.....made a mess....lol.....but it is orange....
cleaned the outside of the pan....got the oil pump on....poured some oil in it.......could not find a gasket for it..

got the pan on.....then cleaned the hell out of the deck.......and got a box of those Speedmaster head studs ready to go.....
break out a couple of mls head gaskets tomorrow too....and this thing will look like an engine...Will have to check the intake manifolds pile to see what is available...

my favorite machine shop called....my TA block is done....and then flywheel...crank ...etc.....

good timing as I can wrap up this 360 and move on to the most important engine i own

20210104_134219_resized.jpg

What is a wifeif? lol

Painted the block today.....made a mess....lol.....but it is orange....
cleaned the outside of the pan....got the oil pump on....poured some oil in it.......could not find a gasket for it..

got the pan on.....then cleaned the hell out of the deck.......and got a box of those Speedmaster head studs ready to go.....
break out a couple of mls head gaskets tomorrow too....and this thing will look like an engine...Will have to check the intake manifolds pile to see what is available...

my favorite machine shop called....my TA block is done....and then flywheel...crank ...etc.....

good timing as I can wrap up this 360 and move on to the most important engine i own

View attachment 1715664010

Looke good! Have you painted one purple yet?

I only do two colors.....orange and blue....lol...

and I got one painted black....but it has been a pain in the ***.

The Dentist came over and help......We got the eddy heads on the engine and torqued down...

I am waiting on some rocker shaft hold downs.....and went thru a big box of pushrods and could find the length i think i need...

I will get a couple of rockers together tomorrow and see what length I come up with...
I calculated the compression thing morning...and come up with 10.7 to 1.....
I know i have a holley SD intake...but probably would prefer the Eddy Victor 340....if my new TF intake works out ...probably going to have one available ...

End of the week and pushrods are suppose to be here tonight...according to Amazon...and rocker hold downs on Saturday according to USPS....so that is still on hold

70 340 AARCuda ....my daughter and I honed the cylinders....looks good...I need a warm day to pressure wash the block ...before starting on painting of the block....

Yesterday worked on motorhome,,,,,having an electrical problem.....we did find that the AC converter kept blowing its breaking....New one suppose to be here tonight also..

Today....the Dentist helped me remove a 273/904 from a 69 Dart earlier this week I think....finally got the engine and trans split apart....Friend wants the 273 for his nhra stockers....why....

And finally had a early 360/904 combo that has been under a tarp and needed to split them apart...got the block put away in the shipping container...live continues

Look at all the work I missed out on helping with.

Excited to see the AAR engine come together and to see what build you come up with for the next 360.

And this afternoon....I decided to work on the 73 340 Duster that has a 360 in it......as it had only run twice in the 15 months.....carb problem rear needle and seat was replaced a couple of weeks ago...then I just took a stab at the carb....and drove it....

Well...i could smell gas...and it was not my ***....I know the rear float was way too low....and I figured i have open the idle mix too much .....and it had been smoking out of the passenger side exhaust...I fixed that a couple of weeks ago...as the intake manifold bolts on that side were louse....tighten them up...no smoke..

I got the carb adjusted this afternoon....got the idle set....and then i see water ...lol....upper radiator hose had a hole in it....so off i go to get a radiator hose...two autozones later i got one plus a new 180 degree thermostat as the one I had in it was only 160...which i did not like.......got that all fixed and put some prestone antifreeze in it...now she is purring like a kitten....

Gotta go do a burnout.....lol...all through 1st gear...bang the tires in second....love that manual valve body....

And this afternoon....I decided to work on the 73 340 Duster that has a 360 in it......as it had only run twice in the 15 months.....carb problem rear needle and seat was replaced a couple of weeks ago...then I just took a stab at the carb....and drove it....

Well...i could smell gas...and it was not my ***....I know the rear float was way too low....and I figured i have open the idle mix too much .....and it had been smoking out of the passenger side exhaust...I fixed that a couple of weeks ago...as the intake manifold bolts on that side were louse....tighten them up...no smoke..

I got the carb adjusted this afternoon....got the idle set....and then i see water ...lol....upper radiator hose had a hole in it....so off i go to get a radiator hose...two autozones later i got one plus a new 180 degree thermostat as the one I had in it was only 160...which i did not like.......got that all fixed and put some prestone antifreeze in it...now she is purring like a kitten....

Gotta go do a burnout.....lol...all through 1st gear...bang the tires in second....love that manual valve body....

Thats the yellow one right? Thats a cool car. Should have snapped a picture of them together last time.

Next time I bring the dart over maybe you can look at my carb tune since you know how to do all that stuff... Ill take your advice and get a dp for it next time :)

Bored....so I got some pushrods and billet hold downs.....Getting down to the bottom of the barrow of crane rocker arms....I got eight blue and eight gold 1.5 out of the box...put the gold on the intakes...
But got a bunch of different adjuster sizes....So I ordered another box of new crane adjusters...Amazon says Thursday....
But I went ahead and put the rockers on the shafts and finger tight the bolts...my .350 spacers with a .015 spacer on each side works great..

I cleaned a Holley SD that I have....bead blasted it...and used a couple cans of brake cleaner...the brake cleaner puddled on the floor...and the SD had a fitting that I needed to remove from the bypass hole.....so i usually weld a big nut on to it....but i see the brake cleaner on the floor so I moved everything over....hit the nut/fitting with welder...and dam I have bomb fire on the garage floor ....flames going up 6 feet...got a bucket of water.....but the flames were not spreading so I let it burn itself out...lol

spare360.jpg

In the photo...look at the blue part of the hoist on the floor...you can see burn marks...lol

and my bucket

No engine work today.....Have a 69 Dart that is headed to the junk yard....Decided to remove any and all parts I could ever use...Have some very nice seats front and back...steering column ...gas pedal...all the chrome trim inside the car..front and rear door panels...kick panels...old 273 is going to friend..I am keeping the 904. Once I get it on the trailer I will drop the front K member and big block pattern disc brakes.

Alot of these parts are heading to a 71 Duster....
Found 70 cents under the seats...and under the back seat I found a brand new MSD Blaster 2 coil....

-
Back