Suspension Opinions?

-

ckj688

Reaction score
It's time to upgrade the suspension, I'm looking into getting "The Works" kit from Just Suspension and was wondering if anyone had any experience or testimonies with the setup. Aside from that kit, I was also looking at the Reilly's front end setup as well, for the money, which one is worth it? I'm aiming for an pretty stiff ride, not concerned with feeling bumps in the road, just a tight ride.

Thanks,
Craig

I recently replaced all the front suspension on my '72 Challenger with tubular UCA's and LCA's from CAP automotive, as well as adjustable aluminum strut rods and new 1.12" torsion bars from Firm Feel (FFI). The tubular UCA's and LCA's seem great, much lighter and stronger than the originals. I did have some issues with the t-bar cup being powdercoated, but was able to overcome that, just makes fitting the t-bars a little harder. You will want to know that as you increase the stiffness of the torsion bars you will lose ability to adjust the height of your car, or at least, the ability to lower it a whole bunch. The 1.12" bars are at 1 turn in on the t-bar adjusters at the moment, the the ride height is about stock. One option to avoid this loss of adjustability with the torsion bars is to go with Just Suspension's zero index bars, instead of the stock 30 degree indexed bars. Other than that, I haven't had any issues with mine...

Since you're getting The Works you're avoiding the worst part of the suspension IMO. The bushings are already pressed in. Simply swapping out the bushings tightens up the streering wonderfully. The polygraphite bushings even more so. The stuff I have bought from Just Suspension has been good and fits properly on the first go. I am changing the rear bar mounts on the Demon from the axle to the body. This lowers unsprung weight while improving ride and handling.

Got my suspension kit from ESPO springs and things. They seem to have good prices. The website is kinda weak, so you have to call em' up.

On my barracuda I just finished up the suspension. I went with the Mancini kit. Had to order the Idler and Pitman arms too. It worked great. The strutrods came from Just Suspension though as they have some heavy duty stuff. For the Superbee, I am yanking the whole works and already have Bill Reilly's setup ready to go in. A work of art it is.

I've heard that the polygraphite bushings used in the lower control arms squeak like a mad bat. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks for the input! Ive noticed ads for Pirate Jack's in a few Mopar magazines, are they a credible vendor?

After I installed mine, I saw the same sort of comment on the bushings, Mullinax95. I can see if the shells are cleaned up too much (i.e. marginally enlarged) there could be problems. Also, there would be problems if the trailing strut rods on the front end weren't cinched down tight. If it's squeaking like a mad bat, it's working in the ultrasonic frequency range. I personally haven't heard anything from mine.

After alot of shopping around, and past experience with other companys kits, I went with Just Suspension. I just installed my front end kit from JUST SUSPENSION, and believe them to be the superior front end rebuild kit........ NO SQUEAKS !! NONE !!! They only sell the urethane or poly (whatever you want to call it - it's not rubber), NO RUBBER kits. Also, they have the BIGGER tie rod ends included in the kit, INNER AND OUTER, both included in there kits, unlike some companys that ONLY include the outer tie rods, and charge extra for the inner. And they have the STAINLESS adjusting sleeves included in there kits. I believe THEY (JUST SUSPENSION) IS BY FAR THE SUPERIOR KIT in my opinion. Highly recommend them if your going to rebuild your front end.

I was just talking about front ends with a friend on Tuesday. He has a 73 cuda that he used a poly kit from PST. He does not like it and says the car drives different for some reason. He said that poly is junky ****! He said that a ball joint came completely apart. He is fixing up a 68 Dart for his wife and is going to use all rubber on this one.

WOW, there is some junk kits out there, and some Taiwon, japanese junk, never heard of a brand new ball joint coming apart, but I've seen some of the tie rods in some of the kits, they look like Dum Dum lolipops. So like I said, it's all about what you buy. Do your homework.. I've done 4 cars, 1 with rubber, (never again), and 3 with the upgrade and the difference is unbelievable , no comparison..and NO SQUEAKS at all now for 10 plus years, and just finished my '62 car. I did my one car with rubber about 16 years ago, and will be upgrading it as soon as I get the down time.

Im always surprised at how people think they need to upgrade the suspension on these cars.

Maybe my car is an odd ball, I don't know...

My 62,000 mile Formula S is tight, corners well, has very little body roll and is more than acceptable in stock form even on the E70-14s.

This coming from a guy that has had a BMW M3, 93 Mazda RX-7 (The twin turbo that would pull about 1g stock) and three Miatas.

All I have replace are the lower ball joints, rear springs (got rid of the SS springs), shocks, set the ride height to stock and had a good alignment done.

I have said this before but things like tubular control arms are nice to look at but you won't see much from them in normal street use.

-
Back