Things Change.. Butters is now getting a 392

-
I've been wanting to switch to a 3.55 and get rid of the slipping cone type sure grip. Based on cost alone, this is sure looking like an attractive option. Did you grab the u-joint flange off the driveshaft while you were at the junkyard?

I've been wanting to switch to a 3.55 and get rid of the slipping cone type sure grip. Based on cost alone, this is sure looking like an attractive option. Did you grab the u-joint flange off the driveshaft while you were at the junkyard?
I did grab it.. Just sawzalled the driveshaft off and left it attached. I'll take all of my pieces to Chuck Paterson and have him make me something up. He used to have a shop in Indy and built Nascar driveshafts. He's just a few miles from me now.. One of the few places that I don't have to drive an hour or more for.

I did see a few 3.55s but they were open diff. Most common is 3.73 LSD.. saw one 4.10 LSD. But, it's a few hundred bucks o change gears and another hundy to add new diff bearings, shims seals etc. I have a buddy that's good with gears.. so I won't be doing it lol. Hate gears... Hate Hate Hate

My buddy can't do my re-gear until later this week, so Ive been twiddling my thumbs this weekend. Decided to weld tabs on the housing for brake lines and work on my E brake setup.

I hacked the hooks off the Explorer cables and welded them to my existing cable ends. Also used the Explorer springs after cutting about an inch off. I reamed the housings just a fuzz for the cables to go into it, but thought they went in too far. Drilled out a 5/8 nut with a 5/8 bit and it seemed to be the perfect spacers. Cleaned things up, welded the nut to the Explorer housing and then drillsd/tap for a 1/4 20 set screw to lick it in. I think it'll be fine..

Still on a desperate search for 15" large pattern Rallyes. I may forced to use these ancient Cragers outta the scrap pile lol

Screenshot_20240331-182804_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240331-182814_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240331-182824_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240331-182836_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240331-182843_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240331-182854_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240331-182927_Gallery.jpg

20240331_161422.jpg

20240331_161223.jpg

If that's what you have to do to do burnouts, who cares!!:thumbsup:

My buddy can't do my re-gear until later this week, so Ive been twiddling my thumbs this weekend. Decided to weld tabs on the housing for brake lines and work on my E brake setup.

I hacked the hooks off the Explorer cables and welded them to my existing cable ends. Also used the Explorer springs after cutting about an inch off. I reamed the housings just a fuzz for the cables to go into it, but thought they went in too far. Drilled out a 5/8 nut with a 5/8 bit and it seemed to be the perfect spacers. Cleaned things up, welded the nut to the Explorer housing and then drillsd/tap for a 1/4 20 set screw to lick it in. I think it'll be fine..

Still on a desperate search for 15" large pattern Rallyes. I may forced to use these ancient Cragers outta the scrap pile lol

View attachment 1716229773

View attachment 1716229774

View attachment 1716229775

View attachment 1716229776

View attachment 1716229777

View attachment 1716229778

View attachment 1716229779

View attachment 1716229780

View attachment 1716229781

US wheel repops rally wheels. I ran a pair of their 15x8s a long time ago.

US Wheel - Chrysler Rallye (Series 667)

US wheel repops rally wheels. I ran a pair of their 15x8s a long time ago.

US Wheel - Chrysler Rallye (Series 667)
I saw those.. And a few others. They really get taxing by the time you buy wheels, centers and trim. Once I get the axle back in, I need to look at what's gonna be the best fit for the 8.8, since it's 1/2" narrower per side. Most of the aftermarket seems to be 4.5 bs.. Just a few uncertainties. I may be forced to ask one of "those" questions lol.

I saw those.. And a few others. They really get taxing by the time you buy wheels, centers and trim. Once I get the axle back in, I need to look at what's gonna be the best fit for the 8.8, since it's 1/2" narrower per side. Most of the aftermarket seems to be 4.5 bs.. Just a few uncertainties. I may be forced to ask one of "those" questions lol.
Oh man please don't. You seen talented enough to operate a straight edge and a ruler...

I went with the new ones because all the used ones I was coming across in my area were rusted bent garbage. Or the owner of the wheel wanted more than the repo, because you know, numbers matching wheel off a 1 of 3 hemi cuda convertible, yada yada....

Oh man please don't. You seen talented enough to operate a straight edge and a ruler...

I went with the new ones because all the used ones I was coming across in my area were rusted bent garbage. Or the owner of the wheel wanted more than the repo, because you know, numbers matching wheel off a 1 of 3 hemi cuda convertible, yada yada....
I've got 15x8s on Hoopty with 275/60s. I don't remember my backslacing but I think they're 4-1/4. I had them made with a specific back spacing and can't remember what it was. I may have to try a test fit on the Dart with one

Screenshot_20240401-110529_Gallery.jpg

Ecm and fuse panel done now and dded a junction block in the drivers side kick panel. Started laying things out in the engine bay. Won't take long there.. Added high/low ac pressure switch wiring in with headlight wiring, so it's all routed on left and then around front. Really cleaned house with the oem wiring. Just need to land some power to the buss bar and secure everything neatly now.

Adding the 90 TRX oil filter adapter created a bit of a lower hose challenge. I think I have a solid plan now. Just gonna have a few splices. Had get a 1.75 x 1.5 silicone 90 and a 1.5 x 1.5, trim and pivot to get out the front.. Should be good from here. Just need to trim up neater and add gates power grips (heat shrink clamps)

And at the end of the day, I had to set everything in place so I could state at it for several minutes..

View attachment 1716202541

View attachment 1716202542

View attachment 1716202543

View attachment 1716202544

View attachment 1716202545

View attachment 1716202546

View attachment 1716202547

View attachment 1716202548

View attachment 1716202549
Can you post a picture of how you mounted your remote oil filter?
Thanks
Pat Faley

Nice thing about Ford 8.8 is you can change the Traction Lok clutches with the differential kept in place in the housing. No need to disturb the backlash gear mesh setup. And you can shim the Traction Lok clutch packs tight to get more grip. I added an extra clutch on each side in the rear of my '88 fox body for extra lock up grip. And those rears are strong able to take a lot of abuse.

How soon before you drive this thing?
Should be a test drive this weekend. My buddy has been trying to make time for my gears and said he should be done Thursday. Works out.. Drive should be ready too. Slip it all together, bleed the brakes and see what happens.

Gonna borrow Hoopty wheels/tires. Gonna look goofy AF with red wheels and 3" white walls lol.

Screenshot_20240410-124530_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240410-124544_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240410-124714_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240410-124631_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240410-124655_Gallery.jpg

Disregard all this.. They fit!

I found a set of 15x6 or 6.5 locally with trim and centers and tires (unknown cond) The wheels themselves look ok.. good enough. But I began questioning whether they would fit, with my main concern being the center bore. So I started doing a little research.. I'm not sure about oem but all of the aftermarket Rallye wheels have a 2.75 center bore, so I assume oem is that as well. The 8.8 hub is 2.79. Since I'm still a bit undecided and torn between Rallyes or the American Racing VN501s.

Anyway, I brought my axle shafts in today and I'm gonna run over to a buddys shop in a bit and have him turn the wheel index down to allow for the 2.75 Rallye center. That way, no matter what direction I go, I'll always be able to run some kinda Mopar wheel, even if it's just a spare. I need to upgrade the front to disc at some point so maybe I'll just grab the Rallyes for now, sock away some cash and do a upgrade and wheels later. But I'd like to get this rear end in and see what kinda backspacing I have.. With the 8.8 being slightly narrower, I don't know what effect that will have. I dont know what the Rallye spacing is...

Last edited:
Stopped and picked wheels and then rear end today. Axles fit the wheels just fine. Need to decide which center caps I like better tho... I have an unmatched set and I don't like that.

20240411_181701.jpg

20240411_181706.jpg

20240411_181856.jpg

Just match them on the side. No one will notice. Lol.
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I like the ones you have on the front better.
I'd try it lol.. Fronts are SBP and are BBP tho

-
Back