Twin Turbo 1971 Scamp Project

-
Scamp Project UPDATE: Ok Tim and I finally got down to business today swapping the Supra oil pan on the engine and getting a reality check as to where the engine will really sit. There's a fine balance between low and back and low is winning as we have to clear the AC Compressor, Alternator, Steering gear, etc. With twin turbos this is a wide cube of an engine for sure!

We ditched the Speedway $19.99 Imported mounts for a pair of E46 BMW isolators as they just seem stronger and should be OK on the Slant 6 Pad locations. We set it at about 2 degrees angle and that should offset the pinion fine. Looks like the Toyota's Aisin 4 speed overdrive will fit in the tunnel without too much drama. We will report on that later.

Our goal is to keep K Member mods to minor notching and construct adapter mounts so that this swap can be duplicated in someone's garage without a major investment in thought.

Impressive is the engine's 8 bolt flexplate, bottom end and shear build quality. Hopefully we will have some brackets tomorrow to show you.

bandsaw%20%28Small%29.jpg

bmw%20mount1%20%28Small%29.jpg

bmw%20mount2%20%28Small%29.jpg

flexplate%20view%20%28Small%29.jpg

flexplate%20view%202%20%28Small%29.jpg

mockup%20fit%20for%20real%20%28Small%29.jpg

Firm Feel and 73' up linkage give way more clearance for the Supra oil pan. While the Firm Parts are a few hundred they provide a benefit you can "feel". The rare Toyota Crown oil pan is $600 before modding a turbo drain, (Toyota Crowns never had turbos), so here is one instance where procrastination pays off!
firmfeel%20%28Small%29.jpg

Thanks Denny! TIM (forced 340) and I got it figured it out! I think one of your K Members would certainly improve our setback and allow much more clearance for the accessories. We will call this the budget "Stage 1" build! ;) that employs the production K Member. While I doubt by some of the responses I've had on this forum that guys will be calling in numbers asking for a set of swap mounts and an exhaust pipe we never know do we? ;)

Tim stopped by after work and we got a little more on the passenger side mount bracket roughed in as well as a little K Member trimming, (I mean just a little), and moved her back another 1/2 inch. More measuring had us like right on with Ma Mopar pass side offset and the angles are pretty sweet.

Here's a few pics...

IMG_1686%20%28Small%29.jpg

IMG_1694%20%28Small%29.jpg

Today's work session. Scrapyard Six.

Ok,with both brackets tacked we yanked them out and Tim hit them with the MIG. As these "conversion" mounts bolt to the stock slant K motor pads with beefy BMW isolators we thought it best to use fairly thick material (1/4 and 5/16), with 7 gauge 1.5 x 2 tube to keep any flexing in check.

raw%20brackets%20pass%20welding%20%28Small%29.jpg

A little vertical band saw trimming makes them look a bit more professional

bracket%20trimming%20%28Small%29.jpg

Sanded and ready for paint.

trimmed%20mounts%20before%20paint%20%28Small%29.jpg

Painted and trimmed brackets.

mounts%20painted%20and%20trimmed%20%28Small%29.jpg

Nice and beefy BMW Inline 6 motor mounts.

BMW%20E46%20mounts%20%28Small%29.jpg

Driver's mount and bracket temporarily reinstalled installed on engine.

driver%27s%20bracket%20installed%20%28Small%29.jpg

Another mockup install shot.

interim%20install%20shot%20%28Small%29.jpg

Staged shot of Tim (forced 340), just doing nothing under the hood.

tim%20working%20on%20nothing%20%28Small%29.jpg

I want one pretty cool set up. I might stuff one in one of my valiants. I love the six and i will finish it. I have been thinking of doing a east meets west ride. I enjoyed my supras and mazdas i have had and thought they would be nice in a car i like.

I want one pretty cool set up. I might stuff one in one of my valiants. I love the six and i will finish it. I have been thinking of doing a east meets west ride. I enjoyed my supras and mazdas i have had and thought they would be nice in a car i like.

I will keep you in mind! Let me get ALL the bugs worked out!

Just got off the phone with Dick at Firmfeel. I was going to go Hotchkis but there is something to be said in supporting our specialty vendors who eat, breathe and sleep our Mopars. So Dick is putting together the suspension package in addition to their Fast Ratio pitman, idler and gear box. Dick: Show some love on the quote! ;)

Looks like their 1" Torsion Bars, Adjustable Uppers, Lower Arm Stiffening kit,
Road race rear springs, etc. Timmy, (forced 340) has a sweet method for homebrew subframe connectors so we will roll that way for that.

Looks like F/M Spindles as well. The only thing old with be the K Member.

I am ALL EARS for Rotors and Calipers guys. Keep in mind I'll be street driving on 15's or 16's but probably no bigger.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szk2siJHJ7o&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]2JZ turbo Toyota Corolla - YouTube[/ame]

this is for all of you HATERS!!!!!

That thing is scary. something so small shouldnt have so much power.

I do think that short wheelbase is a handful for sure! There are many ways to go fast and 1/4 mile racing is just one of them. For me all of this stuff is cool. What I like to see is people from different countries and cultures doing what we think we own...going fast!

good job!...I like the direction....and the fab work.

thats what people say about my car, but it sure is fun!!!

But you have a wheel base. That corolla does not. My folks had one when i was little. Even at 7yrs old that car seemed tiny to me. lol

note: shame they don't have it still...it would've been my first car and project car. :banghead:

good job!...I like the direction....and the fab work.

Thanks Denny. At this point if we can pattern and duplicate the mounts about all you would need to do this swap at home is an air compressor and cutoff wheel or grinder to tweak a few spots on the K Member. Looks like a hole saw to hack in to coveted inner fenders for intercooler pipes as well. But that should be expected.

All that being said there are some compromises here as we'd like to have the engine set back another inch or so but keep watching as we plug away. No exotic tig welding yet.

i like it keep up the good work..post as many pics as possible even dbl post pics just to piss them off.lol :D:D

I'm Liking this build better than the 7MGTE Duster! This is pretty damn cool, keep it up!

and forced340. My buddy has a Corolla like that, I tried talking him into swapping a 2JZ, but he is deadset on running a janky POS 12A Rotary on Nitrous

I'm Liking this build better than the 7MGTE Duster! This is pretty damn cool, keep it up!

and forced340. My buddy has a Corolla like that, I tried talking him into swapping a 2JZ, but he is deadset on running a janky POS 12A Rotary on Nitrous

Here is ANOTHER guy that INSPIRES me! http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?88521-1968-Toyota-Crown-2JZ-GT40-Body-resto

The Duster is cool too! I was going to do a Turbo Ecotec and try to shoot for 30 mpg but my love of smooth inline sixes pushed me to go through the pain here! All things considered if you want a 1,000 hp A Body just buy Tim's car; it's a bargain for what he wants! This is a TOTAL street car build and we really don't care about ET's as much as we build a good car that functions really well as a driver. If I can't drive it across the country then I screwed it up! After we get it running we will see if we can speed it up!

ok ill be honest when i first saw this i was thinking your a homo rofl (i have gay friends not a bigot) but now it looks pretty cool even though id never do it got to give you congrats cant wait to see it done

Here is ANOTHER guy that INSPIRES me! http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?88521-1968-Toyota-Crown-2JZ-GT40-Body-resto

The Duster is cool too! I was going to do a Turbo Ecotec and try to shoot for 30 mpg but my love of smooth inline sixes pushed me to go through the pain here! All things considered if you want a 1,000 hp A Body just buy Tim's car; it's a bargain for what he wants! This is a TOTAL street car build and we really don't care about ET's as much as we build a good car that functions really well as a driver. If I can't drive it across the country then I screwed it up! After we get it running we will see if we can speed it up!
That's frickin cool!

ok ill be honest when i first saw this i was thinking your a homo rofl (i have gay friends not a bigot) but now it looks pretty cool even though id never do it got to give you congrats cant wait to see it done

Think of it as just another twist on our cars. My daughter has a super clean /6 car that we drive around and I liked it so much I thought, why not build a 3 season driver that runs decent in the 1/4 mile, gets 24-25 mpg and can be made to handle pretty good with today's technology.

Think bang for the buck with an open mind because you COULD tweak an existing 318 car to do similar things without the swap hassles for way less cash. There are lots of arguably "better" ways to go here. But I thought let's stick with an inline six, (they are butter smooth), and let's get one of the best ones in the world.

If you could buy a set of swap mounts, head pipe, and custom driveshaft for an 8.75 for $1,400 or so now that would make it easy for somebody else to build this car in their garage with hand tools.

Let's see how well it runs and drives. Stay tuned and thanks for your support!

I like it... LOTS... keep up the good work, nothing beats boost.

JOE

-
Back