Unpopular opinion. I'm so frustrated I hate car shows/cruises.

-
I like checking out the bodywork, there's always a car with a great repaint but the doors and fenders aren't adjusted and lined up properly...I never harass the owner about it though I keep it to myself...:)

Our local cruise in up town shares Tuesday evening every other week with a town about 20 miles away. We have a turnout of about 50 cars, and there’s always new ones coming because it’s laid back. If you want to go to the other town, the cruise over there is nice, and they get different cars because of their location. I always see friends at both and always have a good time.

Next town over from us has a nice stage at the millpond downtown, and every Sunday they shut down the streets, have a street fair and car show along the millpond, and there’s always a good band there. About 120 cars go every week, and it’s a destination with entertainment for the whole family.

Other than that, I just drive my cars, and my bike, whenever I’m going somewhere. Up to the Hardware? Taking the Roadrunner! I’m working on a boundary issue at my MIL’s house, need to drop off or pick up paperwork and it’s nice out, I take the convertible. Need to do a lot of running around, I take the bike. I would rather wind the back roads and just enjoy the cars and the bike, I live in a beautiful part of the state, and there’s no shortage of fine cruising roads to enjoy.

4C7DB8E1-0C4C-4E91-BA0C-563BB99314DB.jpeg

I like checking out the bodywork, there's always a car with a great repaint but the doors and fenders aren't adjusted and lined up properly...I never harass the owner about it though I keep it to myself...:)

That stuff sticks out like a sore thumb to me. They came from the factory that way a lot of the time though.

Even worse that the misaligned panels to me is all the sand scratches, crap body work, and half azzed paint jobs.

That said, I keep my trap shut, unless I am paid to do an appraisal of the car.

That stuff sticks out like a sore thumb to me. They came from the factory that way a lot of the time though.

Even worse that the misaligned panels to me is all the sand scratches, crap body work, and half azzed paint jobs.

Good thing I take none of mne ever to show...you would chock on the sand scratches, the dirt in the paint, the misaligned panels, bad glass, rusty bumpers, cracked tires.... but I drove it there to be a SPECTATOR and maybe meet someone I care to spend time listening actually to what they have to say.

You would hate the dart Im doing now. Every panel patched ,painted with rustoleum. Its a beater because I like driving old cars. I would rather spend the cash on gas than body panels.

You complain about the people, you make fun of the people, you complain about the music, you complain about the cars, you complain about how fast they drive. Maybe this just isn't for you ?
You are right! If this is what this hobby has become it is not for me.

But many of the other comments on this lead me to believe it is likely the area and the population around here and my experiences would be better elsewhere.

I once offered to another member in Louisiana; we should meet up at different restaurants and eat our way across his state. If just the two of us showed up in our cars, it would be a show by itself! I swear it could be a thing anywhere/everywhere.

But “who is John Galt?”

Last edited:
You would hate the dart Im doing now. Every panel patched ,painted with rustoleum. Its a beater because I like driving old cars. I would rather spend the cash on gas than body panels.

No sir I appreciate old cars like that. What I don't like is seeing something that someone spent a lot of money on to have "restored" and my knowing they got screwed on the deal and they have no idea.

I would much rather buy a car that hasn't been worked on then one that has had a bunch of crap work done to it.

Your rustoleum would blast off easy peasy if I bought it and decided to paint it.

looks like fun to me.
It is, finally after 4 plus summers of sweating my nuts off every weekend and several nights after work. No carpet, no headliner, ratty interior, mild exhaust fumes, no radio, only comfort is the Dakota buckets, really surprised at how comfortable they are. I am considering selling it though, too many cars and not enough time or $$ to enjoy them.

i like going to shows to see the cars that i've worked on. usually i'm just a small part of a build so it's gratifying to see something i helped with out there on the grass with the hood up and the owner beaming like a proud parent. i always get a kick out of that.

walking the rows and checking out stuff is always neat. i don't really nit pick or generally say anything-- i couldn't care less how much HP whatever it is makes. i respect the numbers builds, but that's not my style. if i see something interesting or unique i'll ask some questions and maybe have a conversation. but if my bullshit detectors are going off, i just stroll away.

years ago i had one of my darts at a show and the guy next to me with some high zoot restored car had his feathers all ruffled because people were paying more attention to my raggedy assed 2dr post car with a 1-day paint job than his numbers matching whatever with accompanying placard and photo album. after he not so politely told me to "move my piece of ****" i respectfully told him to pound sand. it wasn't a judged show and he could move his precious into the adjoining space of his anal cavity along side his head. and then i wandered off to go get a churro.

these past few i've just been cooling it in the sawp. sell some of my accumulated junk, see some friends and jack a jaw, maybe take a wander and peep some cars and call it done.

it's hard to get the younger crowd into the hobby. when the price of admission is so high and the usual gate keeping bullshittery abounds it's a super turn off to a lot of folks.

You are right! If this is what this hobby has become it is not for me.

But many of the other comments on this lead me to believe it is likely the area and the population around here and my experiences would be better elsewhere.
You may be right. It could be a location thing. I've never seen or heard anyone "around here" complain or ***** about someone's car at a chow or cruise in. In fact, that'd never cross my mind to do, nor have I ever even thought of it until this thread.

This is your opinion and from what I read from you, I don't like much of what you post anyway.
Crying dolls have zero association with classic cars. 30" stuffed figures leaning against a bumper or fender? WTF ??
The Road Runner bird was in new car showrooms as a promotional gimmick for the car. It HAS a valid connection to these cars.
Like it or not, it is a legitimate part of the history of these cars.

that's wonderful. big road runner is still stupid, unoriginal and overdone. feelings are mutual on your useless posts.

I just walk away when I run into that
Sorry, I can’t walk away from my own car. I just tell them, you don’t like it? It offends you? Then walk away.
In addition to the engine comments, the mopar restoration Nazis are damn near unbearable.

Yes, I know my car isn't a numbers matching restoration. Move along if that bothers you. I don't need yet another asshole stopping by to tell me what they think I did wrong.

Problem was easily solved though- no more showing my car in any car shows.
That’s what it has come to for me. Unbearable nonsense and idiot comments that it just isn’t a cool place to be. Not even car meets.
Well, at least here in Florid it’s been just fine. Where I used to be, hell no, no thank you.

I like car shows and I like cruises, although it's been a long time since we had a car on the road. I learned a long time ago to ignore the "you should have" crowd. I do enjoy when my fleet car fender tag confuses the "know it alls" when they think our 440 A-body convertibles are original...

I like car shows and I like cruises, although it's been a long time since we had a car on the road. I learned a long time ago to ignore the "you should have" crowd. I do enjoy when my fleet car fender tag confuses the "know it alls" when they think our 440 A-body convertibles are original...
Funny tangent. When I built my last dart with a 440 I was selling it due to a new baby. I was told in the same day by tire kickers I should have kept it original with the 318, i should have swapped in a 340, and I should have swapped in a slant six. Each time my reply was it's for sale when you buy it you can swap in whatever you want.
That sent the tire kickers packing and saved a lot of time.

I'm not quite that old yet, I'm of the Gen-X flavor.
There are some car shows that I went to here in Utah that were pretty decent. Lot's of variety of age groups from oldin's to the youngin's that are in my youngest children's age range (6 - 11), I also have two stepsons 25 & 27 that are also really into cars. The olders likes classic & modern mopars. the younger is into fart-piped imports.

That said, I agree with you @HankRearden some of the other car shows I went to had the restoration purists that irritated the hell of of me.
"How come it's not original?" - "Because it was a Slant-6 low-end optioned package. It now has a "package", ok?"
"Why is the suspension all aftermarket?" - "Because this is a restomod, I want to drive this thing and I want it to handle."
"Why 17 inch rims?" - "Why, because I like it, and I like modern performance tires. Have you seen the selections for 15 inch tires in the 255 - 275 width range?" IMO 17's and some 18's can be still tastefully done.

Sometimes I go to cruises, but most times I am just going for a drive. I take my dart everywhere with me, so I enjoy it regularly. Unfortunately, the cars are way too expensive for the younger kids to even get into nowadays. They can pick up an import or a mini truck cheaper to work on. Honestly, I don't care what they bring as long as they are putting some work and passion into it, and it is keeping them busy. As for the older crowd, some are set in their ways, and they are purists. Their opinion is things should be kept as they were when it comes to the cars. To me that is what makes it unique, some people add a twist in the restorations, while others like to keep it original with matching numbers.

When I go to a show and the voting ballots have a stock class and modified class and if I decide to fill out my ballot, then I will vote stock in that class, custom stuff eliminates my vote. Modified class then vote what I feel is a cool car

My Dart was in primer for years I got tired of looking at it and took it down to metal for a repaint /resto. There have been times where i thought " I should have left it in primer and just drove it..." but too late to go back now. I will say this a holes are abound but when I go to a show I usually see something cool or talk to at least 1 cool person that makes it worth it . Not everyone is cool that's just life in fact there are more a holes now than ever and its for many reasons... people are on the internet too much and that makes them experts on everything, no one needs to be schooled on their car that they've owned for years...I took my car completely apart and reassembled it I'm pretty sure I could tell anyone how a 70 dart is put together but, Ill stand there and humor the guy for a few seconds when he tries then politely say " thanks " and walk away...it takes alot I know but at the end of the day its your car not theirs...try this on a Saturday say to yourself "am I in the mood for a car show...?" if not do something else sometimes Ill hang in the garage on Saturday and detail things or work on something the car is there Im still enjoying it...sometimes maybe you just need to be away from people is all...

My Dart was in primer for years I got tired of looking at it and took it down to metal for a repaint /resto. There have been times where i thought " I should have left it in primer and just drove it..." but too late to go back now. I will say this a holes are abound but when I go to a show I usually see something cool or talk to at least 1 cool person that makes it worth it . Not everyone is cool that's just life in fact there are more a holes now than ever and its for many reasons... people are on the internet too much and that makes them experts on everything, no one needs to be schooled on their car that they've owned for years...I took my car completely apart and reassembled it I'm pretty sure I could tell anyone how a 70 dart is put together but, Ill stand there and humor the guy for a few seconds when he tries then politely say " thanks " and walk away...it takes alot I know but at the end of the day its your car not theirs...try this on a Saturday say to yourself "am I in the mood for a car show...?" if not do something else sometimes Ill hang in the garage on Saturday and detail things or work on something the car is there Im still enjoying it...sometimes maybe you just need to be away from people is all...
Unfortunately the question am I in the mood for a car show is all too often synonymous with am I able to tolerate multiple dipshits today.

have a slightly different opinion of one of the "Hot Rod" type pro touring cars we see at the shows. yup, it's a Camaro with an LS engine...but I actually saw and heard it going down the road today on my way to work! I don't think he was heading for the local Friday nite show; he'd a been 8 hours to early. give a nod or thumbs up, at least it was being driven.

My buddy and I are a couple of those grumpy older guys. We are both in our 60's and sit behind our cars sipping a couple of cold ones and usually listening to our own music. We're friendly to anyone who wants to talk or ask questions. I always ask the kids if they want to sit in the car if they show any interest in it. We drive and work on our own cars as much as possible.

That being said, a couple of weeks ago we were at an Eagle's Lodge show (I know, old guys) and some young guy (40's) is pouring all over my car, really giving it the once over. He strolls to the back of my car and says "Your valve cover is leaking onto your intake". He didn't like my response...

View attachment 1716128934
I'm off topic. But really love the way your rear rallys fill back of that awesome duster. Can you please share backspace and are they 15x8's? Thank you.

-
Back