Unpopular opinion. I'm so frustrated I hate car shows/cruises.

-
Everyone's different, and it depends on where you live. I speak to older guys at shows and hear some good stories. Everyone's got an opinion, but I never listened to the naysayers even when I was a kid. I just do what I enjoy.

I go to cruise nights/shows and enjoy bull shitting with people about my car, and/or their car when they were young, or their current ride. Yep, I walk around to look at what's there, and then sit behind mine to converse with other human beings. Sometimes they're full of it, and have no idea what their talking about, sometimes they are very knowledgeable about cars, or life in general. I drive mine, with a few friends with their cars, to shows sometimes 40/50 miles away to do the same thing with new people. I like talking with strangers about some part of my life (cars) or their life (whatever). When I run into a relativity young guy with a classic I especially like to get into their heads to see how they got into the hobby. Each to his own I guess. Also, I couldn't care less about a trophy, I love my car, don't care who doesn't. :)

Last edited:
I've gotten back into going to car cruises/shows the last few years because my kid was getting old enough to drive and I figured if I could get him interested in cars instead of video games it would be a positive. But damn these are miserable experiences(at least in my area).
It is always the same crap. No one actually drives these things. They putter into the show area way slower than normal traffic. Sadly most of the participants seem to be on a day pass from the retirement home. They are better versed at discussing which adult diaper is more comfortable than what they enjoy about cars. I was at a "cruise" a few weeks ago that was poorly attended because it rained(guess these things don't have windshield wipers) and a geriatric gentleman had to be ambulanced away after he collapsed on the concrete.
Meanwhile there was a crowd of other incoherent geriatrics who saw fit to surround the man while offering no assistance. It took a youngish retiree to think to call the ambulance and my 17 year old to decide to support the mans head and neck and check his blood sugar while waiting on the ambulance. Now before you get butt hurt and say Im busting on old people Im not. I grew up savoring every bit of information and life experience I could glean from my grandparents,great grandparents and their friends. Still today when going into a new job or work site I look for the guy with some grey in his beard first to get some insight into the situation.
What I hate is that being in the car hobby has become the rolling equivalent of sitting on a dead pecker bench at a mall.
I would rather see 1 kid passionate about their fart piped equipped rice rocket than see another hundred bitter 75 year olds that are no longer capable or interested in driving,maintaining or building cool stuff.
Did I mention that blaring surf rock serves only to make any of these gentlemen I try to engage with struggle to hear a damn thing let alone carry a conversation?

Why the hell cant we have other car related events?
Like miniature scale power tours where we maybe hit a few local landmarks and picnic.
Really anything beside standing around passing out and polishing non functioning knobs or chrome while we criticize the cars of others because they don't use the same wax?

How the hell am I supposes to convince a teenager that this hobby has any value when this is the representation?

Am I crazy? Am I the only one? Does everyone here over the age of 65 want to beat me to death with their cane?
Well, it's the car owner's business and no one else's HOW they drive their car and WHEN they drive it. That said, I know EXACTLY the type people you're talking about and I agree with you 100%, BUT, it's not just limited to "geriatrics". Lots of guys build monsters and drive them 45MPH. It's stupid, but that's their choice. I enjoy going to cruise ins. I share your disdain for car shows, though. Around here, all the Chevy people kinda sap some of the foun out of the car shows, because they're the majority, of course and they usually make up most of the judges, so you know who will the trophies and they usually do. Only every now and then does a Mopar get anything and it's pretty obvious it's always for "honorable mention" or "just because we caint have Chevys win everything". I don't let it ruin the fun for us though. That's why we don't go to shows.

Priming the next two generations.. worried about stone chips, who gives a ....?
20230514_155151.jpg

20230514_170014.jpg

20230514_175703.jpg

20220703_194123.jpg

20220703_194048.jpg

20220703_201825.jpg

20230514_155609.jpg

I used to do the show and shine, and cruise night things, they were fun for a while, got all of the same "you should have done" or "you shoudn't do" bullshit. Had one guy come right in my face and start beaking off at me for putting my car in a burnout contest! "Oh, that car is way too nice to do that to it, why would you ruin such a nice car?" This was immediately after I tore him a new asshole for leaning against the fender!

Where I live now there are far less cruise events and shows locally, often the bigger shows are an hour or more away, which is fine, we still go to a few, and we drive wherever we are going, I don't own a trailer, and I live by my signature line. Mostly I find that there is always something else that needs to be done and I just don't have the time lately to go to many shows. When I do, I go to look at the cars there, I no longer enter my junk in any shows, have no need of a cheap plastic trophy and I can leave when I feel like leaving.

Speaking of trophies, these are what our club has been giving out. License plate size with a vinyl face. We wanted something different. BFALODZ is for Buffalo Days car show we sponsored. MPRMAX is Mopar Maxx our yearly event at the local drag strip.

received_1210047046331708.jpeg

received_2237173339799603.jpeg

received_980333269637572.jpeg

Last edited:
I like to go to cars and coffee, car shows, Carlisle, etc when I have time which isn't very often. I like to look at all the other cars and a lot of ppl like seeing my car. Sure some bozos at car shows but I have met a lot of cool ppl too its a mix. If someone does not like my car or what I did to it who cares does not matter. Others are entitled to their own opinion don't worry about what other ppl think. If you don't enjoy car shows don't go simple.

Geez. I have restored a ‘53 Dodge B4B I have owned for 48 yrs. It’s a family member. I do not like driving it in cities - the risk is real.

I am in the final stages of working the gremlins out of our ‘67 Barracuda convertible. It will seldom venture into a city.

Just started on my late FIL’s ‘54 Chevy wagon. Another family member that will not venture into a city.

If I live long enough, I have a ‘70 Barracuda convertible and a ‘74 Barracuda. Odds are, they will see city driving.

We take our “restored” cars to local parades, car shows, cars & coffee, family events, etc. We walk around, admire others vehicles, discuss them among ourselves and keep negative opinions to ourselves.

I couldn’t care less about trophies. For me, my vehicles are “time machines.” The majority that look at my truck have never seen a flathead engine, a “stomp” starter, 3 on the tree, or so damn few options. How many of you, and your kids, know how to drive a 3 on the tree? I spend a lot of time discussing and educating. I am sure it will be that way with my other vehicles as they are finished.

Drove my truck to Luckenbach and stayed an extra hour so the tourists could take photos with my truck outside the General Store. It made their day.

I do as much of my own work as I can. I can appreciate the beauty of a Trailer Queen, but I don’t want one. Oh, I do like my folding chair.

And finally, the 50’s and surfer music can go away.

Last edited:
We had a DJ that used to play for FREE at our shows. He was a club member. His music of choice? The dreaded 50s "Doo-Wop", The Beach Boys" and not much from the 70s and later.
The club President was okay with it since he was born in the late 1940s.
I got complaints about the music quite frequently.
That club member passed on so we had to find someone new for the show. The new guy played stuff from the 60s through the 90s. MUCH better.

Before I had this Charger:

01 Gger.JPG

My cars ranged between driver quality and shiny painted but not show car quality. I went to car shows as a spectator only. The shows were always the multi-make events.

Right after the Charger was painted, I entered it in the Capital City Mopars show in Rancho Cordova in 2003. Since the interior was the last thing to do, I entered it in the "Under Construction" class.
I was quite happy to win 1st prize in the category. Before trophy presentation, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd winners are given a generic alert that they were picked for an award without stating the 1-2-3 status.
Another participant was PISSED that he wasn't even picked for the top 3. He started picking my car apart along with another car nearby. He had a 68 or 69 Barracuda with a rough paint job but a nice interior.
The rules stated that the cars in this class had to have at least ONE section of the car in unrestored condition. ALL of the cars in the class met that qualification.
This guy kept on bitching and even took it up with the club members. Just to shut this asshole up, they took some random trophy and tore the title plate off of it and handed it to him, calling it an "Honorable Mention" award.

I was so happy about winning, I joined the club at the next meeting. For many years, club members could NOT display their cars in the show for trophy competition since it was our own club members that judged the show. We didn't want people to think that member's cars got favorable treatment.

I've been to a lot of shows with the car and received a few awards but it isn't why I go. I rarely stay next to the car at the shows. I'm out looking at other stuff...swap meet, car corral, other cars, car buddies that I only see at the shows, etc.

My buddy and I are a couple of those grumpy older guys. We are both in our 60's and sit behind our cars sipping a couple of cold ones and usually listening to our own music. We're friendly to anyone who wants to talk or ask questions. I always ask the kids if they want to sit in the car if they show any interest in it. We drive and work on our own cars as much as possible.

That being said, a couple of weeks ago we were at an Eagle's Lodge show (I know, old guys) and some young guy (40's) is pouring all over my car, really giving it the once over. He strolls to the back of my car and says "Your valve cover is leaking onto your intake". He didn't like my response...

Eagles2023.jpg

I've gotten back into going to car cruises/shows the last few years because my kid was getting old enough to drive and I figured if I could get him interested in cars instead of video games it would be a positive. But damn these are miserable experiences(at least in my area).
It is always the same crap. No one actually drives these things. They putter into the show area way slower than normal traffic. Sadly most of the participants seem to be on a day pass from the retirement home. They are better versed at discussing which adult diaper is more comfortable than what they enjoy about cars. I was at a "cruise" a few weeks ago that was poorly attended because it rained(guess these things don't have windshield wipers) and a geriatric gentleman had to be ambulanced away after he collapsed on the concrete.
Meanwhile there was a crowd of other incoherent geriatrics who saw fit to surround the man while offering no assistance. It took a youngish retiree to think to call the ambulance and my 17 year old to decide to support the mans head and neck and check his blood sugar while waiting on the ambulance. Now before you get butt hurt and say Im busting on old people Im not. I grew up savoring every bit of information and life experience I could glean from my grandparents,great grandparents and their friends. Still today when going into a new job or work site I look for the guy with some grey in his beard first to get some insight into the situation.
What I hate is that being in the car hobby has become the rolling equivalent of sitting on a dead pecker bench at a mall.
I would rather see 1 kid passionate about their fart piped equipped rice rocket than see another hundred bitter 75 year olds that are no longer capable or interested in driving,maintaining or building cool stuff.
Did I mention that blaring surf rock serves only to make any of these gentlemen I try to engage with struggle to hear a damn thing let alone carry a conversation?

Like miniature scale power tours where we maybe hit a few local landmarks and picnic.
Really anything beside standing around passing out and polishing non functioning knobs or chrome while we criticize the cars of others because they don't use the same wax?

How the hell am I supposes to convince a teenager that this hobby has any value when this is the representation?

Am I crazy? Am I the only one? Does everyone here over the age of 65 want to beat me to death with their cane?
I live near the Villages, a huge retirement community here in Central FL.
There are frequent cars shows there
And they are all cars that only get driven to and from shows.

One day I asked a guy a question about the engine in his 68 Corvette.
He said " hell, I don't know anything the engine, I bought the car because it looked good"

Friggin pathetic !!

I use to love car cruises 15-20 years ago but lately it’s pretty much a similar experience. If I’m going to sit with the car all day I prefer the drag strip where I at least enjoy the damn thing. And it’s like minded people. The cruise seen has really diminished in my area. I think everyone died off…

I have felt the same way forever.... being in detroit there used to be constant car shows and cruises... and they are all boring as you can get. 40 years ago cruising gratiot and woodward was fun when it wasn't a police sponsored super event like they try to make every cruise now. Every year customers ask me about going to the dream cruise.. no way.. i went 1 time and will never deal with that again. Rather see cars at the track.

I prefer the coffee and cars events. They seem to have all types of cars and the younger crowd is a little more prevalent. Plus I can get some seat time and still get home before the heat beats me up. My car is not a “show car” but it grabs attention, folks love it or hate it. I also prefer the events out of town a bit. I love driving this Jalopy.

Cruises are more fun than cruise in's, which are more fun than car shows with judging and trophies. Rollin' into Clayton. Over on the Mississippi. A true test to 4 wheel drum/single master brakes.

Last edited:

The answer for you is to attend "under 40" car shows only!!

Out here in our rural county, once a month we have a cars and coffee. Pop. of the town is 800. Way more live outside the city limits, If 10-12 guys show its big. Good donuts and some decent old cars, mostly GM. I am , at 75 probably 20-30 years older then the rest. Maybe most guys my age died a few ago!? We have a pretty big show after it cools down out by a big lake. Pretty big for here and all kinds of cars and people. Good bar b q and tacos. The old guys drive in their cars and watch the girls. The younger guys do the same. But we are Texans.

Maybe you show move to Austin where there are no old guys, lots of yuppies but lots of cars and all younger types?? Just an idea.

At 75 I still build a few cars every year, hobble around, and when a knee blows out I text the wifeco to me pulll my *** back up/ I ain't complaining, all my friends my age are dead.

P.s In all my decades if life, I have never taken a car to be in the show. But I look at the cars and try to find a person worthy of my time to talk with, usually a younger guy that loves his car, built it himself, and generally does NOT have one of the "rare" ones. A guy full of pride and little ego.

Last edited:
Yes where in PA.
Although I have to agree on most of what was posted. I've seen fist fights over a piece of plastic award.
Yes I'm past the 65 club. I Like to go to a show to walk around and just look. Then take my car for a nice ride.
I'm in Pa also, I go to the cruise in my 86 Mustang convertible 5.0, me and the wife walk through check stuff out get a smoothie or sno cone then leave and go get lunch. I haven't ever actually shown my car because I don't want to sit there 5 plus hours, The old folks don't bother me much I usually strike up a conversation with them, I've ran into a few 70 year olds with new Corvettes or at the opposite end a 70 Cutlass with "750 Horsepower" I supppose the old folks don't bother me I'm in my 50s and on my way to being croggity myself. You do meet good people but not everyone ya meet will be cool you have to mingle...as a retired ASE master tech I dont wabt to argue auto mechanics with people but thats anywhere and anything peopel these days are so smart they want to "school you" I just cut out and move on. Its about nostalgia at this point and the cars were part of that scene in the old days...once its done its done...the old guys that were there in the 60s/70's are in some strange way keeping it going but that's just my $.02

I'll only do a "show" if its for a good cause. too many clubs or businesses trying to line their pockets these days. that professional parking is just torture. too many shows are just way too long too.

i prefer cruise nights. i pop in, check out some cars, bullshit some and head on my way.

I lost my Mopar mojo. I'm not interested much any more. I am the treasurer in a Mopar club and it has become a pain in the azz. Just sayin'
I think what happens is you join the club become a treasurer or some other officer and you get stuck there 10 or more years, no one steps up and says "Ill do it next year" its like volunteering they get your name and call you "are you coming out again this year..?" its like "aren't you supposed to put out feelers for new volunteers every so often...?"

Hank, take your kid to the track, lots more action. If you go to car shows, pull in, park, walk around and look at some cars and leave. It's more fun to drive

I use to love car cruises 15-20 years ago but lately it’s pretty much a similar experience. If I’m going to sit with the car all day I prefer the drag strip where I at least enjoy the damn thing. And it’s like minded people. The cruise seen has really diminished in my area. I think everyone died off…

I can understand if you don’t have a track nearby. I’m lucky enough to have 3 within an hour. If you go to a big dollar race (heads up or bracket) you will see cars that are cleaner than half the cars at shows.

IMG_3723.jpeg

Keep in mind people are miserable now post COVID I don't know why but I see it...its like yeah you are doing the car show like you always do but something is off or missing it isnt fun...

That being said, a couple of weeks ago we were at an Eagle's Lodge show (I know, old guys) and some young guy (40's) is pouring all over my car, really giving it the once over. He strolls to the back of my car and says "Your valve cover is leaking onto your intake". He didn't like my response...

View attachment 1716128934

Dang it, don't leave us hanging like that. What was your response???!!!

I learned a long time ago, car shows suck , more liars about what their car can do than anywhere.
Was a dragracer , and couldn`t stand their lies , on the strip one can prove or dis prove the b.s.

And NO , to the fartcan cars ...

-
Back