upper ball joint taker offer

-

duster wonder

National Guard Member
Reaction score
ok so 73 duster putting new bushings and ball joints.. is there any secrets to getting off the upper ball joint? allready tried heat and bar on the end of a monkey wrench

In the past I have seen people tack weld BJ in. Make sure this isn't the case. Also I've found that takeing the old one out is easier with the upper control arm still in the car. I have a big cresent wrench that I use. But other than that your on the right track.

i used the socket with a 3/4 inch breaker bar plus another 2 foot of pipe on top of that....

Yup. There are special sockets that are designed to fit them. They aren't too expensive.

A penetrant like PB Blaster helps. You'll need to place the arm upside down and remove the joints boot.

The right socket and a 1/2 impact. Never had a problem. I may be willing to rent out the sockets if anyone is interested, I have all the MOPAR balljoint sockets.

This is indeed the correct way to do the job!
Sockets aren't very expensive, 1/2 in impact is the right tool!

I don't want heat anywhere near my suspension components.

We are assuming you are asking how to remove the ball joint from the UCA and that you already disconnected the stud from the spindle.

I removed mine (65 Dart) using a big pipe wrench (~24" handle). I didn't have to pull excessively hard, it was just tough keeping it on the flats since the wrench was bit cocked. I soaked the threads in WD-40 first. Do it with the UCA still in the car since it would be hard to support it otherwise.

By the time I re-installed, I had bought the correct socket (early smaller one). I didn't want to mess up my newly painted UCA's. You might check your ball joint first. If it is still tight, you might just leave it in, regrease and install a new boot. I don't think the upper ball joint experiences much load, so shouldn't wear if you keep it greased.

i did check it plus the alignment guy rejected it haha.

got one side done now for the next just took a little heat key word little and bolted it part way to the frame with some pb blaster

-
Back