USPS Fail

-
Part of the problem is the buyer wants is shipped as cheap as possible

And sometimes it's the other way around. I recently bought something from a FABO member and he offered two shipping methods, USPS priority or USPS regular mail. I opted for the more expensive USPS priority knowing I would receive the item quicker, but also assuming (my error for that) that the item and its thin cardboard box would be packaged in a flat rate USPS priority shipping container that would provide more protection.
Well, the seller simply wrapped the items thin cardboard box with brown paper and shipped it. When the shipment arrived a couple of days ago the brown wrapping paper was torn and one end of the cardboard box was crushed and torn. Of course some of the contents were gone. The package was labled, "DAMAGED DUE TO POOR PACKAGING".
The package had been insured and the seller offered to check with the post office about making a claim but I haven't heard anything back yet. I guess it's time to rattle the sellers cage and see if I can get a reply.

And sometimes it's the other way around. I recently bought something from a FABO member and he offered two shipping methods, USPS priority or USPS regular mail. I opted for the more expensive USPS priority knowing I would receive the item quicker, but also assuming (my error for that) that the item and its thin cardboard box would be packaged in a flat rate USPS priority shipping container that would provide more protection.
Well, the seller simply wrapped the items thin cardboard box with brown paper and shipped it. When the shipment arrived a couple of days ago the brown wrapping paper was torn and one end of the cardboard box was crushed and torn. Of course some of the contents were gone. The package was labled, "DAMAGED DUE TO POOR PACKAGING".
The package had been insured and the seller offered to check with the post office about making a claim but I haven't heard anything back yet. I guess it's time to rattle the sellers cage and see if I can get a reply.
Generally speaking, a claim would not be paid due to improper packaging. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

And THAT is CHEAP! Canada post wont insure glass.
I received 1 broken bu lens from one member and then the parts from you that went to Germany lol, BUT landed here eventually.
Part of the problem is the buyer wants is shipped as cheap as possible, most don't even want to pay extra for insurance. I just shipped 3 door glass about 1200 miles to N MN in a crate I think a mail truck can run over.Like $83 to ship. Hope it makes it.

I paid $60 brokerage fees on a nice used aluminum intake recently. 45bucks USd

Edit, that's not right,The Manitoba government charged me 16.98 sales tax on the item and $37.60 was the brokerage on an item that was valued at 130.00 Canadian, for a total of 56.46C
It came shipping included, and nicely packaged, no damage whatsoever and UPS to Winnipeg, then out to my door.

Last edited:
NEVER had a problem with USPS. Cheap and slow is what I always request. 5.7 hemi and durwood recent recipients.

NEVER had a problem with USPS. Cheap and slow is what I always request. 5.7 hemi and durwood recent recipients.

I honestly just think it depends. I've had lots of good luck with USPS both shipping and receiving, but also bad luck.

I sent a bunch of stuff to HI in a medium flat rate box and when the buyer got it, there was a hole in the side and the fuel pump was miasing out of it. The box flaps were still taled up fine. Weird.

shipped 10 vintage shifter knobs threw usps and box arrived empty!! their insurance paid off full coverage of 50 bucks for 400 dollars worth of knobs!! the part that pissed me off could tell somebody opened the box, won't no accident!

Most incidents are due to poor packaging. I package delicate things to withstand all but a semi trampling it......
I once recieved a coffin bucket seat console that was shipped in abox 3X the size of console w/ no packing material.... Doh!
It showed up in 3 pieces...... luckily I took photos etc. proof of value. Got money back but huge PITA......

if you want to know if you were screwed by seller, ask for tracking number,USPS always give sender a receipt with tracking number and an auto amount of $50 insurance on shipping, if seller cant produce this number, it wouldnt UPSP that duped you

Lol. This dude had a tracking number and label. It's just odd.

I've had good and bad luck with each. What I cannot stand is when a third party is involved like DHL. Always slows it down.

I paid $60 brokerage fees on a nice used aluminum intake recently. 45bucks USd

Edit, that's not right,The Manitoba government charged me 16.98 sales tax on the item and $37.60 was the brokerage on an item that was valued at 130.00 Canadian, for a total of 56.46C
It came shipping included, and nicely packaged, no damage whatsoever and UPS to Winnipeg, then out to my door.
You guys need to figure out how to Customs clear stuff yourself...saves oodles....

When shipping trim, put it in a piece of PVC tube and glue plugs on the ends.
Overkill yes, but the part gets there and it is cheap to package.

shipped 10 vintage shifter knobs threw usps and box arrived empty!! their insurance paid off full coverage of 50 bucks for 400 dollars worth of knobs!! the part that pissed me off could tell somebody opened the box, won't no accident!

If $50 was 'full coverage,' the shipper was at fault there for not purchasing additional insurance totaling $400.

People are typically so uninformed about the hazards of shipping -- and how easily the companies avoid paying damage claims -- that I included explicit instructions on my website for customers shipping parts here. After beefing up the FAQ and directing more people to it, it's helped a LOT. But the occasional one still shows up in a too-small box with limited or no cushioning. I can fix that damage for you too ... but smarter packing saves you money and makes it faster to return finished parts.

I've shipped thousands of parts over the last 15 years through USPS without one problem. Nodda, zip, not one. I package stuff to survive a 6' drop.
Also ship larger, heavier parts with FedEx without any problems,
Quit using UPS 10 years ago. Slow and expensive.

As far as I'm concerned NONE of the delivery people can brag about service.

We "used to" have a great postal carrier. The new one either dumps **** on the front porch in plain view, and in the rain or snow, or refuses to toss it under the carport, same distance, and leaves a tag. So I have to go downtown and wast 2 days

FedEX has delivered signature packages, and so has UPS, and just dumped them. Lucky I got them. Years ago I bought a used Bogen tripod, and it was on the porch all of 20 minutes. (Email notification). I still think the driver was involved, we don't have much theft here

Back when I was active in amateur radio, UPS used to routinely "drop test" delicate amateur and test gear. I swear then had to have dropped/ thrown it off a 10 ft dock. One friend bought a Drake linear amplifier, and the power transformer had damn near broke through the back of the power supply

Drake L4-B power supply:
L4_PS_newcaps_lores.jpg

L4-B amp

L41.jpg

3-500Z a pair, triodes

3-500s_glowing.jpg

I have to laugh at everyone's dissing of the USPS. FedEx, DHL, and UPS all use the post office to move packages. In fact, FedEx and UPS are the post office's biggest customers. Amazon is 3rd. UPS and FedEx's business model is built around the USPS.
When I carried mail, we were never allowed to leave the office until UPS showed up. If we did, they would recall us to pick up parcels.
I highly doubt anyone at the P/O stole anyone's parts. At least not if you got an empty box. What likely happened is the part was poorly packed and fell into a sorter. At the end of the run, things are dug out. If they can match an item to a package they will. But most ends up in the recycling.
We "used to" have a great postal carrier. The new one either dumps **** on the front porch in plain view, and in the rain or snow, or refuses to toss it under the carport, same distance, and leaves a tag. So I have to go downtown and wast 2 days
Your old carrier likely retired. These new CCA's are paid $10hr and are hurried so bad it's unreal.
The sad truth is, you don't pay for home delivery. The F part of RFD means free. Postage is only from one post office to the next. I know people are going to argue this, but find the law that says you're guaranteed mail delivery to your home. You can't, because it dosen't exist. This was drummed into our heads pretty much every time a contract was due.

There was one time that I shipped some trim to 'O Canada. And the gentleman wanted our friends in the Federal Government to take it to the border. I had a UPS store wrap it then took it to USPS for shipping.

WOW! that is highway robbery, that's how I lost a set of O.E. 340 six pack carbs, a independent UPS, USPS, FedEx store packed them and UPS shipped them to me. I bought them and they had the correct date codes and a O.E. air cleaner that got smashed to hell and all 3 carbs got smashed as well. The box was round and taped to hell, parts were missing and the bowls were smashed as were the tops of all 3 carbs, the guy left the air cleaner studs in the carbs and they made punch marks deep in the main body's and to beat it all the guy only insured it for $200 and UPS said he had to file the claim because he paid for the insurance, but I paid for the insurance, they don't care so he filed the claim and they paid him $200 and he kept it. F#@K UPS I will never use them again, Ever!!

[Q

I have to laugh at everyone's dissing of the USPS.

The sad truth is, you don't pay for home delivery. .

Really? then why in the **** are we paying for all the God Damned postal carriers driving around in the little fake jeeps?

[Q

Really? then why in the **** are we paying for all the God Damned postal carriers driving around in the little fake jeeps?
You're not.
When did you ever get a bill from the Post Office for home delivery? Never.
Postage that you pay, is for a letter to go from one post office to the other. Home delivery is free of charge. Don't believe me, look up USPS USO. It outlines the P/O obligation of service. Which states the only obligation to service is that you have a reasonable access to postal service. In short, a P/O will be open during reasonable hours. There are in fact many towns/villages that do not have mail delivery.
Don't come back with tax dollars argument either. The Post Office takes no tax money to operate. In fact, the P/O is the 2nd largest revenue generator for the US Govt. The IRS is 1st.
So, sorry, you're not paying for carriers to drive around in fake jeeps. Never have.

Last edited:
If I were going to ship trim like that I sure wouldn't package it it cardboard boxes taped together. I'd package it in a length of PVC pipe with glued on ends. That should survive either USPS, UPS or FedEx.

AGREE with the pipe thing, schedule 20 pipe is pretty lite and cheap, especially A B S ..

-
Back