well my car got f'ed up. t boned!

-
Thats a very nice wagon. I hope the right thing is done and the guy who hit you pays his share to fix your car. But what ever you do please dont give up on your car, you dont see many of those any more and its very unique in a cool way. Good luck!

The skid marks show a minimum speed only if there is no collision. It is obvious by the "j-hook" at the end of his skid marks is where the impact happened and his speed went to near zero (due to impact) as he glanced off of you car. If you take a measurement of his car from the tread of the front left tire to the bumper, you can mark exactly where your car was at impact (measure from tip of "j-hook" and this is where the b-pillar was that caused his car to veer) . It appears to me his skid marks are straight but the road is curved. They begin well before the impact when you appeared to be directly in front of him as the road curved. It's obvious that he had room to curve around you on his side of the road without hitting you, but when he locked up his brakes, he slid straight into you out of control.

My thoughts, he was fartin' around, going too fast, not paying attention, he looked ahead, saw you coming around the curve and thinking you were in front of him he slammed on the brakes, lost control (locked wheels don't steer) and hit you. It is obvious you were not too far over from the photos..

Furthermore. it is TOO obvious that you were moving about 15 mph or maybe less as you only traveled about 10 feet after impact.

Even on a road with no speed limit a driver can still be charged with reckless endangerment.

You may want to look into your local traffic by-laws. Most jurisdictions have a law that states that if there is no posted speed limit, then the max is 30 mph. Or something like that. Also, it doesn't matter where an accident takes place, fault can always be placed. The cops are just making sure they don't get in any trouble by saying who is at fault. If you have any free legal counseling in your area, take your pictures and all measurements from the site and see what they have to say. It can't hurt.

Jack

yea ima look into getting a small claims going.i just came back from talking to the po's husband he looked at it and said his wife was in the tower and saw the car coming in and never saw it enter she was saying omg i think som1 hit my car!he said if it wasnt for the sub frame connecters he put in this car b4 i got it the car would be ruined no frame dmg he said when he looked under it. he told me like all u guys keep going with it so well i was at his work i got some screws and speeds nuts and put my speaker back in lol. it flew out of the cargo area wall on impact.

been on the phone all day with adjusters anyone know what a market value means and how they base that? local,national? them ppl are kinda gettin on my nerves they wont tell me anything.

Market value is what similar cars are selling for and it sounds to me if they are asking that they want to total it and give you little to none. Use the old add SSVP has posted in the early A section to show then a non driveable car is asking over a couple grand. Dont let them weasel out and only pay less than a grand. Your car is rare enough that you will have a hard time finding others with for sale adds to compare market value.

That sucks. I had a drunk hit my 46 Chevy pickup one night on the street and it ended up in the middle of my front yard. I stood firm with his insurance company and ended up with enough to buy a v-8 drive train, 2 good used rear fenders and a new repro. box. Hang in there.

been on the phone all day with adjusters anyone know what a market value means and how they base that? local,national? them ppl are kinda gettin on my nerves they wont tell me anything.

Dont take this the wrong way, but dont let them push you around! They want to settle asap, the quicker they settle the less it has cost them. I had a car write off that wasnt my fault, and I finally settled on their 4th offer!! They tried the route " oh there is rust on the rockers and the quarter panels" I said so what??? The f'n car hauls my 225 lbs of fat 1 1/2 hours each way to work every day. So find me a car similar to that and we will talk. Put the ball in their court, let them do cl, egag, kijiji, etc etc to find your EXACT car and get you a price. I hate insurance ****'s!! Now i am ranting, but did you know that if your car gets damaged, for whatever reason and all you do is call them to "see" about maybe having it fixed thru insurance, THAT IS A CLAIM!! Even if you decide to fix out of pocket, it is a claim. Oooooh I hate insurance adjusters!!

just found thius hope this aint current. also can u tell them u wont settle with what they give u or do u have a choice. also does my car having a 73 v8 up the value and what about the auto trans.?

1963 PLYMOUTH VALIANT 170-101hp (6cyl-1V) AT
#5 #4 #3 #2 #1
V200 2dr Convertible 800 2300 5300 7275 10775
Signet 2dr Convertible 875 2475 5725 7850 11625
Signet 2dr Hardtop 525 1550 3450 6575 9325
V100 2dr Sedan 400 1075 2525 4950 7025
V200 2dr Sedan 400 1100 2600 5100 7225
V200 4dr Sedan 525 1225 2500 4350 6550
V100 4dr Sedan 500 1200 2425 4225 6350
V200 4dr Wagon 600 1375 2825 4925 7400
V100 4dr Wagon 575 1350 2750 4775 7175

If they total it, you should be able to buy it back for 10% of the totaled value. It would require a "salvage title" and would probably be hard to insure, but make sure they look at the NADA and give you no less than average value.

valiant.jpg

well finished with my part so far tole both his and mine the story of the wreck. now i guess i just wait to hear from them soon. hopefully after last nights rain fall i found now its leaking water in the back seat floorboards.

will my v8 up the price? from the aluminum 225 slant six pushbutton?

Any upgrades you have done will increase the value. The correct way to determan the value is by comparables (like vehicles that are on the current market) so in your case you do a search for any dart wagon up to 66 and preferably ones with V8's. Try to find ones close to your zip code and if there are none look in 25 mile increments. A dart wagon is rare enough that you can just go nation wide and be fine. Try www.hankshelper.com and see what comes up.
Anyone that pulls out a NADA or Kelley Blue Book should get kicked in the balls, they will not hold up in court!

When they send the adjuster out have pics of the car of what it looked like before the crash and don't be afraid to let him know that dart wagons are a fairly rare car and that you have done alot of work to it and point out things. The adjuster if he is not a car guy will be used to doing bread and butter work like fascia, fender replacement on newer junk and not older stuff.

I have been looking at wagons for a while and when a V8 dart wagon shows up on Seattle craigslist they are usually around $5000-$6000.

Let the adjuster take a look and wait for their offer and remember that is what it is an offer, you don't have to accept it! If you feel that they are way off then you can have it appraised (any good appraiser will be able to tell whet it looked like before the crash). Ask what their reports contain and ask to see a copy of their report, if they are a "one page wonder" or their reports contain things like "In my opinion this car is worth this much just because" or they have nothing to back up their findings keep looking.

I have been doing auto appraisals for almost 13 years and my dad is one of the top guys in Washington state for custom and classic auto appraisals so I have a pretty good idea. :toothy10:

Go get three estimates and tell them you want it fixed and stick to your guns. a 2003 buick rearended my sons duster and they tried weasling out of fixing it. I told them they are lucky I wasnt also driving a 2003 buick so they will be saving a few thousand dollars. recieved a check about a week later and paid myself quite well to repair the duster to better than before. cry "classic" cry "rare" get a nice rendition of how it will look finished(you may use a pic of my car if you wish.....hey now makin it a two door might not be such a bad idea at this time, if you go that route pm me, I'll walk ya thru it....it's not all that hard....you should have enough money leftover after buying the parts to afford a decent paintjob and dinner on the town...but you need to do the labor part. Beware of getting it appraised...your not selling it your getting it fixed get estimates from quality body repair shops even if they quote it in primer only. two doors from a four door, a b piller and an outer rocker panel and the labor to replace those and the bodyrepair on the wheelwell should cover what you need and estimate for. the parts should be reasonabl priced or buy a parts car...

lol i wish i was talented enough for hardcore repair work the repair guy actually said the same thing about the 2 doors i like the conveinece of not leaning my seat forwqard for someone to get in. expecially with the camero seats. ima tell them im firm on no salvage title and them paying for it unless u got a clean vin for a 63 val wagon anyone? lol

Any upgrades you have done will increase the value. The correct way to determan the value is by comparables (like vehicles that are on the current market) so in your case you do a search for any dart wagon up to 66 and preferably ones with V8's. Try to find ones close to your zip code and if there are none look in 25 mile increments. A dart wagon is rare enough that you can just go nation wide and be fine. Try www.hankshelper.com and see what comes up.
Anyone that pulls out a NADA or Kelley Blue Book should get kicked in the balls, they will not hold up in court!

When they send the adjuster out have pics of the car of what it looked like before the crash and don't be afraid to let him know that dart wagons are a fairly rare car and that you have done alot of work to it and point out things. The adjuster if he is not a car guy will be used to doing bread and butter work like fascia, fender replacement on newer junk and not older stuff.

I have been looking at wagons for a while and when a V8 dart wagon shows up on Seattle craigslist they are usually around $5000-$6000.

Let the adjuster take a look and wait for their offer and remember that is what it is an offer, you don't have to accept it! If you feel that they are way off then you can have it appraised (any good appraiser will be able to tell whet it looked like before the crash). Ask what their reports contain and ask to see a copy of their report, if they are a "one page wonder" or their reports contain things like "In my opinion this car is worth this much just because" or they have nothing to back up their findings keep looking.

I have been doing auto appraisals for almost 13 years and my dad is one of the top guys in Washington state for custom and classic auto appraisals so I have a pretty good idea. :toothy10:

Your statement about kicking book users is kinda harsh. $5-6000 is right in line with the book value I showed for a /6. Albeit, book value might not hold in a court of law it's still a moderately good reference point for dealing with an insurance company. Especially since an insurance company will total a vehicle if the damaged value exceeds 80% of the value of the vehicle. Some insurance companies, like Hagerty, will insure the vehicle for a preset amount.

Also, upgrades don't always increase the value of a vehicle. Most insurance companies will not cover upgrades unless they are specifically spelled out in the policy declarations. If they're not covered, they will pay the amount to repair the vehicle to a condition similar to the way it left the factory. Insurance companies also have exclusions on parts, i.e. like kind and quality. This means that the parts don't have to be new or OEM as long as they are of OE quality and fit. In this case, a v-8 will have no bearing on the repair of the damage. It will only affect the outcome if the insurance company decides to total the vehicle.

63Valiant, you should be able to recover a considerable amount depending on your deductible and the way your policy is constructed. As far as water leaking into your vehicle and possibly causing more damage, it is your responsibility to mitigate damages by preventing them. Your insurance company will not cover those damages, so you need to get it into a garage or under a tarp. As for turning your vehicle into a 2-door, your insurance company will never go for that. That is something you'll have to work out with the repair facility or have your insurance company due a payout on the damages.

So sorry to hear about your car, sure hope you can get them to pay..Had the same thing happen to me years ago down there. Was heading to Samoa and some lady hit me in the 1/4 panel after she ran a stop sign..They claimed it as 25/75 % at fault. Must just be the way they run things down there..

ok, let me start out by saying I'm sorry that your car got cracked up, and I DO think the kid in the import was going too fast entering a tight "S" turn.

However - with that said, I'm going to have to be the lone dissenting voice and say that IMO, it looks like you DID cut the corner too sharp, and were clearly way too far over into the oncoming lane. In you pics - it's clear from the skid marks and debris pile, that you DID move your car from the point of impact. If you back your car up to the actual location of impact, you are defintely too far over and a good 10 or 12 feet from the edge of the road on YOUR side. Now, I do think the kid was going too fast, but I do think you have some accoutability in this as well - 50/50 sounds about right - sorry.

BTW, I would still pursue through the insurance companies - you have noting to lose. Also - doesn't much matter what the cop determines as far as resposibility goes - the insurance companies will ultimately make that determination - not the cops.

Good luck.

now, before I get flamed - take a close look at the one photo - you can see the faint white or yellow line marking the shoulder on the import-kid's side. His tire marks are TO THE RIGHT of that - meaning he was over in the shoulder to avoid hitting you. Now look at the actual point of impact - you were only a few feet away from that line ON HIS SIDE OF THE ROAD when you were hit.

furthermore - it's a little deceptive in the pics, but the gate on his side of the road comes out to the white line I just referred to - if he stayed on that shoulder to avoid hitting you, he would have gone right into that gate.

Danmc77,

I do believe the 'faint yellow line' is actually a crack in the pavement that is filled with local dirt that looks yellow when hit by sunlight. Notice that at the far end it is a faint yellow but closer to the camera it is dark where the sunlight is not shining on it.
And the ricer's side of the travel lane starts over at the large curb by the gate post.
And he was flying.

as i told the officer i may have been slightly in his lane but (and me and the officer had a dispute about this) what if... he was going at a safe controlled speed he would have had enought time to stop and slow down. and just to let u know the gate is a 1 car at a time i was though the gate way b4 he was there by looking at his skids.!

and the road has absolutly no lines down the road at all if u are seeing something its probbly the sand from about 5 ft away off the road somoa ca, is a big sandy island where the drag strip is.

-
Back