What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
Took my Barracuda on a 130 mile test & tune yesterday. Today I will change the power valve in the carburetor and put a softer spring in the vacuum secondary actuator. Have some cleanup to do and I will give the car its first bath since final assembly. Any time left and I will put a few more miles on it.
Tomorrow will be a 100 mile test & tune to check the carb work I do today. Indicators are good:)

Get all them Thumbs up'd for A Easter Sunday Cruise.. :)

Get all them Thumbs up'd for A Easter Sunday Cruise.. :)
So, gave the BC its first wash job since tune & test arrival. Put another 50 miles on it yesterday, going to put another 100+ on it today. I have close to 300 miles on the motor now and am tuning the fuel with my wide band gauge. I have it on the rich side now but am doing one or two things a day to get it back toward stoich without sacrificing performance. Below is a photo I took yesterday.

BC4-15.jpg

I took her out for about a 75 mile drive....ran like a top!
My little 318 runs awesome. ....
They were calling for rain, but it never rained....beautiful cool weather about 70 degrees....
Car was all shiny and polished....thumbs up all over the place
GREAT drive...loved every minute of it!

View attachment 1715031847

Jeff
Car looks great love colo!@!

Today, in preperation for installing my Dougs headers, I removed my 90* oil filter adapter and installed my oil filter relocation kit. Also changed the oil, 20w50 Royal Purple HPS. Hopefully doing that will have also eliminated the oil leak I have (I'll see over the next week or so after I clean the engine and hit a quarter car wash that costs more like $10). The old gasket was a real bear to scrape off and it took about an hour. Maybe I should take yoga or something. Next weekend, I will need to install my mini-starter, and I'll be ready to go.

Parts I needed to buy were;
Canton oil filter plate
Oil_filter_plate.jpg

Crown Automotive oil filter adapter connector
Oil_filter_adapter_nut.jpg

Summit oil filter relocation kit
Oil_filter_relocation_kit.jpg

Currently the oil filter is in a not-so-great spot for the length of hose I have. I may either get more hose, or re-locate the filter. not sure yet. It's hard to see, but the hose does not hit the exhaust manifold.

Remote oil filter.jpg

Last edited:
Holy crap....
It sucks having a garage as small as mine is and trying to build a car. Engine and trans are on pass side of car and I can wiggle between that and a 56 Merc, both cars pushed as far forward and I can wiggle behind the Merc, got a bit more room behind the Dart. It looks worse than it is with all the crap on my car, radiator and fans, 2 short exhaust pipes, the tote, carpet scraps and some empty boxes. Holy crap, it is that bad! Getting cleaned up next week, so I can build my Dart!

I put the engine back in on Sunday - the new fabricated valve covers hit the brake booster - OF COURSE THEY DO - grrr... :BangHead: - hard to tell from this pic - but trust me, they do...
103_4389.JPG

Finished connecting my emergency brake cables. Fired up the car and took it for its first drive, tested the emergency brakes and it still needs some adjusting.

It sucks having a garage as small as mine is and trying to build a car. Engine and trans are on pass side of car and I can wiggle between that and a 56 Merc, both cars pushed as far forward and I can wiggle behind the Merc, got a bit more room behind the Dart. It looks worse than it is with all the crap on my car, radiator and fans, 2 short exhaust pipes, the tote, carpet scraps and some empty boxes. Holy crap, it is that bad! Getting cleaned up next week, so I can build my Dart!
I feel for ya brother.....
At least you have a sweet ride under all of that!

Jeff

A body shop on my route that does good work has been a bit slow because of mild weather and the off season for deer hits. I took my 66 Dart in for some lower 1/4 panel and trunk floor extension work. I had the re-pop outer's and nice trunk floor extension take off's from a member here. The outer's came from Auto Body Specialties and they look like they they should work. We found out that the trunk floor extensions are 2" too short and both ends are a different shape than the originals. I wonder if they came from a Valiant. I ordered 67 extensions today. From what I have read, they are as close as you can get to original 66 parts. More to follow.

Got a new squeaking sound from what I thought was my new throughout bearing. Went under neath to see what was up and found one lower 833 bolt hanging almost out of the hole and the other one was finger tight. Both were stripped out of the bell housing and I could shove a quarter in the gap between the bell and the gearbox. I hate aluminum. So now I am waiting on the Heli-coil kits to come in the mail.

Got a new squeaking sound from what I thought was my new throughout bearing. Went under neath to see what was up and found one lower 833 bolt hanging almost out of the hole and the other one was finger tight. Both were stripped out of the bell housing and I could shove a quarter in the gap between the bell and the gearbox. I hate aluminum. So now I am waiting on the Heli-coil kits to come in the mail.
Doesn't sound fun.....ugh

Jeff

I retrieved the Dart from its Winter hibernation and brought it home today. No new leaks, no new unwanted sounds, just need to clean it up and start driving!

A body shop on my route that does good work has been a bit slow because of mild weather and the off season for deer hits. I took my 66 Dart in for some lower 1/4 panel and trunk floor extension work. I had the re-pop outer's and nice trunk floor extension take off's from a member here. The outer's came from Auto Body Specialties and they look like they they should work. We found out that the trunk floor extensions are 2" too short and both ends are a different shape than the originals. I wonder if they came from a Valiant. I ordered 67 extensions today. From what I have read, they are as close as you can get to original 66 parts. More to follow.
Yes the Valiant ones are shorter

Got the heat shield installed on the underside of the hood and got the hood hung back on the car. All the front sheet metal is just hanging there and needs to be bolted up & aligned.
Then it's all ready for final sand with 400 grit and paint!
Also had to do a water pump on my Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi.... not too bad but not what I wanted to do tonight!
IMG_20170419_153133008.jpg
IMG_20170419_171527285.jpg
IMG_20170419_184036104.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back