What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
Cleaning the 273 commando and applying epoxy primer in the engine compartment

Cleaning my Demon up thoroughly for a wedding in which to give the bride and groom a ride in because her dad once had a Demon. Because of weather I was canceled 2 hours before. Was just down to cleaning the last window when I got the call,
Yote

Cleaning my Demon up thoroughly for a wedding in which to give the bride and groom a ride in because her dad once had a Demon. Because of weather I was canceled 2 hours before. Was just down to cleaning the last window when I got the call,
Yote
That sucks. ..at least it's clean!

Jeff

I repaired the fuel tank fill tube grommet and returned the fuel tank to operational status.
I removed the Schumacher poly transmission mount and replaced it with a stock rubber transmission mount.
I have stock motor mounts to replace the Polylocks but looked like too much work today.
Tomorrow I adjust the valves and test drive the car. If it gets hot enough I will touch up the paint nicks.

Last week, drivers side window dropped; the plastic prong broke. The DS door has had issues since I bought the car: the thumb button sticks, lock cylinder didn't match the keys so could only lock the passenger side from the outside; the wing window adjuster at the bottom of the channel had broke off at the spot welds so it rattled at idle. Just stuff I lived with until my window went to full time A/C. Got the lock cylinder re-keyed earlier this week. Today I lubed the door mechanism, fixed the window, re-attached the adjuster to the window channel and threw on some left over Fat Mat Rattle Trap inside the door.

Was able to reattach the window to the slider using plastic plumbing parts from Lowes. They had a plastic bushing that had an OD exactly equal to to the window hole ID. Just had to cut the length to fit.
IMG_3996.JPG

Used #6-32 x 1/2" machine screws to attach the adjuster to the wing window channel. The screw heads are small enough to not interfere with the window.

Drilled out the spot welds; the bolt heads fit perfectly in the channel.
IMG_3995.JPG

Not a great pic; back side of the channel showing the nuts tightened down with Thread Locker.
IMG_3997.JPG

Today I adjusted the valves for the long run. Test drove the car and tested the fuel tank seal.
All good, tomorrow it goes to the muffler shop for corrections to the exhaust system. Good day, hope tomorrow works out.
Want to road trip it this coming weekend----------------------:)

Today I took my car to a car show and pulled a 4th place trophy out of the 28 cars in my class ('67-'69 Production cars, all makes and models)...

001.jpg

Trophy.jpg

I finally fixed my leak at my transmission lines to the radiator. ...
Bought this Harbor Freight double flare kit for $20

View attachment 1715049937
View attachment 1715049938

And these fittings...

View attachment 1715049940

My flares came out nice!

View attachment 1715049941

View attachment 1715049942

Best of all.....ZERO leaks under my car now!

Jeff

When I can rather than the threaded tooling I remove the arbors and use my press for flares. It will square them bad boys right up. The more flares you do the better they will look. HF for the win lol....

JW

When I can rather than the threaded tooling I remove the arbors and use my press for flares. It will square them bad boys right up. The more flares you do the better they will look. HF for the win lol....

JW
Good idea!
Yup....I had to do one of the flares upside down on my back....not fun!

Jeff

Finally installed my Schumacher Tachometer Mount. Super sturdy, quality piece.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

My buddies came over yesterday and we had a little test and tune sessions. I bet the neighbors loved us!
AdamampGary5-17_zpsfwgyn56r.jpg

yesterday - finished hooking up the exhaust and got the new smaller brake booster installed - save for the one brake line adapter I still need.. :BangHead: - pic is from 15min before I discovered the adapter issue - it was going SO well...
103_4549.JPG

Finally finished up the custom alternator bracket mock up and mini denso alternator setup. Started on this about a year ago. Been lazy i know lol. Actually was also mocking up the radiator, and hand making a fiberglass shroud too. Anyhoo, I finally put the balancer, and crank pulley back on my mock up engine, ran a clothes line rope around, marked it, measured it, and went down to my local vatozone. I had a feeling finding the correct length belt belt for this custom application was gonna suck. Thats why i put it off i think

The people there at my vatozone are pretty good. They know about my frankenstein, and are pretty good about my nutty assed parts needs. Well i measured my clothes line rope at 42" they hook me up with my power steering belt, and my 42" belt. Well it doesnt fit. Too short my bad. I go back get a 46" belt again my idea. Too long with adjustment run all the way out. Now i get smart, and use my tape measure like i should have in the first place. I get a measurement of 44" with the adjustment slot 1/3 of the way out, so i go back again. I tell em 44" yep, thats it a 44" belt. And whelp, whattaya know 44" it was.

Well now i bet i wont ever, ever, ever, forget that the alternator belt on this setup is 44"

20170528_205805.jpg

20170528_205837.jpg

20170528_205821.jpg

Last edited:
Finally finished up the custom alternator bracket mock up and mini denso alternator setup. Started on this about a year ago. Been lazy i know lol. Actually was also mocking up the radiator, and hand making a fiberglass shroud too. Anyhoo, I finally put the balancer, and crank pulley back on my mock up engine, ran a clothes line rope around, marked it, measured it, and went down to my local vatozone. I had a feeling finding the correct length belt belt for this custom application was gonna suck. Thats why i put it off i think

The people there at ny vatozone are pretty good. They know about my frankenstein, and are pretty good about my nutty assed parts needs. Well i measured my clothes line rope at 42" they hook me up with my power steering belt, and my 42" belt. Well it doesnt fit. Too short my bad. I go back get a 46" belt again my idea. Too long with adjustment run all the way out. Now i get smart, and use my tape measure like i should have in the first place. I get a measurement of 44" with the adjustment slot 1/3 of the way out, so i go back again. I tell em 44" yep, thats it a 44" belt. And whelp, whattaya know 44" it was.

Well now i bet i wont ever, ever, ever, forget that the alternator belt on this setup is 44"

View attachment 1715052150

View attachment 1715052151

View attachment 1715052152
Beautiful afternoon to work on my car. Got the driver's door lock fixed, changed the air cleaner to one that breaths a little better, and have removed the inner door handles to repair an repaint them. As well I've removed the C pillar emblems as well as the front emblem for repainting. Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon when you're a car guy!
working on the Valiant 05-28-17.jpg

I bought a pair of rebuilt 5.7L Hemi cylinder heads for $300 with a bunch of other miscellaneous parts like coils, wires etc. Guy had a receipt from the machine shop for a lot more for the work. Job went sour on him and got stuck with the heads. The 5.7 Hemi I just got had issues on both the heads. Be looking for more parts to complete it and put it in my Dart with a 4 speed behind it.

20170517_125443.jpg

Yesterday I gave my new Champion radiator a good test....
Drove down to the beach. ..up PCH, and back home. ...a good 120+ miles....
Radiator passed with flying colors and I had a great drive!

Jeff

I just installed the new JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 - 7" Round LED Headlights. I had to trim about an inch off the back of the headlight buckets since the profile of the lights won't allow them to fit.

I will adjust the lights later and get some more pics when it gets dark, both low and high beam. I will also try to find the review of these lights on youtube that really sold me on the product.
IMG_20170615_163537.jpg
IMG_20170615_165702.jpg
IMG_20170615_165419.jpg
IMG_20170615_165521.jpg

Very nice glad someone did it with picks I am getting a set they look good.
If you want the bit I trimmed off for a template, just PM me you address and I'll drop it in the mail for you.

Dremel with a metal cutting disk. I did not have time to clean the buckets up with the sand blaster at work. I just dressed the edges with a stone.

Although not as exciting as some posts, I got the correct colored plates, for 1968, registered to my 1968 Barracuda.

I have been wanting to do this for years. I had the yellow background with blue letter plates before. They were the mid 70s plates here in Oregon.

Now I'm just waiting for my tags to show up in the mail.

(Please no fear monger-ing, about posting a plate number because I don't care.)

IMG_0822.JPG

-
Back