What did I break?

-

Burban360

Reaction score
I've got a '68 Barracuda w/ 408SB, Auto, 8.75 rear with 3.91 & Detroit Locker. Last week at the track when I left the light I heard a loud bang and the car lost traction at around 60' and again when it hit 3rd gear. We limped through the lights and limped it home (about 8 mi) with it intermittently banging away in the rear. It also now only has left wheel drive. From what I hear, the Detroit Locker is virtually impossible to break so did I break an axle? I have yet to have the time to tear into it, afraid of what I'm going to find.

Something broke. Keep driving it and wait for the parts to fall out...

As tough as some things are said to be,they still arent unbreakable.
Hope its not too serious (expensive).

Something broke. Keep driving it and wait for the parts to fall out...

As tough as some things are said to be,they still arent unbreakable.
Hope its not too serious (expensive).
Haha! That's exactly what I'm afraid of...

There's only 2 things to do...........

1....Tear down the rear axle and see what's wrong
2.....Tear down the automatic and check the sprag for damage

There's only 2 things to do...........

1....Tear down the rear axle and see what's wrong
2.....Tear down the automatic and check the sprag for damage
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
do this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I busted a rear end and limped it home. It was fine if it went straight, around turns it was ugly ! If you limped it home 8 miles, man that's a tow bill you can put toward the rear.

I had the same thing happen with the axles that Yukon used to sell as "a body 8 3/4 large bolt pattern". They were too short and did not have enough engagement with some sure grips, the inboard end of the axle was sheared off. I too limped home with one wheel drive.....

You need to have a look in the diff, and if there was any shock loading (or unloading) you also need to inspect the sprag in the transmission.

I had the same thing happen with the axles that Yukon used to sell as "a body 8 3/4 large bolt pattern". They were too short and did not have enough engagement with some sure grips, the inboard end of the axle was sheared off. I too limped home with one wheel drive.....

You need to have a look in the diff, and if there was any shock loading (or unloading) you also need to inspect the sprag in the transmission.

I had the same thing happen to my yukon axles. Called up Dr Diff and he new all about the problem. He hooked me up with some single spline side gears and I'm still using the axles today.

I snapped the bearing retainer caps and spit the ring gear at the rear of the housing. Looked like Superman punched it from the back and left knuckle prints in it. 489 case, new gears, spool and bearings.
But oddly enough it sucked it back in and worked in reverse. Barely.
Got me off the track...:thumbsup:
"Where there's a will, there's a way"

Last edited:
Well, I finally had the time to dig into it and lo and behold it was a snapped axle. A first for everything I guess.
Anyway, new axles are here from Dr Diff and getting them installed this weekend.
Thanks for everybody's help and advice.
Hopefully we'll be back on the road next week!

IMG_5242.JPG

IMG_5248.JPG

-
Back