What do you think of this plug?

-

DadGum_Teen

Reaction score
Just seeing what I can change to get better performance/durability from the spark plugs :) They are Autolite 65's with the copper core. And not to long ago my tech instructor told me to trash the Autolites and get Champion because they were designed for Dodge. The whole thing started when he was making fun of a melted Autolite we found in a car haha.

Heres a picture, thanks for any advice.

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

I've always hated Champions regardless of what I was buying them for, and have used Autolite 65s in my 340 for as long as I can remember.

Just seeing what I can change to get better performance/durability from the spark plugs :) They are Autolite 65's

Autolites are now made in China = Junk.

my tech instructor told me to trash the Autolites and get Champion because they were designed for Dodge.

Your tech instructor is an idiot if he really believes this. Champions used to be okeh long ago; now (and for a lot of years now) they are low-quality garbage. Chrysler didn't buy them because they were specially "designed for Dodge", they bought them because they were cheap.

Don't waste money on high-cost gimmick plugs. Try NGK #ZFR5N extended-nose plug (used on many, many late-model Mopars if it makes your ignorant tech instructor feel all warm and fuzzy about them...or take a more realistic approach and just visually compare the materials and build quality of the NGK to that of the Autolite or Champion.) You'll need a smaller 5/8" plug wrench to install the ZFR5Ns compared to the larger 13/16" wrench used to remove the 65s.

I've sometimes though about switching to NGK, but the price draws me back some. But I think the topic went a different way then I wanted, I actually wanted to see if I should keep the same plug specs or if something looks wrong? Example, heat range, does it look good?

The color on the electrode is tan (I think) which is perfect, the black outer tells me you're burning a little (I said little) oil and ya Champion ain't what they used to be. I like NGK or Bosch.

The tannish color looks good to me tell your instructor he don't know ****..i wouldn't run champions in a lawn mower...

I never liked Champions as well and use Autolite 65s in all my vehicles.

If you have a Chilton's manual, look inside the back cover. There's usually a great little photographic troubleshooting chart there you can compare your plugs to.

nd not to long ago my tech instructor told me to trash the Autolites and get Champion because they were designed for Dodge.

your teacher is an idiot. mopars may have come with champions but they suck. non of my mopars every ran right with champions. i've run autolites for years with no problems..

champion as in albert champion ac delco now owned by gm well that should say it all would you buy a spark plug that the chevy boys make lol not me i bet they build the champion spark plug to make are mopars run bad

I like Autolites, NGK's and Bosch. They all make a good quality plug. I run autolites in my built 360 but I run 64's as I'm running a 10.2:1 CR with a very mild cam.

champion as in albert champion ac delco now owned by gm well that should say it all would you buy a spark plug that the chevy boys make lol not me i bet they build the champion spark plug to make are mopars run bad
A very interesting history lesson here:
Albert Champion was an early producer of spark plugs, lost his company due to problems with investors, and then started a company using his initials AC with the help of Buick Motor Company. Champion died in 1927 and GM bought all rights and stock of AC. Champion is owned by Federal Mogul and Champion plugs
have nothing to do with AC or GM. I have used Champions in Mopars since I began driving them in the late 60's and I have never had any problems with them. The reason Mopar put Champions in their engines is because they didn't own their own spark plug manufacturing company like Ford and GM did and the last thing you'd want to do is buy products from your competition. (back then, it's done a lot now)

I been using ngk v grooves, put a champion plug in a 2 stroke motor and see how far you get. chrysler has finnaly changed over to ngk plugs. champions just dont hold up like ngk

Yes, I also use spark plugs. Then I throw them away and buy more spark plugs when they need to be replaced. I dont prefer any particular spark plug, just one that sparks.
Spark plugs from china spark just as well as spark plugs from Iran, Australia, or here if they still make them here.

Gap them right, and use the proper heat range and brand is irrelevant.
They are consumables. You use them, then you throw them away.

I currently use NGK's in my drag car and work quite well. If I am looking for an inexpensive plug I buy Champions.

Champion is a Federal Mogul company and not owned by GM like stated earlier.

Chuck

Gap them right, and use the proper heat range and brand is irrelevant.
They are consumables. You use them, then you throw them away.

Glad you don't tune my engine..i've tried just about all that are out there and always come back to Autolites...

When i was wrenching way back .. Champions i installed only in Mopars ... NO luck in GM and Fords ( they would have a very short life > usually foul out ) ... Now AC and Autolite also worked well in Mopars .. If you compared reliability and quality between AC/CHAMPION/Autolite ... hands down .. Champion would be the looser .

i'd say you have a tad too much timing in the motor and if that black is soot, fuzzy and rubs off easy, your way rich. if it's oily and shiny then you are have oil intrusion from somewhere. valve guides, intake gasket or rings.

ah, yes ... i too have to chime in...i run champions in my lawn mower only, they suck. ran a high volume shop in florida for 15 yrs. I always used autolite, or ngk. never had a problem with them. the tan color on your electrode looks good, white would be better, but with all the additives in todays gas, tan is all your gonna get. right heat range plug, good air/ fuel mixture settings. leave it alone...

Ive always had good luck with Champs in my mopars. Autolites, motorcrafts, Delco's have all sucked. Of course my Duster hasnt ran since 2000. And yes, you dont want to put a champion in a two-stroke. It just won't make it. I use NGK in all my dirtbikes (CR500) and haven't had a problem yet. I would trust them in my mopar if needed.

I just haven't had a reason NOT to use Champs. I also use a Crane Fireball ignition so that may have helped cement the Champ brand. Oh, and thats only on a stock motor, nothing fancy.

E3s rock in my book. 5 yr. warranty, see if Auto? will match that! I burned a lot of carbon etc. for a couple hard take offs and now it's clean as a whistle and response is better, heck the plug sits 1/2 inch deeper than my old ones, and yes Slantsix Dan will say these are junk too, but he's never tried them, I have, they are awesome!

Don't waste money on high-cost gimmick plugs. Try NGK #ZFR5N extended-nose plug (used on many, many late-model Mopars if it makes your ignorant tech instructor feel all warm and fuzzy about them...or take a more realistic approach and just visually compare the materials and build quality of the NGK to that of the Autolite or Champion.) You'll need a smaller 5/8" plug wrench to install the ZFR5Ns compared to the larger 13/16" wrench used to remove the 65s.

I totally agree. Spark, being electricity, takes the path of least resistance to ground. Therefore it's not at all possible to fire those fancy multi ground electrode over priced spark plugs. If someone installed them and their car ran better it is only because, 1. it needed new plugs, or 2. they were a closer match in heat range and/or electrode depth to the engines requirements.

I have ran almost every plug made and have had the best luck with NGK's. Last long and don't foul easy. Best part is their cheap. They cost no more than Champions, AC's, or Autolites at the local auto parts store.

As far as the plug in question it looks like your running rich from the soot on the shell. Could be an overly zealous choke, rich idle, or rich at WOT.

Oh and I don't think this has been mentioned but your instructor is an idiot. LOL

-
Back