what to keep and what to sell. questions questions.

-

dartboy413

Reaction score
I will give you a list of what I'm getting in and you tell me what to keep if any and what to sell. All motors are unknown condtion all I know is they where stored inside. don't even know if there freed up. Buying pretty much sight unseen. Know that all motors are complete and unmolested (best of knowledge) all feedback is good feed back. All motor no trans. Here we go
92-94 magnum 360
75 360
69 318
Let the games begin.

Sell the magnum.
Keep the 360 and build that.
Keep the 318 for parts.

/thread.

lol, I always wanted to do that close thread thingy!!!

Sell LA's and keep /build the Magnum with a carb and a 4bbl intake.
you get roller lifters, better heads, water pump, 1.6 rockers and exhaust logs. .02¢

Sell them all and get a Ford 302. Put it in a Fox body Mustang. Your bank account will love you.

Buy them all and start a new thread.

Parts I'm thinking about selling.

From what I am reading, (little experiance wih sb motors) if it is a budget build, Magnum block (for ANY build, due to better iron in block, rollercam) EQ heads reworked, pick the rest for the manners you want. I understand the Magnum blocks can handle more hp than LA blocks? While not symple to do, the Magnum block could be used with LA heads, but it will take some work to do. That would open up a lot of head choices.

Last edited:
From what I am reading, (little experiance wih sb motors) if it is a budget build, Magnum block (for ANY build, due to better iron in block, rollercam) EQ heads reworked, pick the rest for the manners you want. I understand the Magnum blocks can handle more hp than LA blocks?
I know this may come as a shock to most but it's my first rebuild so I'm not sure about the HP. Kinda learning as I go gotta start some where am I right?

I know this may come as a shock to most but it's my first rebuild so I'm not sure about the HP. Kinda learning as I go gotta start some where am I right?
where abouts in Indiana are you?

From what I am reading, (little experiance wih sb motors) if it is a budget build, Magnum block (for ANY build, due to better iron in block, rollercam) EQ heads reworked, pick the rest for the manners you want. I understand the Magnum blocks can handle more hp than LA blocks? While not symple to do, the Magnum block could be used with LA heads, but it will take some work to do. That would open up a lot of head choices.

The magnum block is made of the same cast iron as the rest of the production engines.

I have talked to an engine builder (well known) friend, who stated, if i recall correctly, that a number of guys have found that 5.9 used motors had so little wear in them, they would use KB stock bore pistons, no overbore needed. I don't believe that is true with some of the earlier blocks? I will soon get a chance to look at a couple of them , I have a 5.9 Magnum build planned in a couple of months.

I have talked to an engine builder (well known) friend, who stated, if i recall correctly, that a number of guys have found that 5.9 used motors had so little wear in them, they would use KB stock bore pistons, no overbore needed. I don't believe that is true with some of the earlier blocks? I will soon get a chance to look at a couple of them , I have a 5.9 Magnum build planned in a couple of months.

It had nothing to do with the cast iron. Most of that was due to EFI.

The only blocks I've seen that were as hard as a hemi block or an aftermarket block was a V-10. The magnum is NOT any different that any other block.

If you have room to store them all, don't sell anything until after your engine is built.
Then keep any part that fits your motor, sell the rest.

Sell LA's and keep /build the Magnum with a carb and a 4bbl intake.
you get roller lifters, better heads, water pump, 1.6 rockers and exhaust logs. .02¢
I just read Pishta's response to what should be kept. I have a few 340's & 360's plus a few big block engines and am debating as to what I should keep and sell.
Have a few projects too, not enough space for everything, that's how it is in some parts here in OC California.

Last edited:
OC? Im in Tustin! Yeah, Id get a Crosswind/? intake that is dual pattern drilled for LA/Magnum and a 750 Holley. Nice thing about a roller is you can swap out cams without changing the lifters.
340's get the "oooh"s from the gawkers while the 360's get the "ahhhh"s from the drivers.

-
Back