Whats the most you spent on junk?

-
Im about to get a crazy looking scoop for my carb since its gonna be cheaper than sourcing a new hood.

Mine had a huge hole in the hood too, big velocity stack style air cleaner poking out, found a repop oe style scoop a while go to cover the damn hole, probably cheaper than another hood and I wanted the scoop anyway.

20190112_143817_HDR (1).jpg
20190112_143827 (1).jpg

What she looked like when I dragged her home. Sat like that in a field for about 8 years.

Last edited:
Mine had a huge hole in the hood too, big velocity stack style air cleaner poking out, found a repop oe style scoop a while go to cover the damn hole, probably cheaper than another hood and I wanted the scoop anyway.
I thought about that. Issue is the hole is off center because its mounted on a long ram manifold for the slant.

I was talking to a co-worker about our cars’ worth and a lady co-worker chimend in and said “ Your cars are only worth something if you sell them”

Spent $800 on a useless piece of junk for her dinner and birthday and she still broke up with me about a week later... :)

As far as cars go, I've gotten pretty lucky. In the past 3 years since I've owned my Dart it has mostly been a time pit. I have done my absolute best to make the most of what I have before I either decide A) I can't fix it. B) I just broke it. C) It was never going to work anyway. The stuff I have bought I usually find in some sort of package deal where I can sell off what I don't need and make most of my money back. Got about 5K total spent on my 2 cars but sold off about 2K of parts I was never going to need. All in all, 3K for 3 years of fun is one hell a deal in my eyes ($$$ spent on gas not included) lol

As far as cars go, I've gotten pretty lucky. In the past 3 years since I've owned my Dart it has mostly been a time pit. I have done my absolute best to make the most of what I have before I either decide A) I can't fix it. B) I just broke it. C) It was never going to work anyway. The stuff I have bought I usually find in some sort of package deal where I can sell off what I don't need and make most of my money back. Got about 5K total spent on my 2 cars but sold off about 2K of parts I was never going to need. All in all, 3K for 3 years of fun is one hell a deal in my eyes ($$$ spent on gas not included) lol
Time pit. Thats a new one.

the fact i spend a bunch of money on parts is besides the point. I gather, then at some point i get on it and get a bunch done. I do enjoy it, even though i pull wrenches every day for a living.

I would post about my 67 B'cuda vert project if this thread was titled "Who is the biggest idiot ?". The junk can leave here for about half the coin I have in it.

I frame offed a wrangler two years ago and looked the other day. I’ve driven it a little over 300 miles. Instead I’m dumping time and money into moredoors? What? Currently a 68 valiant with a 273...who does that?
But got hooked on these things after the 69 slant In The lemons rally
2-AB4-AD93-C2-E4-4186-A877-37473-BB09-E66.jpg

EDE0-F2-CA-64-DB-4-DFE-9016-0-BFD23-F05-DD8.jpg

I paid $2500 for a 74 Charger SE 318 sunroof car.

The seller failed to disclose that the frame rail above the K frame bolt was rusted out.
(and I'm sure he knew it)

I did use the bucket seats in my Satellite and have parted out just about $2000, so I am even, and still have parts left over, so I will eventually make money.

My 70' Barracuda vert..... It's a pile of rust, but like land, they aint making any more... regret it? I'll tell you when I'm driving it some day...

Buying a running driving old classic even if you paid too much for it is still money ahead vs. paying stupid money for a depreciating new piece of tin and plastic **** that’s destiny is the scrap heap. Many brag about how they got this deal or that or wouldn’t pay such and such for something old, always has to be a deal but when it comes to a new piece of ****, money and how much they blindly threw at it is irrelevant.

Buying old cars for projects? You are lucky if the have never made a bad purchase.
If you do make a mistake, figure it is sorta like starting colts. YOU learn pretty quick what did wrong or could have done better to not have caused him to try to pile drive your head in the dirt.
We learn pretty quick about buying projects and starting colts.
Old Mopars weren't born hiding, as pieces of crap or something some one else screwed totally up and most colts weren't born wanting to buck.

In a manor of speaking, every car and every part bought for it was a waste of money. And I enjoyed it every time and I’m ready to do it again! It’s all about having fun for me.

LMFAO!!!!

We will never get our total value our of our A bodies unless the are like the SS/H or SS/HA cars. I have a boat load of money in my bracket car but I bought it for me & the wife & I have fun with it.

I was talking to a co-worker about our cars’ worth and a lady co-worker chimend in and said “ Your cars are only worth something if you sell them”

I will mention this. Talking buying and/or selling. We the hobbiest, we set the value for our projects and restored cars, and all in between..both as buyers and sellers. Ever noticed as us the hardcore long term enthusiast, we can be the absolute most critical of value.

I see this mainly on the selling side of a restored car. If it does not sell quick, Joe drops the price. Joe tells himself all the $$ and work that went is, was "hobby fun"> OK so it was fun, so it is a hobby, but if that car has no more value to the guy that did the work and spent the $$ then why would a buyer, be old guy or especially new to the old Mopar deal want to pay anything above squat!?

Then on the buyers side, on the project type car, I see so many poor projects bought for IHMO way too many $$$ for all kinds of excuses. That roller should be bought where it can be made solid running, driving and not be upside down. Now the body/paint work, that is where spending $8000 on a car not worth of such or ather spending $1000 by the owner and him doing all the work comes in. One can make the car an expensive hobby th other side makes it all feasible. Same with engine work spending $10,000 on the teener motor will rarely ad up, to any thing but spending $$$ on an EXPENSIVE hobby car.
The right project can be restored by the owner and not break the bank or the wrong or even right car sent off for others to do can be an expensice hobby.
I guess the guy that keeps his hobby car cost under control is the guy that has the $$$ to buy the restored car from Joe for pennies on the $ !??? Right!? LOL

Last edited:
When my dad passed away, I bought a Porsche 911 off ebay from new york. had a 993 body kit (1995 body style which is why i bought it) Rust holes covered with plywood and drywall screws, rockers with expanding foam, and a NY re titled vin number. I CA an out of state car has to have the 2 matching Vin's to register, CHP could not find it so I couldn't even register it! I ended up parting it out and got my money back plus and then built what I wanted, that took over 10 years and more stories! Once I was done and drove it for a bit, I was over it and sold it. (pic is when I started putting the bumpers and interior back on)
20170603_143350_resized1.jpg

I work in the VW restoration parts biz, and it's the same with all the hobbiest i'm sure...
The most expensive car you'll have is the cheapest project car you buy!
I agree that "IF" you can, buy one ready to go and put your touches on it, but for a lot of us it isn't possible, so we go the cheap project car route and buy what we can here and there to fix our project up. I'm sure if we add it all up it would have been cheaper to just get the car that was ready to go!
For me the fun has always been the build, Once it's finished I enjoy it for a bit them sell it to work on something else that catches my eye. I've done plenty of VW's and had to get back to my Mopar roots and now have 3 64 Valiant Vert Projects, Hopefully 1 will be finished and out of paint jail in the next week or 2 then I will decide what to do with the other 2...Gen 3 hemi swap?...

-
Back