Where did this term "chunk" come from?

-
I know a guy who pronounces it Elderbrock. :BangHead: Every time I hear him say it, I ask if it's an OLD intake. Been asking him 20 years....and he has yet to figure out why I ask! :realcrazy:

Punkin Chunkin!!
1704727822010.png

I know a guy who pronounces it Elderbrock. :BangHead: Every time I hear him say it, I ask if it's an OLD intake. Been asking him 20 years....and he has yet to figure out why I ask! :realcrazy:
And just think of poor Weiand- they had to put the pronunciation right on their manifolds because nobody could get it right...
1704730281552.png

And just think of poor Weiand- they had to put the pronunciation right on their manifolds because nobody could get it right...
View attachment 1716189439
I was gonna mention Wee-and, in connection with Elderbrock.
I called my new pumpkin/chunk/chuck a center (or center section) when I ordered it,and show it off. Lighter, but I'm still gonna get help from my friend Jack

IMG_20231216_184639.jpg

IMG_20231216_184617.jpg

My brother lives near the IL/WI border, and his property backs-up to one of those "family adventure farms" where they "pumpkin chuck".... with an air cannon, of all things.

Entertaining as hell to sit on his deck and watch this, but by God can one of those pumpkins mess-up a minivan from about 1/4 mile away!

Last edited:
When I was a youngster an out of towner visited my dad's gas station in Florida and was bragging about running over a 100 mph on his trip south. Gas mileage came up, and he commented he was running a 2.76 gear, and when he got to where his was going, he would just swap it out and "Chunk" it in the trunk.

It stuck for me.

As per Webster dictionary Abbreviation. The differential is. "Chunk" The one pictured above would be called "Junk"

Most 8 3/4's That destroy themselves are not back braced and have long factory axle tubes. The tires flex the tube causing the axles to pull the carrier back and there goes the pinion climbing over the ring gear. Some use billet caps and studs to help hold the carrier forward. I found a good strong brace always worked for me.. Our new housing brace will go flange to flange and the U-bolts will go through the brace.
I'd love to open that IMO can of worms on 8.75 back braces, but I will save it for another time.

Ok ....personal pet peeve. It's always been a chuck and I started seeing people refer to a removable third member as a chunk.
Where did this come from? WTF is a chunk? I've always thought that people were just misinformed but now it seems like chunk is ok. It's a chuck no?
Destroyed into chunks.....

View attachment 1716189333

View attachment 1716189334
One probably landed on somebody's foot one time and they said "Oww what a effin CHUNK!"

That's because we use fossil fuel to generate electricity and don't have rolling brown outs with solar and wind generated electric. Also not too many EV's yet.
Did you notice that most responses are right coast?

-
Back