Which A-bodies do big blocks fit best in?

-
I used TTI headers 400SR218 for my 400 install. Didn't have to dimple dent cuss or well maybe some cursing.

The engine plate did help because I moved the engine up a half inch to clear the pitman arm, unsure how the Schumacher mounts would go.

I also have electric power steering so there is that.

Spark plugs will be a chore unless you have 3 elbows or willing to cut an access panel on the inner fender. #6 is my evil cylinder.
That's cheatin.
Baby big blocks don't count. :poke:

'67-up has a larger engine compartment than the early A's. The lowdeck is easier to install but still a royal PITA, true.

But it's worth it when you hit the pedal. I wouldn't trade my 451 for anything unless it was for a 470 or a 499
:steering:

Id go with a duster,demon or dart sport

The engine bay will be just as tight byt at least you'll have room for tires in the back
Good point. You can fit a serious tire in the back of a Duster/Dart Sport without even moving the springs in.
Even better if you move them in. :)

that's the truth, big blocks have been a pain to put in, been there and done that with some friends cars. I just sold all by small block stuff, so I'm not sure if I did want to do an of those an more. Being old and chonkers and trying to reach the distributor in the back with a bad back, bad leg, bad shoulder, bad breath, not sure it would be good for me anyway. Though this 73' he has does make me want to build a track car.

View attachment 1716085229

View attachment 1716085232

View attachment 1716085233

View attachment 1716085234

View attachment 1716085238

View attachment 1716085239
Do the Duster….leave the Nova…

With the grace from above, a torch, a welding rig, a large hammer and a lot of patience, you can put a BBM in just about anything. Oh, and a lot of disposable income. LOL

With the grace from above, a torch, a welding rig, a large hammer and a lot of patience, you can put a BBM in just about anything. Oh, and a lot of disposable income. LOL
I'm poor lol, just willing to maker happen.
The grace from above I'll gladly take.

So is there a size difference in engine compartments of 1967-1972 and 1973-1976 A-bodies? Still wondering if there are an benefits of using either car, even if it's just an inch difference in room.

So is there a size difference in engine compartments of 1967-1972 and 1973-1976 A-bodies? Still wondering if there are an benefits of using either car, even if it's just an inch difference in room.
‘67-‘76 A body engine bays are all the same size, the center link, idler, and pitman arms varied over model years and sometimes causes clearance issues. ‘63-‘66 engine bays are smaller and ‘60-‘62 engine bays even smaller (marginal)
I hope this helps.
Motor mounts are also their own along the years ‘73 was the last change until A bodies were discontinued.

67-76 engine compartments all the same. Just pick a car you like. The later the car 73+ the heavier they get.

Thanks for the info. Also, didn't know 1973+ was heavier. wonder wat was added for the weight increase?

Also to the op aluminum parts on a big block will be lighter than a small block with an aluminum intake.
The premium comes in on parts like nice fitting headers and other stuff.

'67-up has a larger engine compartment than the early A's. The lowdeck is easier to install but still a royal PITA, true.

But it's worth it when you hit the pedal. I wouldn't trade my 451 for anything unless it was for a 470 or a 499
:steering:
Agree 100% Well worth it! The headers are a pain for sure(I use CPPA,very similar to the TTIs out there now.) My little 470" will put a big smile on your face for sure. A little bit of chassis work(sway bars,frame connectors) and they handle/drive just fine.

Agree 100% Well worth it! The headers are a pain for sure(I use CPPA,very similar to the TTIs out there now.) My little 470" will put a big smile on your face for sure. A little bit of chassis work(sway bars,frame connectors) and they handle/drive just fine.
With all the difficulties of installing a BB in an A body, the distributor is in the front. All worth it to me. Tired of laying across the fender or carb trying to tweak or work the distributor. I love it up front.

With all the difficulties of installing a BB in an A body, the distributor is in the front. All worth it to me. Tired of laying across the fender or carb trying to tweak or work the distributor. I love it up front.
And don't forget being able to R&R the intake manifold without draining the coolant ;)

It's coming home next week. After selling the nova I got with it, it’s pretty much free. After the coronet and Trailduster are gone, I may build it with my mad max dodge charger project. Just have to vacuum out 15lbs of rodent poo to make it usable though.

IMG_7973.jpeg

IMG_7944.jpeg

IMG_7893.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

20211123_090020.jpeg

IMG_6926.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back