Which Clutch should i go with

-

6dart9

Reaction score
Here is my set up

I built a 340 with a 268 comp cam and plan on having headers and 4 barrel
not anything crazy on the motor it has the 2.02 heads

I need to know if i should get a performance clutch or if one like this will work
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=RAM-88766

I plan to do a hydraulic clutch kit the one from chucks classic cars.

Let me know what you guys think is the best clutch choice without spending a ton of dough

thanks
justin

That should be a fine replacement part.

Well, I came back here to the archives again to research. Now I'm confused. The first suggested pressure plate is a borg and beck (lever) type, and the second suggestion is a diaphram type. What type is original style ? I remember reading something about the clutch pedal not working right with one or the other, but can't remember which.
I need to change mine out, and as it is my daily driver, I sure would like to order correctly.
I am running a 273 HP 4-speed in my '64 Dart.
Thanks, Rick

Well, I have looked deeper in the archives, and now I am thinking everybody is confused.
DANG !

Anything but a JUNK HAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A stock replacement from RAM will work fine for your mild combo.JMO

It's $159 or $349
To go overkill or to not go overkill, that is the question. he he

I personally will never use a Borg and Beck style again. Many members have experienced a high early failure rate with that style.

I personally will never use a Borg and Beck style again. Many members have experienced a high early failure rate with that style.

With the 3 finger?

Mc leod's are of the 3 finger style but are quality.

I think think the RAM version is better than the regular replacement form napa, if not then I retract, but then again....if you race w/stock clutches then you're trying to break it and will succeed.

Thinking out load here.
The whole hays thing thats going around, well , sucks.
I ran the street strip clutch and it worked great except for the insane pedal pressure and the failure due to tight fork adjustment that cause the clutch to be slightly engaged, bummer.
Thing is after running a centerforce I see no reason to go back to the hays ,or any other for that matter.

Good luck with your decision.

With the 3 finger?

Mc leod's are of the 3 finger style but are quality.

I think think the RAM version is better than the regular replacement form napa, if not then I retract, but then again....if you race w/stock clutches then you're trying to break it and will succeed.

Thinking out load here.
The whole hays thing thats going around, well , sucks.
I ran the street strip clutch and it worked great except for the insane pedal pressure and the failure due to tight fork adjustment that cause the clutch to be slightly engaged, bummer.
Thing is after running a centerforce I see no reason to go back to the hays ,or any other for that matter.

Good luck with your decision.

Simply fact of the matter is....... We have had many threads where myself and other members have had early failure and/or hard shifting with the 3 finger style.

And It is not just Hays.

We have had VERY FEW threads where people have had problems with a diaphragm style (centerforce for example).

Search the threads and form your own opinion is all I'm saying.

273 hipo,,,do you have the orignal bell housing ? if so that would be a 9 1/2 inch clutch,,,not sure if centerforce makes one for that,,,mcleod probably does,,

3 finger is orignal to mopar,,diaphram is said to engauge smoother,,,

ive run hays street and strip ( gold cover ) in an A body heavypedal pressure and you will have to brace the fire wall or it will flex.

i have been using a center force dual friction street strip set up for 12 years now,,i love it i also have a hyd set up on the pedal,,and it has a perfect pedal feel,,,

they say running a diaphgram type pressue plate to remove the over center spring,,on your clutch pedal,,,this is the large spring under the dash above the clutch pedal,,,i ran the spring for 10 years before readin this info,,i have since removed the spring,,,i see no difference,,

if some one is in need of a slightly used hays unit il look at it and see what it looks like and take pics,,,make an offer,,if it wil help your budjet out,

Simply fact of the matter is....... We have had many threads where myself and other members have had early failure and/or hard shifting with the 3 finger style.

And It is not just Hays.

We have had VERY FEW threads where people have had problems with a diaphragm style (centerforce for example).

Search the threads and form your own opinion is all I'm saying.

I'm not trying to question your opinion of 3 finger clutches, it's cool.:cheers:

Who else makes a diaphragm clutch thats worth a toss behind real power?

Southland Clutch makes'em for your specific app and they don't fail.

One thing I'll point out is how flimsy the mopar fork pivot brackets are and how they cause the fork to contact the T.O & fingers un evenly, it's slight but enough to cause partial engagement instead of complete.
I make my own pivot fork brackets out of 1/4 nowadays .JMO

no big.

3 finger = hard pedal.

Diaphram = easy pedal.

If you plan on driving it everyday or at least don't want to feel like you are doing a workout when driving, grab a CF. Of course going to a hyd clutch throws most of that out the window.

My Dart still has the overcenter spring on it.

One of my friends ran a CF dual friction in a tractor pulling 440 pickup. Looked as good after a year of that abuse as it did the day it got installed.

I vote for the centerforce clutch also. I went through 3 or 4 B&B stlye clutches and had nothing but problems in my 71 Dart with a 340 and a regular 4 speed. Went to the centerforce, no more problems..

I`m running a Spec clutch now with a hydraulic TO bearing. You might check them out. Their entry level clutch will work with up to 480 ft.lbs. of torque.

I run a C.F dual friction.Took out my overcenter spring,easy peddle.Now I won,t use anything but!Pricey,but worth every penny!

273 hipo,,,do you have the orignal bell housing ? if so that would be a 9 1/2 inch clutch,,,not sure if centerforce makes one for that,,,mcleod probably does,,

ive run hays street and strip ( gold cover ) in an A body heavypedal pressure and you will have to brace the fire wall or it will flex.

i have been using a center force dual friction street strip set up for 12 years now,,i love it i also have a hyd set up on the pedal,,and it has a perfect pedal feel,,,

they say running a diaphgram type pressue plate to remove the over center spring,,on your clutch pedal,,,this is the large spring under the dash above the clutch pedal,,,i ran the spring for 10 years before readin this info,,i have since removed the spring,,,i see no difference,,

if some one is in need of a slightly used hays unit il look at it and see what it looks like and take pics,,,make an offer,,if it wil help your budjet out,

Thanks for the clarity !

This also added new un-certainty also, though. I installed the motor/trans together out of a wrecked '66, so I don't know the size. I had deducted it to be the 10 1/2 inch. This is the first time I have heard that the bell housing is special to the hipo.
I was hoping to order the parts and do the r/r overnight, as this is my daily driver. Is their a number for this bell-housing I could look for, or another way to tell how wide my clutch is ?
Thanks, Rick

Yes SIR, I am glad I listened to you, It is the 9 1/2 !

THANKS !!!!!!!!!! I am sure you saved me a fortune in time. ( returns ) or MONEY ( if I went e-bay etc. )

...and TIME is our most valued commodity, and MONEY is the least commodity I have.

:clock::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::clock:

-
Back