who makes best coil over front suspension

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I said stock suspension, I meant it is still using the stock K frame and torsion bars. There's not a lot he did to it that anyone else might not do for upgrades. We all usually put bigger or disc brakes on. Right? Reinforcing the LCAs was a very popular mod, last I checked. Also while the steering box may be rare, you can get a non rare one from flaming river.....yet another popular upgrade. RIGHT? All those things can be done a little at a time, rather than one big chunk. Again, I am not bashing anything. Simply saying it can be done without an aftermarket K. Oh and I'll come in here and say anything I please unless a mod tells me otherwise.

The original question was "who makes best coil over front suspension"

Answer--- NO ONE.
As long as people have opinions no one make the best suspension.

If you don't like the idea of changing your front suspension to gain the benefits of modern technology ( rack and pinion steering, adjustability, better braking , ride height adjustment,etc) LEAVE IT STOCK!!

The original question was "who makes best coil over front suspension"

Answer--- NO ONE.
As long as people have opinions no one make the best suspension.

If you don't like the idea of changing your front suspension to gain the benefits of modern technology ( rack and pinion steering, adjustability, better braking , ride height adjustment,etc) LEAVE IT STOCK!!

Exactly!

Nope, never even seen one up close and personal. I have driven plenty of R&P cars and currently have a very good handling daily driver (2000 Miata). I've been building Mopars that handle well since the early 1980s. My son and I also built a reasonably competitive CP class autocrosser (67 Barracuda fastback 383/4sp). What we lacked was horsepower, not handling. We also did this BEFORE Hotchkiss started addressing Mopars. We also spent less building that ENTIRE car in 2001 than the aftermarket front suspensions cost today...

Nope, never even seen one up close and personal. I have driven plenty of R&P cars and currently have a very good handling daily driver (2000 Miata). I've been building Mopars that handle well since the early 1980s. My son and I also built a reasonably competitive CP class autocrosser (67 Barracuda fastback 383/4sp). What we lacked was horsepower, not handling. We also did this BEFORE Hotchkiss started addressing Mopars. We also spent less building that ENTIRE car in 2001 than the aftermarket front suspensions cost today...

not to stir the pot, but that car had big nascar steam rollers on it.

No sense driving something I will never be able to afford nor buy if I could.

not to stir the pot, but that car had big nascar steam rollers on it.

Only for racing because we couldn't afford BETTER autocross tires (and we even made the custom offset small bolt pattern 15x10 rims). Even on good street tires it was almost competitive...

I'll bet the original poster wishes he would have worded his title a bit differently now. Looks like there are a few really good front suspension systems out there depending on how you want to use your car. A street system may work good on the track. A race system may work ok on the street. The original question is like asking which cam is best for a small block Mopar. There is no correct answers, just opinions depending on what you want your car to do. tmm

Sooooo......You guys (Jim and Rusty Rat) have NEVER driven one? What a nut buster!

.........and you wonder why I grin and shake my head.

One more time.....and please pay attention.

What really makes the difference is the steering....replacing the steering box with the rack is like night and day. I know from EXPERIENCE.

To make the geometry for the rack conversion correct, the LCA pivot points must be re-located. This makes using the factory torsion bars impossible. Replacing the torsion bars with coil overs is the logical answer.

It is really that simple....of course, there are previously mentioned ADDED benefits to the conversion.

You guys (Jim and Rusty Rat) have NEVER driven one?
What???

You guys are out here expounding your "opinions" on probably some very
impressionable young car builders and YOU HAVE NEVER EVEN DRIVEN ONE!

You've got a lot of nerve spouting your unfounded B.S. here on what should
be a source of reliable information for all participants.

I for one call on you to apologize to all members reading this thread as well
as I think, to RMS and HDK.

What a bunch of CRAP!

Ok, so we have a stock K that handles awesome but mods may include:

1. Upgraded (and rare) steering box
2. Big brake upgrade
3. Tubular UCA's
4. Reinforced LCA's
5. MP torsion bars
6. Poly bushings
7. Trick shocks
8. Custom sway bar

Uh.....could I have the check please.

This is great and it's a great car. Just don't try to tell me that the front end
is stock (Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining).

I have raced(autox and road course) with everything done as listed above except the lower arm bracing,and now with the RMS stuff. and I have proof and others observing as well that my times are WAY better with the RMS stuff. DSE even took notice at Run Though the Hills 2 years ago after we put it on. this whole thing was a learning curve and tuning takes time,which is where I am still at. so,in my opinion being on both sides of the fence,for the difference in money,i don't know why anyone wouldn't do it from a performance standpoint.

I have to say that if you have not tried a stock set-up (in good repair)
and then a good coil over/R&P setup (HDK in my experience) then you
are not qualified to comment on what is a revelation in steering and
handling improvement.

There is just simply no comparison. I'm not talking "a little better" but
more like "not even on the same planet" differences.

Not to mention that a stock K seems to lean, even with a factory sway
bar, more than a good riding coil over setup does without the sway bar
even hooked up.

No matter how good the original steering could be (properly adjusted,
no slop in the components etc), the R&P steering is leaps and bounds
better. Comparable to a new modern car.

Sooooo......You guys (Jim and Rusty Rat) have NEVER driven one? What a nut buster!

.........and you wonder why I grin and shake my head.

One more time.....and please pay attention.

What really makes the difference is the steering....replacing the steering box with the rack is like night and day. I know from EXPERIENCE.

To make the geometry for the rack conversion correct, the LCA pivot points must be re-located. This makes using the factory torsion bars impossible. Replacing the torsion bars with coil overs is the logical answer.

It is really that simple....of course, there are previously mentioned ADDED benefits to the conversion.

Nothing wrong with that, and I hear good things about your stuff, I'd love to drive one of your cars.

That said, the beauty of Mopars in MY eyes is how well they work for what they are. By the time I'd replaced 50 percent of the car with other stuff, I wouldn't feel comfortable calling it a Mopar, and I'd be in denial about what that vehicle truly was. Hanging a Mopar shell on an Indy Car chassis doesn't make it a Mopar, although it would be fun to drive. It's just a race car with a pretty face.

My car is amazingly stock, and I'm ok with that. 95% of the people installing all this stuff couldn't come close to pushing any car to its limits on a track (which is the sole location where limits should be pushed), let alone with all the goodies. I can't push my Dart to its limits as it sits!

Yes, a lot of problems are solved by these coilover kits and all the little bits and pieces. I'm just of the opinion that most people (and this statement is NOT limited to the discussion at hand, but the American public in general) are enthralled with solving problems that do not need to be solved; they buy this stuff because it's out there and therefore, they think they need it. Did the OP say, "I have this problem, and I need to see what to do to fix it." Do many people actually make that statement before "upgrading" their cars? I see a lot of folks that don't.

Hooray for tinkering, I just don't like fixing stuff that ain't broken. When I want a new modern car....I'll drive a new modern car.

if you like it factory....great.

However, some us us just can't leave our hands off anything....from making it custom to attempting to improve all aspects of performance.

Welcome to Hot Roddin 101......It is a blast! (I have been living it for 40 plus years)

What i don't get for the life of me is why do guy come onto this site and open threads like this about "customizing" or changing or what ever you call it and have negative comments or input that doesn't help the person out that asked the question.If you would never consider putting an aftermarket suspension in your car why even open the thread?Just to cause S#!T ?I just find it hard to understand.

What i don't get for the life of me is why do guy come onto this site and open threads like this about "customizing" or changing or what ever you call it and have negative comments or input that doesn't help the person out that asked the question.If you would never consider putting an aftermarket suspension in your car why even open the thread?Just to cause S#!T ?I just find it hard to understand.

When ya' think about it....it does kinda make ya' chuckle, doesn't it?

I know this thread is about handling but the coil over setups have 2+ other distinct advantages that are non-handling related. Oil pan fitment, header fitment, header and head choices. (plus looks)

....it does kinda make ya' chuckle, doesn't it?
Well, I'm not laughing. I think these guys have violated a trust in our
community by stating opinions not supported by facts.

Reckless statements like these could unduly influence the actions of other
members or could even damage member businesses.

Like Dr. Hemi, I'm waiting for an apology. Whether I get one or not,
their credibility with me is now less than zero.

Well, I'm not laughing. I think these guys have violated a trust in our
community by stating opinions not supported by facts.

Reckless statements like these could unduly influence the actions of other
members or could even damage member businesses.

Like Dr. Hemi, I'm waiting for an apology. Whether I get one or not,
their credibility with me is now less than zero.

a little extreme. i didn't see either one of them say the coil over systems were garbage. just that you can get great results form a properly put together stock type of system. they are correct and that is a fact. i do agree that their reply really have nothing to do with the OP's question though and probably shouldn't have been posted.

having to do an entire front end rebuild anyway i went with the rms system at the time because of all the good things i had heard about it.. gave me a ton of room (my god is it easy to work on now) and man does it drive nice. i'll probably never actually race it but damn its nice to drive on the street. it is like a modern car and thats what i wanted, i'm not a purist so it really doesn't matter what parts i use as long as its going to improve my car some how.. its so controllable and predictable. if i add weight to it like an a/c setup i can change the spring rate in a few minutes and for under $100 with a spring change same if i lighten it up. the feel of the steering is just incredible and really not easy to explain without you driving it. bill explained it best i guess years ago when he told me the best way to explain is precise. and that it is.

a little extreme.
I don't think so Joe.

My opinion is that statements made were not just in passing but their
unfounded nature could be considered to be "maliciously misleading".

I appreciate your view but I stand by my comments.

This will be long and I'll probably flamed after some read it. I bought the control freak front and rear suspensions w/double adj afcos for my 68' Valiant I've been working on for 7 yrs. But I have driven a car with this suspension on it but was not on a road course. The car handled more like a late model sports sedan. I really don't care what others think. I want what I want. I paid Ryan J a lot for my R3-W5 headed 440" small block. I bought a new t56 magnum kit for it, a new dana 60 and 6 piston wildwood brakes for all 4 corners from DR diff, Holley Dominator EFI and classic air for it. I bought the control freak because it looks better than the RMS. This project has taken twice as long and cost twice as much as I had intended it to. But when I do finish it. It will look like I want, handle like I want, stop like I want, and be different from what most people are used to seeing. Everybody's reasons for doing what we do to cars is different. I wanted a pro touring car. If I were building a road course car or a drag car I would have done things differently. So I guess the bottom line is there is no best coil over suspension It's just which ever one appeals to you the most.

I've just caught up on reading this thread from a couple days ago and just shake my head in Disgust...this is why I do most of my posting on
Lateral-G these days, I've seen enough trends on this site of people jumping in all the time with non relative information to the question and don't get me started on the Restoration thread that has everything from Schwinn bicycles to every type of Non A body out there...if I want to see a wrecked challenger or old rusty Dodge pick up I'll go to the appropriate site for that...what part of "For A bodies ONLY" is confusing.....

After reading tvt59's post above I thought his Valiant build sounded
really interesting so I visited his profile and looked at his topics.

The first thread I opened from about two years ago was on his Control
Freak suspension choice. Again, this topic appealed to me so I started
to read the posts and....OMG!

Three out of the first five posts were by guys who were dissing aftermarket
suspensions and what they cost. They were promoting keeping the stock
suspensions instead.

Now who do you think those two guys were? I can't believe tvt59
didn't mention it when he posted here. Read link below:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=134972

Well I didn't see any reason to bring that up. To each their own. I'm getting closer to getting my car finished. After It's finished I can then speak from experience. You can see I've been a member a long time without many post. I have been a ASE certified master automotive tech for 32 yrs. I run one of the most productive tire and service locations in the south. Honestly I could make most of this stuff myself. But after working 12 hrs a day it's hard to make myself do that. Hopefully I'll be driving it by the spring of 15'

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back