Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen all of 3 RMS units at events.
While I admire what you are doing out there in PT (believe me, I do), it just
doesn't translate to my desire to have a nice driving street car with a Gen II
426 Hemi in an A-Body.

Certainly it's gratifying to know that the strength and durability are present
in the product but for me you might as well say "Boy, there sure aren't many
RMS or HDK units participating over there at the Mud races".

I desire the coil-over conversion to accomodate the engine, not to turn record
setting lap times, although it looks like both versions are more than capable of
great handling.

I know that you're sort of out there alone representing Mopars in that aspect
of the hobby and it will ultimately be great to see you have some company
from other RMS and eventually some HDK competitors also.

You're using your RMS set-up to do something that you point out a well tuned
Hotchkis equipped vehicle might do just as well or better. Point taken, I just
don't think that the autocross thing is the primary goal of most purchasers
of coil-over conversion set-ups. It certainly isn't mine.

While I admire what you are doing out there in PT (believe me, I do), it just
doesn't translate to my desire to have a nice driving street car with a Gen II
426 Hemi in an A-Body.

Certainly it's gratifying to know that the strength and durability are present
in the product but for me you might as well say "Boy, there sure aren't many
RMS or HDK units participating over there at the Mud races".

I desire the coil-over conversion to accomodate the engine, not to turn record
setting lap times, although it looks like both versions are more than capable of
great handling.

I know that you're sort of out there alone representing Mopars in that aspect
of the hobby and it will ultimately be great to see you have some company
from other RMS and eventually some HDK competitors also.

You're using your RMS set-up to do something that you point out a well tuned
Hotchkis equipped vehicle might do just as well or better. Point taken, I just
don't think that the autocross thing is the primary goal of most purchasers
of coil-over conversion set-ups. It certainly isn't mine.

I think that without driving as many of the different systems as I have I would say that you may be making an uninformed decision. With the Digressive Valving that is tuned into our shocks, with a specific coding that is built into each "blank" shock sent to Hotchkis from Fox we are able to tune highspeed and low speed dampening rates. We are able to provide ride quality and tuning that is second to none. I'd challenge you to ask what valving is tuned into HDK or the RMS systems? The answer is most likely: none. They order "adjustable" units from Ridetech or QA-1, that have a generic valving built in. the adjustable range may not be adequate for your car and the range of adjustment may not be sufficient for that vehicle.

Until development of the Hotchkis TVS, I had planned on running an RMS setup and caging the car. It was the best thing on the market. Now there is something better. The only advantage I see in the RMS setup is if you are building a tube car to go drag racing and need more header clearance.

I cant wait to get my Hemi Barracuda with the HDK installed. I have had a HDK since 2000. The development of the HDK since 2000 until now is really cool to see. We are friends so I will just say that when I finished my 528 Hemi, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc brake 71 Duster with a flat hood and a HDK front suspension I couldn't believe how nice that car drove and it was in 2 magazines to boot! .......I'm not a PT guy or a rally guy but if you want a great handling, driving Hemi (insert any engine you like here) A-body then the HDK is the way to go.....

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 351
  • 270.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 374
....... I'd challenge you to ask what valving is tuned into HDK or the RMS systems? The answer is most likely: none. They order "adjustable" units from Ridetech or QA-1, that have a generic valving built in. the adjustable range may not be adequate for your car and the range of adjustment may not be sufficient for that vehicle.

....... The only advantage I see in the RMS setup is if you are building a tube car to go drag racing and need more header clearance.

you make a couple of valid points.....( I just luv spitballin'... or bench racing...whatever you want to call it)

for the racer, shocks are a very important tuning tool. Remember NASCAR, they actually started limiting what shocks or even what you could do (valving) with the shock. But most of us hot rodders wouldn't have a clue how to tune or what to do with them other than bolt them in. Hence, we like to keep it in the world of somewhat simple and cost-effective.

Also, I will bet you have experienced first hand the guy you put in a double throw down (not cheap) handling set-up only to see him pole-putt. Understanding what your set-up wants and how to relay it to your crew....or yourself, combined with that unique racer "eye of the tiger" makes the difference in being a "also ran" and the top rung.

for me, the people I have built are more interested in placing a very large motor in the space designed for a small block. Furthermore, it must fit without a lot of body modification...under a flat hood.....and did I mention A/C and heat are a must...and if it can handle better and the steering not be so sloopy, yeah, that's good too. ....BTW, can you make the car drive 3" off the ground? For these builds....the rack and pinion combined with a coilover conversion is a must.....header clearance is the least of the challenge.

and some of us, not all of course, ...what shock valving???? we just like the way it (the conversion) looks!

Please don't get me wrong......if I was closer, I would camp in your parking lot and follow you guys to the track..... just to watch (and learn), of course.

I would say that you may be making an uninformed decision.
I'm uninformed? So what torsion bar hotchkis setup should I be using to
install a Gen II 426 Hemi with full length tube headers in a 67-76 Mopar
A-body with wipers, a heater, A/C and a flat hood?

To the best of my knowledge there isn't one.

I do understand that HemiDenny built one some years ago (green Duster
in his signature) and it worked but it was an arduous task and not really
practicle with the advent of the RMS and HDK kits.

I appreciate you wanting to participate and though I would not devalue
the information you provided here, I think that you're answering questions
that no one asked and that they would be much better suited to a thread
regarding the best handling Autocross/Pro-Touring suspension package.

Would I like to have a great handling car? - YES!

Do I like the kind of cars you build and the racing you do? - YES!

Is the suggestion your making of any help to me? - NO!!!

In a thread asking specifically about coil-over setups, I don't know
why you're so hell-bent on sticking your nose in to discredit all coil-over
types in lieu of the classic hotchkis/ torsion bar type when that is not
the question.

Don't think I don't know what a really good handling car is. When I'm
not around Mopars my butt is parked in the seat of a long line of the
best sports cars that Europe has to offer but that is not the point here.

You're like the Federal Government. Only you know what is good for me
and it's not what I asked for.

So I think most of us either fall on the side of RMS or HDK when were specifically talking about the original question...so you have do ask yourself is one worth an extra $1000 just because somebody took one around a couple turns a little faster the rest of us have so far.

I like the idea of the torsion bar suspension if you're not wanting to
swap in a 426 Hemi, especially with poly bushings and a modern fast
ratio steering box; not to mention some modern shocks.

Note though that the Hotchkis TVS setup mentioned above is not cheap
and doesn't include a steering box if an upgrade is needed.

It does include a set of matching rear leaf springs but it costs as much
as a complete front coil-over system.

If I was spending that kind of money I would want to be able to easily
swap in a Gen II or III Hemi later even though I might have a A or B
motor for now.

http://www.hotchkis.net/search.html?Make=49&Model=1347&SubmitForm=Search

So I think most of us either fall on the side of RMS or HDK when were specifically talking about the original question...so you have do ask yourself is one worth an extra $1000 just because somebody took one around a couple turns a little faster the rest of us have so far.

Thanks for pointing out the price difference....often overlooked in the discussion.

I like to point out,..... I do not think there is anything else on the market that would work for the stance of your ride with your front wheel /tire combo.....Not as a bolt-in anyways that you can drive and not just look at.

Sounds to me like Dr Hemi and others here want the versatility of
the RMS/HDK setups but then Mr DTMRacing is saying "Hold up! You
want to retain the torsion bars and use the Hotchkis setup because
it might be (I repeat, might be) a few hundreths quicker on the PT
of GG handling courses".

I don't believe that any of the Hemi swappers care spit about that.
That was not their goal and actually, I don't believe it was anybody's
goal other than the couple of guys who are participating in it.

My personal view is that neither one of these coil-over setups is going
to be a slouch when it comes to driving or handling pleasure and race
tuning be damned, all reports I have heard extol the vastly improved
steering, handling and road feel they produce compared to the original
suspension.

So, the discussion of how you can improve the torsion bar setup with
the Hotchkis, however admirable, doesn't seem to be a concern to
most here. Their prime focus is in eliminating the torsion bars.

makes me want to just get a roller together and take it down the river road(along the Mississippi) AKA the river parishes ant try it out. Very twisty. And I think its alil more than $1000 difference in prices

sorry guys,i didn't mean to high jack your thread or anything. the original question was about what COILOVER suspension we all thought was the best and threw in my two cents. I can respect the early hemi thing,don't understand it,but whatever. bill has one in his dart and he likes it I guess. all I'm sayin is,if you want performance fourlinks and coilovers are the way to go. I have been on both sides of the fence,and my car is faster with the RMS parts.

If Ehrenberg can take a 69 Valiant with stock torsion bar suspension and kick *** at One Lap of America with, Vipers and Vettes, I don't see the need for any of the coil over stuff......unless perhaps a Hemi swap is involved. Other than that, it's a waste of money and only for bragging IMO. The Mopar front suspension is one of the best of its time. Perhaps the best. Especially with a few small modifications.

I don't see the need for any of the coil over stuff......unless perhaps a Hemi swap is involved. Other than that, it's a waste of money and only for bragging IMO.

I tried a modified stock suspension and there was no way I could get the desired ride height out of it, so I switched to a coil over set up and now have the lowered ride height I want, it had nothing to do with "BRAGGING" it had to do with necessity for ride height as with 95% of the other builds here that switch to coil over suspension.

Oh. So it's all about looks then. Ok.

Nobody said there wasn't room for improvement, just that great handling does not require coil overs. I won't go into the reasons people choose different ways to build their cars.

Just my 2 cents.

The reason I have gone to the RMS coil over setup is my car is RHD and with the stock location of the engine (Slightly to the right) still a small block
And with a big chunky steering box also on the right, Header choice is unavailable and basically only custom headers are my fix, TTI now have a off the shelf header to fit with the RMS I hear.:D

Plus I am looking for the adjustability and performance coil overs provide, as I will be driving my car on the road and to the track.

And the use of Mustang II stubs opens up the choice of brakes.
As my car will have 18" wheels and big brakes (My car, my money, my choice. I don't care if you don't like MY choices :finga:).

Had I known of the HDK I may have looked into it.
From what I have read about the HDK looks like it could fit my personal application very well.

I have looked at the magnum force kits and the reviews and comments have steered me away and towards the RMS kit.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back