Wix filters and 340 HP manifolds

-
My opinion? Use the biggest best filter you can fit.
If you have to use a smaller filter, then you have to. Change it a little more often.

51348: 2.2 teacup. Smaller diameter, 1" shorter than 51068
51335: omni glhs, shortest, half as long as a 51515.
51085: 1/2" shorter than 51068
Then there's.......
51773: diesel, 1 1/2 times as long as 51515, quart and a half capacity.

These are wix numbers, for a Napa number, delete the front five.
Thanks for the info. Will save for future reference.

This is info cut from link by RustyRatRod. Notice to Wix 51515. Application was for international but applies to Chrysler as well. Looked up my application on Baldwin web site. It came up with Baldwin B2. The 7 inch might benefit others but would research to confirm.

The best 7 inch (referred to as 2 quart) oil filters in preferred order:

– 1 – Baldwin: B7311-MPG - the best of all Wix and Baldwin oil filters
– 2 – Baldwin: BT217, BT237 - same filter, different part numbers
– 3 – Baldwin: BT251
– 4 – Wix: 51459

– III –
The best 5 inch (referred to as 1 quart) oil filters in preferred order:

– 1 – Baldwin: B2-HPG
– 2 – Baldwin: B2
– 3 – Wix: 51452
– 4 – Wix: 51806
– 5 – Wix: 51515

51348: 2.2 teacup. Smaller diameter, 1" shorter than 51068
51335: omni glhs, shortest, half as long as a 51515.
51085: 1/2" shorter than 51068
Then there's.......
51773: diesel, 1 1/2 times as long as 51515, quart and a half capacity.

These are wix numbers, for a Napa number, delete the front five.

this should be a sticky somewhere..

Contacted Baldwin. Though the 7 inch filters in the list will fit, user can expect higher back pressure. What was not listed is the 7 inch B7231 which I am told is a comparable replacement. Again, contact Baldwin for confirmation.

Last edited:
Geez, We ran Fram PH43's forever back in the day when these engines were new.........Never a problem. Everything has to get complicated :BangHead:

been using 51515 filters with those 340 hp manifolds on 3 LA small blocks on 3 1970 Darts for 30 years... I think they work!

Thanks for the offer but I only have a standard oil pan so would like to see 5 qts in the engine though the more I think about it, it would not matter. Had issues with Milidon and their oil pickup. It was too high off the bottom of oil pan. Got it corrected but took some time. Think everyone should check for this.
Not sure if it will work in a Mildon pan, but a truck or van has a deeper pick up than the cars. Note: the deeper pans will not fit the cars from vans or trucks, due to the sump is backwards.

If you can use the longer filter do it. 68 and 69 used the same longer oil filter in 1970 the filter per the company they listed using the shorter one. the exhaust manifolds were the same 68 thru 70 in 1971 they changed the passenger side. I had a exhaust shop make mine.after I through away the rusted out headers.

If you can use the longer filter do it. 68 and 69 used the same longer oil filter in 1970 the filter per the company they listed using the shorter one. the exhaust manifolds were the same 68 thru 70 in 1971 they changed the passenger side. I had a exhaust shop make mine.after I through away the rusted out headers.
Thanks. I did order the longer filter. Only running stock oil pan so need all I can get. Have received so fantastic info on positioning the 90 degree filter adapter.

Thanks. I did order the longer filter. Only running stock oil pan so need all I can get. Have received so fantastic info on positioning the 90 degree filter adapter.
Big filter , lots of room , hope the photo helps , if you need pic of filter in the vehicle let me know

F2BE150B-82CB-4F93-A6A7-DFAD8C948189.jpeg

Thanks. I can see the alignment tab referenced in previous post. Looks like your right on it. Hope you put enough plastic down. I painted part of my office carpet. Yes it's inside.
Lol
My matching number block was painted in my garage . Paint was matched to a survivor 69 swinger . The paint on the block still looks like the picture 3 years later . Glad to help out

Lol
My matching number block was painted in my garage . Paint was matched to a survivor 69 swinger . The paint on the block still looks like the picture 3 years later . Glad to help out
Clark, you are half correct. That color is for a automatic, Hemi orange is for the 4-speed cars. I have one and have a original dealer brochure showing it as hemi orange for the 4-speed.

Terry truck 076.jpg

Clark, you are half correct. That color is for a automatic, Hemi orange is for the 4-speed cars. I have one and have a original dealer brochure showing it as hemi orange for the 4-speed.

View attachment 1716101492
All 69 swingers were turquoise. Mine is a 4 spd car . Still has original overspray paint on the clutch fork boot . However we have seen some oddball things coming out of the factory . Perhaps it was special ordered hemi orange ? Your engine bay looks great btw

4E975DB8-18D5-451C-9B99-D9F2ECA3E0EA.jpeg

This is what a 51515 filter looks like on a 340 in a '69 Dart with Doug's headers for reference only...

DSC08216.JPG

-
Back